Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Instrument Cluster

I have a 2004 BMW x5 4.8is and the dash in front of the sterring wheel blinks on and off occasionally. This is only the area where the miles and temp. are shown. My dealer has diagnosed this as an instrument cluster since ive recently had my alternator replaced, and has priced the job at $1700. Does this sound right to you guys? and is this something I should fix IMMeDIATELY?
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2012, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
Can you provide a little more detail from what the dealer diagnosed? Where the issues you had previously and prior before the alternator was changed?
Once the alternator changed was the battery checked to ensure it also wasn't damaged?

Can you give a little more detail to the issue your experiencing. Is the lower digital display under your MPH & Tachometer the one flashing?

That price wouldn't be uncommon if they quoted you the price of the instrument cluster and labor to remove/install the component.

Have you tried going to a auto parts place and seeing if they can pull a code for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-10-20 at 9.44.39 AM.png
Views:	40
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	346564  

Last edited by Mudnyrey; 10-20-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:01 PM

I actually noticed the blinking of the digital display before the alternator was changed. The areas that blink or go completly out for awhile are only the mileage and temp indicators which are beneath the MPH. This is not a constant blinking on and off, this is random. I went to have the alternator replaced on a totally different issue and the dealer stated that it possiblly could be the alternator causing the blinking but, since the blinking continues, he suggest it to be the instrument cluster. In your exsperience is this an imergent issue, will it cause other problem? CAn this issue wait to be fixed?He didi estimate the repair as $1700.Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
Without looking at it, I would other wise be just as concerned and would want to look into it more, or take it in for a full and complete diagnosis. My concern is that there might be an intermittent short somewhere causing this issue or internal board related problem? Or it could be a simple problem like a loose connection. But would definitely want it taken care of before it causes other issues should it be an electric shorting issue.

I would again suggest stopping by your local auto parts store (Like Auto Zone or Similar) and seeing if they can pull any vehicle codes from your vehicle. If a code is pulled, it could steer you toward corrective action.

Did the dealer actually diagnose this issue as the "instrument cluster"?

If not, then I'd suggest having it fully diagnosed at the dealer if your unable to get the codes read. Sounds like the mechanic at the dealer gave you a few quick possibilities that have yet been completely and fully diagnosed.

Should you be able to get the codes read on your vehicle, I could look into it for you.
If not would suggest making an appt. to have it diagnosed at the dealer. I wouldn't be fully alarmed, but more concerned of having it looked into properly.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM

yes, the dealer diagnosed it as bad insrument cluster, stated ther were no other related codes. Question...would/could this bad instrument cluster cause problems with the reading of my gas gauge? The car stopped on me the other day and the problem was no gas but the car usually alerts me when im low by blinking "31 miles left" and the orange light goes off. This time I got zero warning and the gauge hand was at 1/4 tank. Im curious if the instrument cluster is the problem or if there may be something wrong with my level sensor which is inside the fuel pump.Any suggestions?