Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Is it possible to go back on a new car?

I bought a X1 last night and my wife hates the fact it has no rear camera. My car I traded had a rear camera and she wants it back.

I am pretty sure I am screwed but what do you have to add?
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
You have three days to decide if you want to back out of the contract, go back to the dealer and put the keys on their desk and tell them to give you your car back, they have to comply with it, it should say on your contract about the three days, I've done it once, they had put 50 miles on my car but I put 200 on theirs. they might not be happy about it but who cares, is your right and there is nothing they can do about it.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
Check the contract papers you signed regarding a "contract cancellation option". Otherwise, according to this link, NY state excludes automobile purchases from the "cooling-off" rule.

Why not go back and try to find one with reversing camera? They may be more willing to accommodate a swap.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM

its not possible to just get out. The 3 day rule is if you buy something at home like a vacume cleaner or refinance your home.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 128
Just go back and explain your situation.

Any guy who has ever even been on a single date in his life -- let alone been married -- will understand.

I'm sure something satisfactory can be worked out. It's not like you're dealing with "Carl's Crappy Used Cars".
Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM

My wife is coming around. I just have to get her a rear view camera :o)
Old 10-21-2012, 06:22 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Note to self: consult with wife before buying new car.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 10-21-2012, 06:31 PM

LOL I would but she would just insist her car is fine.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
Just go back and explain your situation.

Any guy who has ever even been on a single date in his life -- let alone been married -- will understand.
I'm sure something satisfactory can be worked out. It's not like you're dealing with "Carl's Crappy Used Cars".

Back at the Option Ranch, I wonder how BMW continues to get away with making those normal 'tech' things and gizmos, 'options'? My CEO's 2010 Hyundai Tucson($28G sticker), came with back up cam, BT, USB plugs, Ipod cable, NAV, etc. Not comparing her car to 'BMW', but the BMW bean counters are ripping the US public/chasing the Biff&Buffy leases, imo.
GL, mD
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

Back at the Option Ranch, I wonder how BMW continues to get away with making those normal 'tech' things and gizmos, 'options'? My CEO's 2010 Hyundai Tucson($28G sticker), came with back up cam, BT, USB plugs, Ipod cable, NAV, etc. Not comparing her car to 'BMW', but the BMW bean counters are ripping the US public/chasing the Biff&Buffy leases, imo.
GL, mD
My dad bought a fully loaded honda crv the same time we bought our stripped down x1. We were pretty close in price but he got WAY more accessories than I did. With car prices rising on lower models I do wonder how much longer BMW can do this too.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota
supply and demand. also compare apples to apples

I want to start by saying that this is not directed at anyone and this is not meant to be offensives...

I cannot agree to the notion that because one is buying a luxury brand car, all the options must now all of a sudden be standard.

The 28k car comes with all those nice things standard because you paid for them. Thinking on the flip side, why does hyundai want to give you all those things for "free"? That is no less bean counting than bmw charging 900 bucks for Harmon kardon stereo.

To be somewhat blunt, bmw charges what they charge because there is a demand.
Similarly, I am sure many people would love to buy a stripped down version for 32k.

If you think you paid 45k for a car that is the same as the 28k hyundai, then you either don't know enough about bmw cars or cant do the math and figure out where the 17k went
Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM
RetiredBum

Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '02VetteVert
Semi-OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustas View Post
I want to start by saying that this is not directed at anyone and this is not meant to be offensives...

I cannot agree to the notion that because one is buying a luxury brand car, all the options must now all of a sudden be standard.

If the X1 is 'luxury' doesn't that connotation cover most of the usual stuff found in non-lux cars?

The 28k car comes with all those nice things standard because you paid for them. Thinking on the flip side, why does hyundai want to give you all those things for "free"? That is no less bean counting than bmw charging 900 bucks for Harmon kardon stereo.

I fully realize that H, Honda, Mazda, and all the domestic 'suv' makers are chasing price points and market share...

To be somewhat blunt, bmw charges what they charge because there is a demand.
Similarly, I am sure many people would love to buy a stripped down version for 32k.

If you think you paid 45k for a car that is the same as the 28k hyundai, then you either don't know enough about bmw cars or cant do the math and figure out where the 17k went

I said/wrote, "Not comparing her car to 'BMW', "... am completely aware that their are 'differences' between a $28G Hyundai Tucson and a $45G X1. My CEO could have picked any car, within reasonable economics; the X1 wasn't really out then, and her $28G Tuck does what she wants. I doubt the $45G X1 will do those errands 'better'.
Not trying to arm wrestle, as I was careful in my orig post to avoid such. If the Fans like/put up with $3-$5G 'packages' to get what many mfg'ers are putting on most models as std, that is your choice. My point was the upcharges seem to me to be considerable for what is now considered pretty common equipment. I have been driving cars for 50 years; our X5 and Vette are both remarkable cars in their own right. Not new, but fabulous cars...

Back to driving the 3 car and 3 m'cycle beaters we have...
'10 Hyundai Tucson for the CEO, & 3 Assorted M'Cycles.
BMW CCA mem. Tarheel Chapter
My Flickr...Scenes,Cars & Road Trip Pics:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45275375@N00/

Last edited by motordavid; 10-24-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Not trying to arm wrestle, as I was careful in my orig post to avoid such. If the Fans like/put up with $3-$5G 'packages' to get what many mfg'ers are putting on most models as std, that is your choice. My point was the upcharges seem to me to be considerable for what is now considered pretty common equipment. I have been driving cars for 50 years; our X5 and Vette are both remarkable cars in their own right. Not new, but fabulous cars...
Understood, motordavid.

I fully agree with you that it comes down to choice.
Edmunds dot com also notes clearly the costs of these option packages.

Quote:
Cons... reasonable base price skyrockets quickly due to packaged options structure.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
Perhaps there is a BMW accessory the dealer can add that would appear to be a factory option? If not, there are certainly aftermarket suppliers, but the installation might not be as "clean".

Otherwise, if you act quickly enough and all the paperwork hasn't been completed, perhaps the dealer can put you in a higher-optioned (more expensive) model without having to relabel your car as used.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
When I started shopping for a new car in July, before even hearing a rumor of the X1, I looked at a 2012 Prius V fully loaded (Model Five with Advanced Tech). That's with 140 HP. I remembered the price as being low 30s, but I just checked the Toyota site, and they show 35K for that model, 2013. I also looked at the new Ford Escape, which has Titanium as top of the line. 31-33K, with 210 horsepower, as I recall. More cargo space, true, and power liftgate. Almost immediately there was a recall, and i thought "Hmm, better not..."

So those compare to a base BMW X1, and when you add Premium and Tech, you are up to what, 38K? Is a 5K premium really so much for a BMW? For a lot of people, sure. Not for me.

But speaking of the Hyundai, take a look at the Kia Soul with the "Exclaim" package. It has leather, nav, pano roof, rear view camera, i think even Xenon, though not sure of that. For 24K! I test drove it. Drove like a Kia Soul. A little loud and rough, but kind of fun. But yeah I wanted something nicer.

I then jumped all the way to a Q5, which is up to 45 for a package with Nav, etc. Also looked at 2013 Acura RDX, which is 38-39 with Tech. No pano roof though, just the front "sunroof" - I discovered I really missed that.

So the X1 came along and stole my heart. And in the end I ordered Ultimate, Lighting and H/K. Just over 40K.

Four weeks to go!

I suppose if I hate it I can trade it in a couple years from now on a straight swap for the Kia Soul. ;-)
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
So the X1 came along and stole my heart. And in the end I ordered Ultimate, Lighting and H/K. Just over 40K.
How much above invoice is that? sDrive, xDrive?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Mullini

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW sDrive 28i X1
I was referring to MSRP, which is 40820, as I recall, and I asked for 3% off, and initialed that with the manager. But I guess I can play hardball when it comes down to negotiating and see what else I can do before the final papers. I just have a feeling I'll be so happy to see the car I'll just pay up and be happy...