Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i E39
another window regulator question

so my window has fell off the clips as happend to BLUEBEE, after reading through her situation i thought it'd be a simple fix, but no, not only is it off the clips, the cable has come off the pulleys on my regulator, the motor works, and nothing else seems to be broke or damaged but i cant for the life of me get the cable to go on all 4 pulleys its driving me crazy not to mention the several cuts my hands have endured SMH....

has any one else had this tough of a time getting just the cable back on? i can hook it on to 3, yet i cant get the "slack" to make it around the last pulley...

Last edited by RichDeezy; 10-20-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling....
Ads by Google
Old 10-20-2012, 02:32 AM
wat's dat noise

Mein Auto: '04 525i
see the 2 springs near the regulator motor....compress that after looping the cables over all 4 pulleys.....that's the slack that you need.
this is from my lh front window.yes some manly strength is required...

Last edited by moots; 10-20-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moots View Post
see the 2 springs near the regulator motor....compress that after looping the cables over all 4 pulleys.....that's the slack that you need.
this is from my lh front window.yes some manly strength is required...

will have to get back in there tomorrow and give that a go.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:36 PM
I gotta have more cowbell

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Can you remove a pulley while install?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztom View Post
Can you remove a pulley while install?
i dont think they are removable, at least on mine it seemed the pulley was attatched to the regulator bar
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDeezy View Post
i cant for the life of me get the cable to go on all 4 pulleys its driving me crazy
MatWiz pointed me directly to the answer to that question!
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > How do we loosen tension on a BMW E39 front window regulator anyway?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDeezy View Post
i dont think they are removable, at least on mine it seemed the pulley was attatched to the regulator bar
I noticed, just now, doing research for this thread, that you seem to have removed one of the pulleys.

Can you tell us how you did it and whether you think the pulley can be put back on once removed (if a supplier could possibly be found for the pulley)?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pulley_closeup.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	348229   Click image for larger version

Name:	pulley.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	348230  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM
wat's dat noise

Mein Auto: '04 525i
hi blue.....the pulley i removed was the top rear (LH front window).the original plastic pink pulley broke.i got the white pullley(nylon) manufactured from a local engineering shop.to remove the original pulley,it has to be drilled out carefully,as the pulley post is swaged to the frame.putting it back was a pain but i was lucky to have a tiny bit of the "swage" left to be able to "put back" the pulley post to the frame.otherwise i would have a hell of a task to maneouver the pulley back in place while holding the pulley in it's post when re-installing the whole assy back to the door as the space is very constrained........

my advice is to get a used assy.much simpler.i did this coz i have time and coz i love wrenching.....

Last edited by moots; 11-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I got the white pullley(nylon) manufactured from a local engineering shop
Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

Searching, I found they sell the take-up spool pulleys for $1.25 each in batches of ten, as explained in this thread.
- How to loosen and tighten regulator cable tension (1)

But, I haven't found the 'rollers" yet.

Quote:
drilled out carefully... a tiny bit of the "swage" left to be able to "put back"
Wow. I'm amazed! You basically 'broke' the 'rivet' and then pounded what was left back in place. I wonder if the bolt alone will work, without the rivet? Or, if another similar rivet can be used.

I do realize this is a BIG thick rivet, so it might be problematic to find a replacement.

Had I known about your success earlier, I would have tried it to fix this chip by replacing the roller (if I can find the roller):

Quote:
a used assy is much simpler.
I understand.

However, I do like the idea of 'fixing' the thing ... or ... at least knowing HOW to fix it ... which is halfway there.

Assuming we destroy the rivet most of the time in removing the pulley, do you think a hardware store would have something similar to replace the rivet so that the replacement roller stays on the guide?

EDIT: I found this BMW front window regulator corner roller (with pin) - but it's for the E46:

Last edited by bluebee; 11-03-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM

For the record, this thread on how to replace the roller was added to the bestlinks today:
- How to replace just the window regulator rollers (1) (2)