Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 AM

Mein Auto: X1
X1 motor turning off for no obvious reason!

Hi, if anyone can shed some light on this it would be much appreciated.
I recently had my car serviced (2001 automatic, petrol x1), 35,000km, no repairs required and car running perfectly. Oil indicated on the low side but that's all. The day after collecting my car, I headed to work and the cars motor turned off without warning after only travelling 200metres, almost the equivalent of "stalling" if one was to use the old terminology .
After leaving the car for 15 mins, it drove fine without issue. It happened twice again when I went to drive the car a few hours later, leaving me stranded in an intersection.
It's since been towed to the dealer service dept and I'm waiting on their report.
Anyone else experienced this?if so, what was the issue?
Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 05-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Perhaps its a typo, but there isn't a 2001 X1.
Did you mean to say 2010 X1 or something?
The only stalling problems I've heard of similar to that were the battery issues that some early E9x cars had. But there was a recall for that.
I'm sure your dealer will read the codes to find out what's happening.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM

Hi stonex1, it's 2011 model - my typo. Waiting to hear update from service team. Hope it's something simple
Old 05-12-2014, 02:29 PM
BimmEric

Mein Auto: e84
Liz133, did you feel noticeable symptom before it stalled? Like engine shudder or shaking?

I experienced stalling on my 2007 e90 (six cylinder, gasoline, 49k mi at the time) there was a noticeable and intermittent engine shaking during idle before bogging down. On acceleration, the engine would sometimes hesitate, like choking. After being parked overnight, sometimes the engine would turnover but not start.

When I brought it for repairs, they were not able to determine the exact problem yet because the symptoms "magically" disappeared while in the shop and gave no diagnostic codes. Only after leaving the car to them for 2 days that they finally traced the problem. They replaced the fuel pump, charcoal canister, and fuel filter.

Hopefully, the shop can figure out what's wrong with yours soon.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
I had an '04 330i that did this twice. Both times it was a low speed stall in a parking lot. Both time sit set a ode for "multiple misfires". Dealer gave it a thorough check and could find nothing wrong.

Unfortunately, no work an be done if no obvious problem can be found. My 330 only did this twice, thankfully, as a stall can be a bit unnerving and downright dangerous. If my car had continued stalling, I would have insisted that they find the problem before I driving it again since a stall can put one in a deadly situation.

Given that it never stalled again, I figured that I got fuel with a few drops of H2O in it.

Hopefully, yours set a code for a bad coil or injector. Best of luck and please report back.

HaveBulldogWillTravel
English Bulldog Rescue
Recover
Rehab
Rehome
Rewarding
'13 X1 xDrive28i, Min. White, Sand, UP, LP, M-Sport, HK, Heated Seats, Satellite
Cross Bars
Invisihitch
Old 05-26-2014, 04:01 AM

2 weeks since taking my car back to BMW dealer and still waiting for part. Apparently it was the DME (?) which they have had to order from Germany, and thankfully it's still got a month of warranty left so I won't have to pay the $3,000 they quoted.
Incredibly coincidental that this problem arose 2 days after service, with the dealer saying that the DME was submerged in water which was causing the motor to switch off ( the DME is located in a section underneath the trunk). I'm at a loss as took this happened other than a suspicion that the "engine wash" at the service may have contributed to the issue.
In any case, it's being fixed and I have a loan car, so all is fine.