Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Likely E84 prod date end?

Hi, my wife and I are making plans to visit Europe in late-spring/summer of 2015 and I'd like to take Euro delivery of an E84 X1 at this time. I know BMW is planning on switching over to a Mini-based FWD platform sometime, probably in 2015. Anyone have any information on the latest one could order a USA-spec, E84-based X1 for Euro delivery?

Thanks,

- Mark
Ads by Google
Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 991 C2S Porsche
The model changeover for the X-1 has been March in the past. I would guess the last of the present configuration X-1's will occur in February. Since they started producing the 2015 model in March, 2014, I can't see them starting any sooner that that for the new platformed cars.
You're smart to get the last of the present style X-1's (especially if you order a 3.5). The proposed rendition seems like a glorified Mini Countryman.
Additionally, the 2016 X-1's will not have a 6 cylinder engine with 300HP. From what has been published, they may not have a 6 for a long time if at all.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM

I fear you're right and I will be past the ordering window by the time we're ready in early 2015 to order. Like you, I don't have much interest in the new FWD-based X1. Maybe I'll move my sights up to the X3. (Edit: just realized that X3's are made in Spartanburg and aren't available for Euro delivery.)

There are a few sources which talk about the intro of the new X1 being delayed in the US such that the new-platform won't be available until calendar year 2016. If so, the 2015 E84's production might extend into the spring. But I think your timeline is probably more likely.

- Mark

Last edited by markjenn; 04-21-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
You might get lucky.
I'm speculating, but sometimes, the next year production won't start until June or July which BMW could do for the launch of the new X1.
IIRC, the LCI launch of the 2013 X1 into the US began production in July of 2012.
But then quickly starting building the 2014's in March of 2013.

Having said that, why not a new X1?
I know people love the RWD based platform, but an Xdrive X1 will still be an X1 with Xdrive.
Perhaps some of the power train will be different, but I can't see it being worse.
I'm optimistic it will still be a fun car to drive.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Having said that, why not a new X1?
I know people love the RWD based platform, but an Xdrive X1 will still be an X1 with Xdrive.
Perhaps some of the power train will be different, but I can't see it being worse.
I'm optimistic it will still be a fun car to drive.
I agree. As long as you want AWD, it doesn't make much difference what the base drivetrain is. Audi Quattro is based on a FWD platform and it seems to be pretty well regarded.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:26 AM

We'll have to see about the new X1.... what improves and what doesn't. What I do know is that the E84-based X1 is very, very good and have absolutely no interest in owning the first year of any new BMW platform.

- Mark
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X1 xDrive28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
I agree. As long as you want AWD, it doesn't make much difference what the base drivetrain is. Audi Quattro is based on a FWD platform and it seems to be pretty well regarded.
This might not be the case. A FWD-based platform with a transverse mounted engine could have considerably worse front to rear weight distribution than what the current X1 has with the engine mounted much further back.

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Old 05-16-2014, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: All over Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I fear you're right and I will be past the ordering window by the time we're ready in early 2015 to order. Like you, I don't have much interest in the new FWD-based X1. Maybe I'll move my sights up to the X3. (Edit: just realized that X3's are made in Spartanburg and aren't available for Euro delivery.)

There are a few sources which talk about the intro of the new X1 being delayed in the US such that the new-platform won't be available until calendar year 2016. If so, the 2015 E84's production might extend into the spring. But I think your timeline is probably more likely.

- Mark
I've been trying to get an answer to this question as well, as I hate new platforms rolling out a year after I get into a lease (ridiculous to many who love the current X1, I know). The fact that it took forever to get the X1 into the states (even Canada got the it before us!), would make me very surprised to see the next generation over here a year from now. It won't even debut until this fall, and a Spring '15 release in Germany is natural. A Fall '15 release over here is my guess, since the MB GLA (all new everything) and Audi Q3 (old car - ancient platform) will be having their launches this fall stateside. I think this will push up the timeline for the next X1 here in N.A. by a few months.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: All over Jersey
Two weeks later and not even a comment or guess on this?

It's only a matter of time...........
Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Hi, my wife and I are making plans to visit Europe in late-spring/summer of 2015 and I'd like to take Euro delivery of an E84 X1 at this time. I know BMW is planning on switching over to a Mini-based FWD platform sometime, probably in 2015. Anyone have any information on the latest one could order a USA-spec, E84-based X1 for Euro delivery?

Thanks,

- Mark
Easy enough to rent a BMW in Germany and they are pretty cheap to rent at that.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
Easy enough to rent a BMW in Germany and they are pretty cheap to rent at that.
Of course this is true, but like most who do ED, I'm not primarily interested in ED as a simple substitute for renting a car.

- Mark
Old 05-29-2014, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Of course this is true, but like most who do ED, I'm not primarily interested in ED as a simple substitute for renting a car.

- Mark
Why do it then? BMW doesn't give you anything for doing it. Volvo gives you round trip airfare, free hotel stay and money off the car. You end up paying for a car while it is in transport and get no benefit. Plus you won't have diesel vehicle and will pay a ton for gas. I like getting rentals. In past two years I had a Skoda in Iceland, Peuget in Spain and Portugal and a Mercedes in Germany and Austria. All got great gas mileage. And when I had two ding ups in Portugal my car was at home unscathed.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
Why do it then? BMW doesn't give you anything for doing it.
You need to do your homework on BMW's ED program. I have no interest in debating its merits in this thread.

- Mark