Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I'll make a prediction--Blackberry has thrown every resource they had into these new phones, with the unspoken purpose of having someone come along and buy them. They will sell poorly but they hope someone comes along and hands them a pile of cash.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
I'll make a prediction--Blackberry has thrown every resource they had into these new phones, with the unspoken purpose of having someone come along and buy them. They will sell poorly but they hope someone comes along and hands them a pile of cash.
I can see them being bought out by Microsoft or Google
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I can see them being bought out by Microsoft or Google
But you can't see Apple buy them out?? So what is your logic??

I don't see Google buying RIMM... That is a hardware biz that Google doesn't appear to be interested at all.. as they are unloading Motorola as we speak...

I don't see the BIG 3 buying RIMM. If anything it may be a Nokia/SonyEricsson type of weak hand buying RIMM. Lastly.. maybe the Chinese Huawei type is morlikelu.

Last edited by beewang; 01-30-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
But you can't see Apple buy them out?? So what is your logic??

I don't see Google buying RIMM... That is a hardware biz that Google doesn't appear to be interested at all.. as they are unloading Motorola as we speak...

I don't see the BIG 3 buying RIMM. If anything it may be a Nokia/SonyEricsson type of weak hand buying RIMM. Lastly.. maybe the Chinese Huawei type is morlikelu.
I was gonna add Apple to the list also. I was typing that on my phone and kept it short

There is no reason to expect that Apple, Samsung, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, etc won't scoop up RIM for pennies when they do belly up in a few years.

But in reality, they don't even need to. iOS/Android is superior to BB10 and BB10 is merely playing catchup, and even then, nothing stands out.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
The compelling thing about BB is their proprietary network and encryption. The hardware, other than their keyboards, is meh. BB10 isn't that compelling. I agree this was a move by mgt. to try to position the company for sale by hoping to push the stock price up a bit, but this is definitely not a move to retake ground they lost. That won't happen at all. The reviews are pretty lame so far.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Living a dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Reviews coming don't look too good for the new OS 10 Smartphone from RIMM. Might be a good time to short now.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/30/blackberry-z10-review-306613/
I'll hang in for a little while, but they are getting their butt kicked today, off nearly 12%
Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Living a dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
That explains scene options and other options but does not explain image quality which is what I believe he was referring to. Hopefully it won't come with a poor image sensor and lense. Software part is not all that difficult after.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App
Looks like the camera is a fail. It does no good to roll back to previous images if they all suck.

In this comparison, I give the nod to the Nokia

Old 01-30-2013, 01:46 PM

This is worst part about the OS

Quote:
"By practically bribing developers to make apps for BlackBerry and by having such a low standard of quality for the store in general, BlackBerry World not only has the least amount of apps of any mobile platform, but it has the worst quality. I've literally found apps that have been made for the BlackBerry PlayBook, a 7-inch tablet, and are unmodified on the BlackBerry Z10 so the buttons you have to tap are comically small"

"RIM is touting the fact that BlackBerry World has more than 70,000 apps, a great starting number. However, diving deeper, the company let me know that only around 1,000 of them are native BlackBerry 10 apps. The rest are ported from Android, or made in another programming language, or worse, even web apps."
http://bgr.com/2013/01/30/blackberry...tm_medium=home

ouch
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Engadget tore it apart in their editorial

some quotes

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/e...blackberry-10/

Quote:

You can read my review of the Z10 and of the BlackBerry 10 OS if you want my full take on things, but in a nutshell it boils down to this being what would have been an amazing product last year. Thorsten obviously didn't have a choice but to delay the launch and that's unfortunate, because RIM's -- sorry -- BlackBerry's product now looks less compelling than it would have in early 2012. As of now, nothing really jumps out at you and screams "This is so amazing I need to drop my iPhone right now and get one of these."

The problem, for me at least, was that while Heins and co. were celebrating the operating system's many innovations, things like built-in video calling are old news. As such, BB 10 is an attempt to drag the company kicking and screaming into being on level terms with iOS and Android -- not to better them.

I won't give my native land's company a free pass, however, and the initial results are mixed. There's some definite cleverness to BlackBerry 10 that could make it the go-to choice, especially for those who live and die by their messaging. Yet it's hard to get completely excited when the Z10 amounts to a strictly mid-range smartphone, and there are still gaping holes in the app ecosystem. Mapping, to me, could be the software's Achilles' heel: when Apple got flak for the subpar accuracy and missing features of iOS 6's Maps tool, releasing a BlackBerry app with even fewer features won't get customers to hop aboard if they at all value navigation.

Of course, there are still hurdles -- terrible maps, poor app selection and a rather disappointing camera -- but I still have to stand back and applaud what the BlackBerry team has done here and hope this means better things to come. Now, whether it'll match up to the Androids and iPhones of the world or fall into obscurity much like Palm did, well, we'll just have to wait and see.
and it goes on lol
Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Engadget tore it apart in their editorial

some quotes

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/e...blackberry-10/

and it goes on lol
Nothing BB did will bring customers back to them. There isn't anything about the new phones or OS that would make you drop your iphone or Android phone. The BB doesn't even have the ability to take panoramic photos. Even Apple now offers that option and they were late to the game.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Living a dream!

BlackBerry Z10 Camera: The Worst Low-Light Performance We’ve Seen in a Long Time

Quote:
For the old BlackBerry, a handset's camera was an ancillary feature. But the new hip BlackBerry is supposed to be tuned into how regular people—not just suits—use their phones. The BlackBerry Z10's camera has a chance to prove it's better than the rest. And if our initial low-light camera test is any indication, the camera is a complete failure.

When you're in a dark bar or out on the town at night making memories with your co-workers/friends/family you want your smartphone camera to take a nice photo without having to use flash. This is what low-light performance is all about. As we saw the last time we put a series of flagship phones together, handset shooters have come a long way.

To see if the BlackBerry Z10 could keep up with the pack, we tested its low-light performance against the Apple iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia 920, and Samsung Galaxy S III. We put it to a pretty tough test, burying the above novelty statue in the deepest darkest corner of the office. We didn't use any flash, but if a camera came with built-in night or low-light setting we tried it out to see if it worked better than the automatic setting.

The Z10 didn't even hold the dimmest, most-pathetic light to the other cameras in our test. Look at that photo above on the left. It is an abject and miserable failure. Because this is a particularly difficult shooting setting, all of the photos have problems with noise, distortion, and detail, but we've haven't seen something so crummy as the Z10 in a long time. The Z10 even has a "night" setting that was completely useless. This is some four-years-ago crap.

We've still got some more testing to do with the cameras before we crown a winner—and before we write the Z10 off completely—but this initial test doesn't bode well.
Again... Lumia Camera rocks

Last edited by GeneArch; 01-30-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Living a dream!

Wow, RIM.. ahem "Blackberry" are living back in the Palm Treo days

From the BGR Review...

Quote:
Other bits about BlackBerry 10 that bother me: there is no over-the-air device switching, back up or restore. Moving from a previous BlackBerry smartphone requires using the software to sync on a computer, and even moving from one BlackBerry 10 smartphone to another still doesn't copy your information wirelessly.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 PM

^ Nokia did a fantastic job on the 920's camera. They have always done well with camera tech.

and is your second post serious? It requires a sync up to the computer?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Living a dream!

Cnet:

Quote:
slip off the rim-colored glasses, though, and you won't be able to ignore the minor hardware and os irritations that nevertheless pile up as you use the z10 over time -- like having to use an antiquated and unintuitive file system to create a new photo album, and a basic mapping app that can't possibly stand up to google's best-in-show. For their part, blackberry detractors will plainly see a poor iphone clone that offers little more than the usual features found in any present-day os worth its salt.
Quote:
Of the two phones, the iPhone undeniably has the more solid, premium, and precise build quality. Its seams are as narrow as possible, and its details are finely machined. For those who care about such things, the iPhone 5's material quality trumps the Z10's treated plastics and loose back panel that too easily pops out when I slide a nail anywhere along its perimeter.
On the Camera

Quote:
Although there's autofocus, focusing elsewhere isn't intuitive. Touching the screen anywhere triggers the shutter, so you'll just have to know to drag the focal bracket around the screen. Budding photographers will also notice scant options and controls. There's no HDR, no ISO settings, no grid, no geotagging, no option to drop resolution, and -- one of its worst offenses in my opinion -- no way to silence the shutter's loud clacking.

Last edited by GeneArch; 01-30-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Living a dream!

The Verge Sums it up pretty well:

The Z10 is a good smartphone. Frankly, it's a better smartphone than I expected from RIM at this stage in the game. It does everything a modern phone should do, usually without hesitation. It doesn't do everything perfectly, but it does many things — most things — reasonably well.

The problem with the Z10 is that it doesn't necessarily do anything better than any of its competition. Sure, there are arguments that could be made about how it handles messages or the particulars of its camera, but no one could argue that there's a "killer app" here. Something that makes you want or need this phone because it can do what no other phone can do. That's not the case — in fact if anything is the case, it's that the Z10 can't yet do some things that other devices can. Or at least, can't do them quite as well.

And that's where I end up. The Z10 is a fine device, well made, reasonably priced, backed by a company with a long track record. But it's not the only device of its kind, and it's swimming against a massive wave of entrenched players with really, really good products. Products they figured out how to make years ago. Products that are mature. The smartphone industry doesn't need saving.

If you love RIM and the BlackBerry brand and really want to keep supporting them, buying a Z10 wouldn't be a mistake. But I think there are better phones on the market, and I don't yet see a compelling reason for most customers to choose this phone over those better ones. So why the Z10? Why now? Until BlackBerry can answer that question, I would be careful about how you spend your money.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Looks like BB is merely playing catch up now. Nothing special to seperate them from the rest. Lackluster specs and same price as iPhone? They need to undercut the competition to save their ass

Im sticking to my Note 2
The Note 2 is a great smartphone. I have one too
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Living a dream!

Seems intuitive

Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Seems intuitive

You won't be hearing from MCSL for a while now
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Worldwide, BlackBerry has several key markets that are revealing pricing and availability today, including the UK, Canada and UAE.

In the UK, BlackBerry Z10 smartphones will be available fully subsidized on competitive monthly pay contracts. Price points will vary according to carriers and retail partners. The BlackBerry Z10 will be available beginning Jan 31 on pay monthly contracts and pre-pay plans from:
• EE
• O2
• Vodafone
• Phones 4u
• BT
• 3UK
• Carphone Warehouse

In Canada, the BlackBerry Z10 will be available on February 5th. Pricing will vary by carrier partner, but it will retail for around $149.99 on a 3-year contract.

In the UAE, the BlackBerry Z10 will be available on February 10th. Pricing will vary by carrier partner, but unsubsidized it will retail for AED 2,599.

In the U.S. market, we expect availability with most carriers for the BlackBerry Z10 to be in March. Today, U.S. carriers will start announcing pre-registration and price plans ($199 with contract).

Many of BlackBerry’s global partners have already launched or will be launching pre-registration and pre-order sites today.

BlackBerry expects the first global carriers to launch the BlackBerry Q10 in April. They will announce new pricing and availability information as carriers roll-out around the world.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2013/01/...erry-10-price/

Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Living a dream!

Mr. CTRL-C-CTRL-V is back, bring us the latest in Blackberry news
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
He has to either work for Blackberry or be holding a shi* load of Blackberry shares

Looks like the new Q10 is only 3G with no 4G or LTE

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_q10-5274.php
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
When you're trolling Bimmerfest for new customers, you know it's game over.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
You have to admire his loyalty. He's determined to go down with the ship.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Seems intuitive

This "survey" is so dumb, it reminds me of the infomercials for a product like a non stick frying pan and they compare it to a regular Teflon pan where the woman tries to fry an egg on the competitor's pan, and she drops the egg on the gas stove because the skillet is 8" instead of the new 10" pan.

I'm not a Blackberry fan, but still, c'mon, this test above is stupid.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
You have to admire his loyalty. He's determined to go down with the ship.

I know you think that I shouldn't still love you,
Or tell you that.
But if I didn't say it, well I'd still have felt it
where's the sense in that?

I promise I'm not trying to make your life harder
Or return to where we were

I will go down with this ship
And I won't put my hands up and surrender
There will be no white flag above my door
I'm in love and always will be

I know I left too much mess and
destruction to come back again