Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325is
How much to pay for a 1989 325is?

Hi, I am looking at buying a 1989 325is auto with 250k on the odometer. She is listing it for $1200. Is that a fair price? I saw the car, it has a few things that needs to be done to it. Paint with clear coat peeling, tears on the seats, cracked headlights passenger side and dents on the driver side door.
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM
dream chasin'

Send a message via AIM to anstead610
Mein Auto: 24v e30 -88 toyota pickup
Pics will help.

This e30 is now being parted out. NO body panels are for sale, bumpers/fenders/hood/mirrors/valance or front turn signals. Everything else is up for grabs. Euro grills/cluster are sold, suspension/brakes/LSD/rear tails are already spoken for.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:22 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
you could probably talk them down some due to the higher mileage and since it hasnt hit the 25 year mark yet. but yes, pictures help
Old 10-21-2012, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: Auto
The most important thing is what the previous owner have done to maintain that car. Any service history, specifically Water Pump/Thermostat? If not, you'll have to do that and it's roughly a $500 dollar job at an indie shop. Given that there are pretty much issues with all of the exterior/interior, you'll need to bank on the reliability of the current engine.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: '87 BMW 325
I'd say with the miles, the auto tranny it's worth less. But if maintenance is steller then I'd say it's worth it. Again it comes down to how relentless the owner was on keeping it nice/maintenance especially with the automatic transmission.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:31 AM
I <3 my E34

Send a message via Skype™ to BmwMan92
Mein Auto: 1985 318i// 1988 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebmw View Post
I'd say with the miles, the auto tranny it's worth less. But if maintenance is steller then I'd say it's worth it. Again it comes down to how relentless the owner was on keeping it nice/maintenance especially with the automatic transmission.

Not exactly 5 speed swap was pretty easy and fairly cheap. Base model interior is cheap also. If you want to put a little money in it you will have a great car. Make sure the engine and Trans work good and it has no rust, and if you want it get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8bimmer View Post
I just dont see any other logical way around this problem.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 AM
On Top

Send a message via AIM to SWISS Send a message via Yahoo to SWISS
Mein Auto: E30 S52 / S52 M roady
The way E30 prices have jumped in the past 3 months. You better jump all over it if it is in any kind of decent shape.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
1 John 1:9

Mein Auto: E30, Rabbit GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
The way E30 prices have jumped in the past 3 months. You better jump all over it if it is in any kind of decent shape.
Agreed

Even at 1200 its not a bad price as long as it runs descent. Body is the most expensive thing. Dents and rust. If you are planing on keeping it restoring it to former glory make sure its worth it body wise.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
you guys must be shopping in some completely different country than me. there has been no "jump" in e30's prices ... at all.

that's coming from a heavy buyer and seller of e30's who watches the market daily.

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcsteve View Post
you guys must be shopping in some completely different country than me. there has been no "jump" in e30's prices ... at all.

that's coming from a heavy buyer and seller of e30's who watches the market daily.
I guess we just are not as savvy shoppers as you are. I'm not saying 1,200 dollars for a beat E30 is a great price. Mint E30's can sell for some good money to the right buyer.

Last edited by Tkaczuk; 10-22-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM
610EUROs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkaczuk View Post
I guess we just are as savvy shoppers as you are. I'm not saying 1,200 dollars for a beat E30 is a great price. Mint E30's can sell for some good money to the right buyer.
even mint e30's are hard as hell to sell currently. people would rather pay $1500 for a busted e30 that needs thousands of dollars in repairs over a $3.5k e30 that needs nothing. the "right buyer", that's just a fancy way of saying " you're going to have the car for a very long time before anyone shows even a little interest in buying your car". i've seen a big hike in "listed" e30 prices locally, and i've seen an even bigger hike of them not selling till months later when the prices are dropped down over $1000 from the original price. people with busted e30's seem to think they are worth boat loads of cash while the people with clean ones seem to just be pricing them to sell. there has been no hike in ACTUAL selling prices.

you don't need to be a savvy shopper to find them. just have minimal knowledge of how to search on craigslist.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM

Generally you have to look passed craigslist to sell a E30, forums are a better choice. Buying is a whole different story. Your right in the price hikes and what not. a coupe people did it and now everyone things it worth that much. I have seen a nice drop in 24v swapped E30's. I even saw another 2grand plastic bumpered m52 sedan that worked perfect needed new exhaust and had rust on the rockers. So there are still lots of good deals out there. Not that I would have bought that. Have some classified on facebook that have proven very helpful.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:

theres been a jump here and i too look at BMWs at least 3 times a week. and they are more than likely selling at that price too because a good 80% of them are only listed once. meanwhile E36s are way down, they are often cheaper than E30s these days. theres a 328i on for $2300 right now which looks to be in 6-7/10 condition. a busted 325i E30 auto is nearer the 3k mark. this is NZ dollars of course so times those prices by .7-.8 or so. E46 have dropped a lot too, im thinking about getting one next year

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 10-23-2012, 04:04 AM
On Top

Well I can support my opinion with others likewise in agreement, on an E30 FORUM!

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...highlight=wang

But no one can be right, unless it's Steve and his factory tow hitch and minty crack free dash on the build sheet.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 AM
610EUROs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post
theres been a jump here and i too look at BMWs at least 3 times a week. and they are more than likely selling at that price too because a good 80% of them are only listed once. meanwhile E36s are way down, they are often cheaper than E30s these days. theres a 328i on for $2300 right now which looks to be in 6-7/10 condition. a busted 325i E30 auto is nearer the 3k mark. this is NZ dollars of course so times those prices by .7-.8 or so. E46 have dropped a lot too, im thinking about getting one next year
i check the market daily. i already said there has been a hike in listed prices, but they don't sell. around me e36's and e46's have stayed about the same as well, they never really held value around me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
Well I can support my opinion with others likewise in agreement, on an E30 FORUM!

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...highlight=wang

But no one can be right, unless it's Steve and his factory tow hitch and minty crack free dash on the build sheet.
forum full of retards doesn't prove anything. from the looks of it, most of them are saying how high the listed prices are, not the selling prices.

if you pulled your big head out of your ass for a minute .. maybe you'd be able to read what i said about the white car .. but a douche is always gonna be a douche.

i've sold 3 e30's in the last 4 months, nobody can tell me what the market is doing because ive been in it. unlike you on-lookers reading info from the internet and feedign it to others like its the truth.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 PM
On Top

Quote:
i check the market daily. i already said there has been a hike in listed prices, but they don't sell. around me e36's and e46's have stayed about the same as well, they never really held value around me.

forum full of retards doesn't prove anything. from the looks of it, most of them are saying how high the listed prices are, not the selling prices.

if you pulled your big head out of your ass for a minute .. maybe you'd be able to read what i said about the white car .. but a douche is always gonna be a douche.

i've sold 3 e30's in the last 4 months, nobody can tell me what the market is doing because ive been in it. unlike you on-lookers reading info from the internet and feedign it to others like its the truth.
I sold one for $4K 6 weeks ago, your market either just sucks or your sales tactics do brah.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 PM
610EUROs

i had that white car zach just purchased from me on CL and parked 2 places in town for a month and a half. i live on a main street, over 100 cars pass every hour. so it was well seen and i relisted it on CL every time the option was available. the car was listed with a clean carfax report, original build sheet from under the rear seat and the build/options list from BMW. as well as detailed pictures of everything. nobody wanted to pay $4k for an e30, regardless of condition. the 3 i actually sold went for $2600-2800 and even then the buyers werent very willing to pay that, i just wasnt budging from my price.

i can post links for days of e30's in my area listed for $3k and up. all of them have major paint issues, don't run, destroyed interiors, tons of dents and rust or some combination of the above. they just don't ever sell till the seller realizes they are being an idiot and lower the price a big amount.

most people stop by my house to ask me what cars are available since i'm the "BMW guy" in town. even with my reputation people will still not pay anywhere near what most forum members claim to get for poor condition e30's.

it's not a problem with my tactics, there is just no desire for well kept, good condition e30's in my market region. considering i live in a highly populated area with mostly rich kids who love e30's. if the demand was really there, the cars would sell, but they don't.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: '87 BMW 325
Quote:
i had that white car zach just purchased from me on CL and parked 2 places in town for a month and a half. i live on a main street, over 100 cars pass every hour. so it was well seen and i relisted it on CL every time the option was available. the car was listed with a clean carfax report, original build sheet from under the rear seat and the build/options list from BMW. as well as detailed pictures of everything. nobody wanted to pay $4k for an e30, regardless of condition. the 3 i actually sold went for $2600-2800 and even then the buyers werent very willing to pay that, i just wasnt budging from my price.

i can post links for days of e30's in my area listed for $3k and up. all of them have major paint issues, don't run, destroyed interiors, tons of dents and rust or some combination of the above. they just don't ever sell till the seller realizes they are being an idiot and lower the price a big amount.

most people stop by my house to ask me what cars are available since i'm the "BMW guy" in town. even with my reputation people will still not pay anywhere near what most forum members claim to get for poor condition e30's.

it's not a problem with my tactics, there is just no desire for well kept, good condition e30's in my market region. considering i live in a highly populated area with mostly rich kids who love e30's. if the demand was really there, the cars would sell, but they don't.
+1

A guy here had a 1990 325is for sale for 2.5k for over three months. It was in perfect condition with less then 125k miles. We don't even have a lot of e30's in my market and it couldn't sell.