Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 G35xs
535xi or G37x

Hey Gang, just looking for some thoughtful feedback. I put about 20k miles/year on a car (80 miles a day + long trips). I love the look and the ride of the 535xi. But, I am having trouble spending $65k on a car that I will beat up on the highway every day and will be ready to trade four years from now. The kit on the G37x is very similar for nearly $20k less. What I think I am giving up by going G is some refinement, a quiet cabin, a little better driving dynamics, some interior room, and prestige. I think the G gets the edge in value and reliability. I love to drive and the G is quick and responsive, just a little rough around the edges. What is everyone's experience with the 5 and chipped windshields, bent wheels (which I've read about), electronics issues, and resale? Money is not a major issue here, but I need to feel like I'm getting value. I'll spend the money if I think the 5 won't have the issues listed above. Because, I'll be cursing if those gremlins pop up on a $65k car. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 10-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Why not an F30? It could be the perfect mix of those two cars advantages. Cheaper than the funfer with even better driving dynamics and more refined than the G.

Last edited by solstice; 10-19-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie Fringe View Post
What is everyone's experience with the 5 and chipped windshields, bent wheels (which I've read about), electronics issues, and resale? Money is not a major issue here, but I need to feel like I'm getting value. I'll spend the money if I think the 5 won't have the issues listed above. Because, I'll be cursing if those gremlins pop up on a $65k car. Thanks!
I have a 2012 535. No problems whatsoever, tires are fine, rims are perfect, no electrical bugs at all. With a modest tune it goes lick heck...
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Frankly - a G37 and a 5 series is not a fair comparison. They sit in two completely different segments and as such - the BMW seems over priced. The G series is better compared to the 3 series (F30), while the 5 Series compares with an M37.

Having said that - you can keep the G. I owned a 2010 coupe for a bit (I got lucky and someone stole it) and it does not even come close to a 5 series. It was a much rougher ride, the seats were terrible and the engine guzzled gas like it was a V8. Check out the 3 series, probably in the price range you want, and a huge improvement over the infiniti.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M-sport
I owned an I30 and an I35 years ago and just recently I drove my Dads G37. For some reason I just don't get the same sense of quality when I drive the Japanese brands. I felt the same way about an AcuraTL I owned about 6 years ago. The Lexus IS350 was probably my favorite Japanese auto experience. Regardless, none of these give you the sense of quality that the top German brands do. On paper they probably compare rather favorably, especially on the value side. However, the auto experience is a highly emotional one, and if you feel any sense of disappointment in quality it will create a negative emotion that you will have to live with so long as you own it. Go with the Bimmer!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:57 PM

I agree on the better gas mileage. Left that out of the comparo and the 5 scores well versus the G/M. From what I've read the M would have some of the problems I am concerned about (wheels, chips). Also, it looks like a bloated cheetah. I like the 3 too and it is getting strong consideration. At this stage, it is more about value than money. I'll spend more if the reliability is the somewhat similar. BTW, in my opinion the look of the 5 blows them all away.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:07 PM

Also, I agree that the G v 5 is not the right comparison, but that is what I am coming out of. Is the step up worth it? To me, for the mileage I put on a car, the G is disposable. Spend 42k, sell it in four years for 15k, and get another. If I get a 5, I don't want it to be disposable. I want to feel like it is worth it. (I also don't want it to get hurt.) But the fact that I am here and that I joined the Bimmerfest and you guys seem pretty nice and you love your cars means that I'll likely end up with the 5. I appreciate the sounding board.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRoots View Post
I owned an I30 and an I35 years ago and just recently I drove my Dads G37. For some reason I just don't get the same sense of quality when I drive the Japanese brands. I felt the same way about an AcuraTL I owned about 6 years ago. The Lexus IS350 was probably my favorite Japanese auto experience. Regardless, none of these give you the sense of quality that the top German brands do. On paper they probably compare rather favorably, especially on the value side. However, the auto experience is a highly emotional one, and if you feel any sense of disappointment in quality it will create a negative emotion that you will have to live with so long as you own it. Go with the Bimmer!
I also owned a TL (3rd Generation). That car did not age well as I had a few problems and the some annoying interior issues. I agree that the BMW have a greater sense and feel of quality.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M-sport
Quote:
But the fact that I am here and that I joined the Bimmerfest and you guys seem pretty nice and you love your cars means that I'll likely end up with the 5. I appreciate the sounding board.
I'm curious if the Infiniti forum generates the level of passion and enthusiasm that the BMW forums do.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
FF - you can also do a quick ED, for financial reasons only and save quite bit. (Will add to the value proposition)

As I mentioned above - I had the original G35 (circa 2003) and it was a great car. Unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it I then had a 2008 535 and it was such a great car. After that I tried going back to the G37 and it was a terrible experience. Not that its a bad car - its just the 5 is in a completely different league. Unfortunately so is the price...
Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Also, I agree that the G v 5 is not the right comparison, but that is what I am coming out of. Is the step up worth it? To me, for the mileage I put on a car, the G is disposable. Spend 42k, sell it in four years for 15k, and get another. If I get a 5, I don't want it to be disposable. I want to feel like it is worth it. (I also don't want it to get hurt.) But the fact that I am here and that I joined the Bimmerfest and you guys seem pretty nice and you love your cars means that I'll likely end up with the 5. I appreciate the sounding board.
I drive 20-22k miles per year and the depreciation can be a bitter pill to swallow, but... if you are spending that much time in your car why not spend it in a car you actually want to be in?

Here's a different way to look at it: If you factor in both time and mileage depreciation, your depreciation per mile will be less than someone with a low mileage car who keeps the car the same amount of time as you.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Hey Gang, just looking for some thoughtful feedback. I put about 20k miles/year on a car (80 miles a day + long trips). I love the look and the ride of the 535xi. But, I am having trouble spending $65k on a car that I will beat up on the highway every day and will be ready to trade four years from now. The kit on the G37x is very similar for nearly $20k less. What I think I am giving up by going G is some refinement, a quiet cabin, a little better driving dynamics, some interior room, and prestige. I think the G gets the edge in value and reliability. I love to drive and the G is quick and responsive, just a little rough around the edges. What is everyone's experience with the 5 and chipped windshields, bent wheels (which I've read about), electronics issues, and resale? Money is not a major issue here, but I need to feel like I'm getting value. I'll spend the money if I think the 5 won't have the issues listed above. Because, I'll be cursing if those gremlins pop up on a $65k car. Thanks!
Reliability on cars is sometimes the luck of the draw. Yes, most of us agree Japanese autos seem to have an edge over it's European counterpart in that department. However, I've heard folks who never had any issues with their BMW minus regular service maintenance while other folks have a nightmare experience with their Lexus. It's difficult to say. Though the F10 has many electrical components so chances of repair are greater. BMWs are a driver's car so a compromise needs to be made elsewhere. If money is not an issue, BMW is the way to go. We had an E60 and went over to a Merc W212 when it was bought back and didn't like it. Ended up back in a BMW.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 10-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I was in similar shoes with OP a while ago.
Had a G35, moved on to a G37, than felt the upgrade wasn't good and moved on to the 535i.(the G37 is nice but its more like a G35 with modern upgrades)
I can tell you it's worth it, wouldn't think of go back ever.
While both the G35 and G37 are nice cars. The 535i blow them out of water in everyway. It's just so refine, spacious, and comfortable, while at the same time feels more powerful and more sporty.
*(Although if given the choice I would probably go with a 550 instead. A couple grand more for 500hp tuned is no brainer)
Old 10-20-2012, 04:47 AM

I appreciate the former G owners weighing in on this. The "is it worth it?" question is hard to quantify, even though I tried to get specific. It sounds to me like it is and dunderhi's point about the amount of time spent in my car and why not get one you love is kind of where I am coming from. I've been thinking about this for a couple of months and I just needed a push over the edge, which is why I came here. I'll be back soon to talk MDX vs X5 since my wife will be needing a replacement soon...
Old 10-20-2012, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: Acura RL
Search for a 2012 CPO, save 20% plus. Better warranty and still free service. As far as gas mileage, I get over 30 on the highway at 75mph in my "new" 535xi.
My RL had a much higher level of refinement compared to the G or TL, which I considered as a replacement, but the F10 is on a whole different level for the better.

PS the G is going to be replaced in early 13 with a new model.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Freddie Fringe,

You said yourself that the car will be beat up on the highway every day, a beat up four year old 535xi with 80000 miles will be worth around $15000. The big question is, are you willing to lose $45000 in 4 years to drive the 535i? $45000 is more than the G37X is worth, also, there are some very deep discounts on the G37X right now as Infinite is getting ready for the redesign next year.You will probably lose half as much on the G37X in four years compare to the BMW. You said money is not an issue but you want value, there is no way you will get better value by buying a more expensive luxury car.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:38 AM

X, you are getting to the heart of my dilemma. I'd pay the price to get the refinement, room, driving dynamics, but that is a lot of dough to run up and down the NJ Turnpike and over the worst streets in America (Jersey City). My G has been ultra reliable with no bent wheels, no bubbles, no glitches. Looks good. But, the the 5 is singing a siren's song and makes me want to forget common sense. I'm still leaning 5. I like the 3 but it doesn't seem to fit a 43 year old semi-executive very well.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by kssod View Post
Search for a 2012 CPO, save 20% plus. Better warranty and still free service.
Totally agree with kssod! Why pay new price for a vehicle that you plan to run up in miles?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration

Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i xDrive
Quote:
. But, the the 5 is singing a siren's song and makes me want to forget common sense. I'm still leaning 5.
No room for emotions. Stick to your goal which is value and reliability. A used G is the clear winner. Besides, this is a car you plan to beat the hell up on the highway...think greater depreciation hit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App

Alpine White
Black Dakota Leather
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
M Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Value Package
Sport Package
Side and Top View Cameras
Smartphone Integration

Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
X, you are getting to the heart of my dilemma. I'd pay the price to get the refinement, room, driving dynamics, but that is a lot of dough to run up and down the NJ Turnpike and over the worst streets in America (Jersey City). My G has been ultra reliable with no bent wheels, no bubbles, no glitches. Looks good. But, the the 5 is singing a siren's song and makes me want to forget common sense. I'm still leaning 5. I like the 3 but it doesn't seem to fit a 43 year old semi-executive very well.
I passed on the 3 series as well, its a bit too entry level for me. I think even the G sedan, which use to be known for their cheap interior, has better material than the F30.
If you do decide on the 535i, make sure you buy the tire and wheel insurance, especially if you plan to get the 19" rims. I am assuming you already test drove all the competitions such as Audi A6, MB E350 and Lexus GS350.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:29 AM

Leaning towards a CPO 2012 535xi as was suggested to take out a bit of the sting. Will avoid the 19" wheels; I like the non-sport body style a bit better. A6 is a nice car, was in the running but a little sterile? E350 too staid - solid though. Have not tried the GS just yet, though it reads well. New look is kind of angry. Has anyone driven it? Would prefer the LS but that one is definitely out of the price range at this point.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
This is kind of like asking a heterosexual man if he'd rather sleep with Sofia Vergara or Ed O'Neill. The answer is obvious as to which one he'd rather have.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Leaning towards a CPO 2012 535xi as was suggested to take out a bit of the sting. Will avoid the 19" wheels; I like the non-sport body style a bit better. A6 is a nice car, was in the running but a little sterile? E350 too staid - solid though. Have not tried the GS just yet, though it reads well. New look is kind of angry. Has anyone driven it? Would prefer the LS but that one is definitely out of the price range at this point.
I have test driven the GS350, very nice car. The interior is on par with the 5 series. The handling in my opinion was better except at high speed, the 535 is more stable at high speed. The draw back to the GS is the design, I hated the front end and the profile and the rear is rather plain compare to the overly busy front end. As far as solidness, there are very few cars that can compete with the 5 series.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Freddie Fringe,

You said yourself that the car will be beat up on the highway every day, a beat up four year old 535xi with 80000 miles will be worth around $15000. The big question is, are you willing to lose $45000 in 4 years to drive the 535i? $45000 is more than the G37X is worth, also, there are some very deep discounts on the G37X right now as Infinite is getting ready for the redesign next year.You will probably lose half as much on the G37X in four years compare to the BMW. You said money is not an issue but you want value, there is no way you will get better value by buying a more expensive luxury car.
Now now, that is assuming you pay full MSRP for the car.
BMW gives huge discounts comparing to Infiniti. Getting a $10k discount off a brand new 5 series is not unheard of.
If you beat around a little OP I'm sure you can get them to discount it from $65k to somewhere around $56-57k.(remember to take advantage of every incentive you can)
Another thing you mention, the G37 is at the end of the design cycle. A new one is probably gonna come out next year. That will likely cause a big deprecation hit as well.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
Getting a $10k discount off a brand new 5 series is not unheard of.
In my experience it is. I was seeing $4K discounts on 2013 535xi's in MA.

The only discounts approaching $10K were on leftover 2012's that were heavily optioned.