Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 AM

Mein Auto: 318ti 2004
Question Serpentine Belt shredded, Twice.

Hi everyone... I bought a BMW 318ti 2004 model and its been the best car i've ever own. However, last week it decided to shred the serpentine drive belt that runs the power steering, waterpump, alternator and aircon.

I thought nothing of it as i bought the car with quite high milage so i just got a new one from BMW dealer and slapped it on and it ran perfectly for two days until it shredded that new belt as well. Im convinced one of my pulleys is seized or running off centre but i've checked them and they seem fine and i'm happy to take it in to get fixed, i just want to know that my mechanic isn't going to tell me its something that is not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
So... we're talking about this belt?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 AM

Thats the belt in question. My pulley layout is slightly different but thats the belt.

It looks like something has pushed it threw a paper shredder, its in small pieces.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 AM

Explain?

I've sent it to the BMW mechanics and have asked them to replace all the pulleys and put a new belt on it but that was a seriously expensive option that i would have liked to avoid...

Anyway we'll see if it solves the problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:12 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
If something was seized, you'd hear it instantly. More likely, the belt tensioner isn't holding it tight and it gets eaten when it comes loose.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 AM

Ok so you think replacing the tensioner and pulleys will do the trick? Im just worried its an underlying issue. I guess this is the joys of motor car ownership. :O
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Did everything work well just before that belt was shredded?
Steering? Electrics? Engine not heating up?

Just wondering if alternator or water pump or power steering pump is stressing that belt more than supposed to.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
I had a serpentine belt shred and wrap around WP pulley making it look like a weed whacker....it was the WP bearing failed allowing all to wobble. Replaced WP, fluids etc and all is good.

The mechs you took it too should be able to determine whether it is a pulley, tensioner or the WP or Alternator bearing causing the issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:02 AM

@Igr122... Everything was absolutely fine it was very unexpected...

@QAfred... My Mechs just told me the alternator bearing has failed and thus causing friction on the belt. A new alternator is fairly expensive and my mechanic told me that a simple test would have saved me all the issue, He said "every 10000 kilometres i should remove the belt and spin all the pulleys and measure the side to side movement using a vernier calliper". oh well, lesson learnt the hard way but learnt none the less.

Moral of the story, don't assume you know enough to self diagnose an issue in a german made car. :P
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurbanBMW View Post

@QAfred... My Mechs just told me the alternator bearing has failed and thus causing friction on the belt. A new alternator is fairly expensive and my mechanic told me that a simple test would have saved me all the issue, He said "every 10000 kilometres i should remove the belt and spin all the pulleys and measure the side to side movement using a vernier calliper". oh well, lesson learnt the hard way but learnt none the less.

Moral of the story, don't assume you know enough to self diagnose an issue in a german made car. :P
Don't worry, it's difficult to always know and notice EVERYTHING yourself, but this forum can give some good ideas about what to check.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM
The Arch Bishop

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, 1986 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurbanBMW View Post

Most of the learning comes from failing sometimes. Ive done plenty of dumb stuff and paid the price. I definitely know what to do now thanks to the experience and the wealth of knowledge on this site.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Don't worry, it's difficult to always know and notice EVERYTHING yourself, but this forum can give some good ideas about what to check.
Yeah definitely, Well i've got my car back and i drove it to work this morning and all seams good... I got a new alternator, apparently they do tend to die at about the age of 8 years so mine did well.

This forum is an absolute god send and i am glad i found it and joined. Everyone here ROCKS!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Pulley replacement is not that expensive if you DIY. And lots can be learned re that from this board.