Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i M Sport
2015 X1 - odd problem, leak from hood

2015 X1 x35i Msport, ultimate package, Le Mans Blue.

Got my X1 in late Dec, all has been good with the car. Few small things that BMW has dealt with in a petty reasonable manner.

I had it in for its first oil change (6k miles) yesterday. I had noticed that on the front fascia, below the inside corner of both headlights, there appeared to be something running down the front of each headlight. Almost looked like the car was crying because whatever was running came from the inside lower corner of each headlight (like tears from tear ducts) .. and ran down the full fascia.

I showed this to my Service Advisor, and we opened the hood. There are two black rubber stops on either side of the hood, and both of them had some kind of fluid built up on them (felt like a lubricant, not sticky). This fluid had built up in the area where these rubber stops are seated when the hood is down. Enough of this fluid had built up that it had spilled out of the hood area and run down the inside housing between the headlights and the grille, then pooled a bit at the base, inside corner, of each headlight, then continued to run down the front fascia.

SA did not know what it was and we added this to the inspection request. When I picked up the car, the SA told me it was "just some lubricant in the hood structure that must have liquefied and ran due to heat"

I do live in CA (east of SF) where the summer heat can get to be over 100F for several days in a row, and the car is a dark color, so it would get pretty hot under the hood, even without engine heat, and I can imagine that some materials could melt down and cause these drips that I am seeing. But still ...........

So, my question is, has anyone else had something similar happen to their X1, and does anyone think that this seems wrong somehow. Why would BMW use a material in the manufacturing of the hood that would melt in modestly high temps (for cars anyway) and run down the front of the car. In my case the stuff has baked on pretty good, and while it did come off, it did take some major elbow grease on my part.

thoughts, experiences ??

Last edited by pfschim; 08-20-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2015, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 GTI, x1 x28 incoming
Is it waxy? If so, probably just cosmoline.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:22 PM
BMW: Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
Had it on my 2014 X1 xDrive 35i M-Sport as well, just some of the cosmoline. Cleaned it off a year ago and it hasn't returned.....

2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport Mineral Grey over Nevada Black Ultimate HK (present)
2011 BMW 328i M-Sport Alpine White over Nevada Black (gone)
1999 BMW M Roadster Estoril over Estoril (gone)
Others: 4 Mazdas, 7 VWs, 7 Hondas, 1 Acura, 2 Toyotas, 1 Hyundai, 4 Nissans, 1 Eagle, 1 Jeep, 1 Mitsubishi, 2 GMCs, 2 Chevrolets, 1 Merkur
Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM

ahh, so some excess rust prevention stuff (cosmoline). ok, thanks for the answers.
still seems kind of wrong to me. never had that happen on any of my Infiniti's.
oh well. good to know what it is. hopefully after this first incident, and cleaning, it won't come back.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto:
Yes! Noticed it today for the first time. Have 2k miles on our 2015 x1. Have no idea what it is
Old 08-22-2015, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4 2008 328xi
Had the same thing on 2015 35i M-sport. Cleaned off twice and has not repeated with 5k miles.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 PM

have any of you who have had this happen, had any paint problems from it. I cleaned it off of my car with a mild dish soap, med tooth brush and some terry cloths. As I said in my original post, it did take a lot of elbow grease and I did find I had to scrape a lot of it off with my fingernail as it was very dried out/baked on the finish. Ultimately it did come off though. I can see some mild discoloration from it (the "tear streak") on the facia below the headlights - but its very mild and will hopefully age out and disappear over time.

I'm kind of surprised no one here seems to think this is a flaw (however modest). I would not expect to do this to a new car, let alone a BMW, and never had to do it on my 3 prior vehicles (Infiniti's .. G35, G35 Coupe, G37S Coupe).

Anyway. It's off now, modest level of effort to clean it, and I am happy with the X1 driving experience.

Last edited by pfschim; 08-22-2015 at 01:01 PM.