Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Question Weird noises from engine

I had the valve cover gasket replaced and i power washed the whole engine with some degreaser to clean the leaked oil. after all this my engine makes this weird noise and a friend said it was the pcv valve but it can also be the belt tensioner. also after you shut off the engine it makes this suction it never made before. Any ideas as to what it is? thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2012, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
also forgot to add that if you take off the oil cap, the noise goes away a little bit and if you put your hand over the hole it has a slight suction.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
That's your crankcase vent valve CCV/oil separator. I think it's normal to sound like this - all it is doing is releasing the vacuum after the engine shuts off. Mine has sounded like that for years. When it starts to sound like a foghorn or dying sheep, then it's gunked to the point of needing to be replaced, usually between 60k and 100k miles on the clock.

Light suction on the filler cap is normal. When it gets really strong that's an indication of clogging CCV. There should be many threads on it. Check e46 wiki first.