Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
When you go from selling 1 phone to 10, that's an increase of 1000%. All RIM sales figures are skewed, like that. They're still selling small amounts, compared to everyone else. Apple sold millions of iPhones in one launch weekend. BB will probably sell that many in a couple years.
How are they skewed? Has BlackBerry announced any numbers for the Z10? Also they have stated this is the best BlackBerry launch by 50%(in Canada). So basically, they are comparing this to the best device for a SINGLE device launch. BlackBerry doesn't just announce all their phones at one time, but according to your comments it seems they do!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00TS View Post

How are they skewed? Has BlackBerry announced any numbers for the Z10? Also they have stated this is the best BlackBerry launch by 50%(in Canada). So basically, they are comparing this to the best device for a SINGLE device launch. BlackBerry doesn't just announce all their phones at one time, but according to your comments it seems they do!
They're skewed because a 1000% increase in sales in still considered pennies next to the competition.

did you join this forum just for this thread?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
When you go from selling 1 phone to 10, that's an increase of 1000%. All RIM sales figures are skewed, like that. They're still selling small amounts, compared to everyone else. Apple sold millions of iPhones in one launch weekend. BB will probably sell that many in a couple years.
Lol...
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
It is very possible, I mean I am a BlackBerry fan, but stuff like "50% of preorders were from owners of iOS/Android devices" and "best blackberry sales ever"(in Canada) it is very possible. BlackBerry is going to get a lot of sales from enterprises. I guess one can only hope(or in the case of a lot of people on here it seems: to fail so hard) that it does(doesn't) reach those numbers. I do think, however, that delaying the release to the USA sucks, but then again, it is due to the carriers and not BlackBerry for the delay.
If we would get some sort of number on how many were shipped out and then sold then we could see some sort of hope but as for now being told that they were sold out with no number really means nothing. Seems like false hype in reality. I really am curious as to what the numbers are. Without Google Maps with Street View and applications like Whatsapp and Line running I see them keeping half of their their old customer and maybe getting a few new ones at most.

Check out the poll over at Arabianbusiness of how many would buy one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1360779614.748823.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	362073  
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
They're skewed because a 1000% increase in sales in still considered pennies next to the competition.

did you join this forum just for this thread?
No, I joined before I discovered this thread. I own a 2013 528i w/xdrive.

They aren't trying for first place, they know they aren't going to get there with this device. They probably won't have a chance for this year and probably next. But hopefully they will have steady growth to give them a chance in the future. We can argue back and forth about it, but its not really going to do anything. I mean obviously there is clearly a difference between US websites and the rest of the world. The rest of the world (in my opinion) says the device is pretty good, some problems here and there, while the US is pretty much: its not an iPhone why should we care? Also I've noticed some people trust reviews from wall street analysts, it is very doubtful they even got the phone. But even David Pogue(yes the reviewer that got **** on because of the crap he gave the storm) gives the z10 a decent review on it. Clicky
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
No, I joined before I discovered this thread. I own a 2013 528i w/xdrive.

They aren't trying for first place, they know they aren't going to get there with this device. They probably won't have a chance for this year and probably next. But hopefully they will have steady growth to give them a chance in the future. We can argue back and forth about it, but its not really going to do anything. I mean obviously there is clearly a difference between US websites and the rest of the world. The rest of the world (in my opinion) says the device is pretty good, some problems here and there, while the US is pretty much: its not an iPhone why should we care? Also I've noticed some people trust reviews from wall street analysts, it is very doubtful they even got the phone. But even David Pogue(yes the reviewer that got **** on because of the crap he gave the storm) gives the z10 a decent review on it. Clicky
Most every popular tech site on the internet gave the Z10 a huge "meh"

engaget, gizmodo, bgr, cnet, the verge. I could keep going on for ages.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
The rest of the world (in my opinion) says the device is pretty good, some problems here and there, while the US is pretty much: its not an iPhone why should we care? Also I've noticed some people trust reviews from wall street analysts, it is very doubtful they even got the phone.
You are very clueless. Android still dominates in the US.

Fact of the matter is that iOS and Android are superior. You can try to skirt around the issue all you want, but the Z10 is a lackluster device, being released by a company with a questionable future.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
You are very clueless. Android still dominates in the US.

Fact of the matter is that iOS and Android are superior. You can try to skirt around the issue all you want, but the Z10 is a lackluster device, being released by a company with a questionable future.
Did I ever mention that it was going to be #1? Hardly. But apparently I did. LOL
No **** they have a questionable future, why do you think they built a new OS?
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Most every popular tech site on the internet gave the Z10 a huge "meh"

engaget, gizmodo, bgr, cnet, the verge. I could keep going on for ages.
Engadget: USA
Gizmodo: USA
BGR: Cried because BlackBerry didn't let them into their event/get device for review (can't remember which) USA???
Cnet: USA
Verge: USA
Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Engadget: USA
Gizmodo: USA
BGR: Cried because BlackBerry didn't let them into their event/get device for review (can't remember which) USA???
Cnet: USA
Verge: USA
And the problem with that is?

It doesn't matter where the reviews come from. The Galaxy S3/iPhone 5, Note 2,etc have gotten universal praise. BB? Basically only Canada. And I can call bias (same as what you're trying to do) because RIM is canadian.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
And the problem with that is?

It doesn't matter where the reviews come from. The Galaxy S3/iPhone 5, Note 2,etc have gotten universal praise. BB? Basically only Canada. And I can call bias (same as what you're trying to do) because RIM is canadian.
You're right, it doesn't. You just proved my point. Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
You're right, it doesn't. You just proved my point. Thanks
Not really...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...one-in-canada/

what do you think about this article?

completely lackluster.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Not really...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...one-in-canada/

what do you think about this article?

completely lackluster.
Yes, I did. Even before the edit. This is suppose to be a great article? Read the comments. Also he compares the Apple store with the phone store. You know the Apple store that sells the iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac, MacBook Pro etc and provides repair services. My bet those people are picking up their repaired products, but then again I could be wrong.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
BlackBerry10 Customers

"I am going from the Samsung S3 to the Z10.
Listen to music is just fine as I was able to drag and drop files from my PlayBook (videos/music) and put it in my Z10 (already better than the iPhone in that sense).
Maps works….sorry it's not Google Maps. Google Maps works in the browser."

"SAP noted they have ordered 16,000 BB10 phones and will deploy BES10."

"The entire Rogers staff is dropping their iPhones, and they are going with BB Z10."

"I have had a iPhone 4 since launch, and LOVE it.
But within an hour of using the Z10... well, it is time for a divorce. You can get the Z10 with 16GB of storage and get a 64GB SD card for under $80. With this setup, you are getting 80GB of storage for $80. The 64GB iPhone 5 is an additional $200 over the 16GB model. For storage capacity the Z10 wins.
Also, NO MORE ITUNES!!! I HATE itunes!!! With the Z10, you can just drag and drop songs/albums or movies into the memory card, simple as that!
And, battery life is better, even though Z10's screen is bigger!"

"Stopped using my Samsung Note 2 and switched to the Z10. Amazing so far. Love the interface even though it takes some getting used to."

"So far battery has been great.
As of 11am today I took my Z10 off the charger at 100%. Was on Wi-Fi all day, BBM, surfed the net, etc (usual day for a phone, except for making phone calls) listened to music on the drive to work.
As of 9:42pm, I'm at 67% on the battery. I won't even charge the thing until tomorrow to see when it dies.
Battery is still not dead…. its 1:30pm and the damn battery wont die!! still at 19%!!!
Positive notes:
i was able to get Google Maps app for the Z10!!!!!!!!
2. Whatsapp as well…. have to pop my SIM in to activate it
Loving the Z10."

"Got my new z10. Most amazing device I have ever owned. One problem, everyone I run into is insisting I show it to them and let them play with it."

"I have so many friends posting picture of Z10s on FaceBook and their BBM PIN. My co-worker went to 4 different Rogers store today looking for the phone. SOLD OUT. I got mine since i pre-ordered first day!"

"The easiest way to transfer contacts is to use Bluetooth from your BB9800 to your Z10."

"I have shown the phone to at least 15 people and EVERYONE says it looks incredible. If I were you (which I once was) I would switch. It is a GREAT phone!"

"Active sync and IMAP and pop emails and Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook all scanning well so far.
ITunes sync with BlackBerry Link all looks good so far."

"I got my Z10 today. Sweet!! Bell Salesperson said they had more Z10s going out today than they had Apple iPhone5s when they were introduced. I am glad I reserved mine. You won't be disappointed."

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 02-14-2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Removed HUGE advertisement
Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
BlackBerry10 Customers

"I am going from the Samsung S3 to the Z10.
Listen to music is just fine as I was able to drag and drop files from my PlayBook (videos/music) and put it in my Z10 (already better than the iPhone in that sense).
Maps works…..sorry it's not Google Maps. Google Maps works in the browser."

"SAP noted they have ordered 16,000 BB10 phones and will deploy BES10."

"The entire Rogers staff is dropping their iPhones, and they are going with BB Z10."

"I have had a iPhone 4 since launch, and LOVE it.
But within an hour of using the Z10... well, it is time for a divorce. You can get the Z10 with 16GB of storage and get a 64GB SD card for under $80. With this setup, you are getting 80GB of storage for $80. The 64GB iPhone 5 is an additional $200 over the 16GB model. For storage capacity the Z10 wins.
Also, NO MORE ITUNES!!! I HATE itunes!!! With the Z10, you can just drag and drop songs/albums or movies into the memory card, simple as that!
And, battery life is better, even though Z10's screen is bigger!"

"Stopped using my Samsung Note 2 and switched to the Z10. Amazing so far. Love the interface even though it takes some getting used to."

"So far battery has been great.
As of 11am today I took my Z10 off the charger at 100%. Was on Wi-Fi all day, BBM, surfed the net, etc (usual day for a phone, except for making phone calls) listened to music on the drive to work.
As of 9:42pm, I'm at 67% on the battery. I won't even charge the thing until tomorrow to see when it dies.
Battery is still not dead….. its 1:30pm and the damn battery wont die!! still at 19%!!!
Positive notes:
i was able to get Google Maps app for the Z10!!!!!!!!
2. Whatsapp as well….. have to pop my SIM in to activate it
Loving the Z10."

"Got my new z10. Most amazing device I have ever owned. One problem, everyone I run into is insisting I show it to them and let them play with it."

"I have so many friends posting picture of Z10s on FaceBook and their BBM PIN. My co-worker went to 4 different Rogers store today looking for the phone. SOLD OUT. I got mine since i pre-ordered first day!"

"The easiest way to transfer contacts is to use Bluetooth from your BB9800 to your Z10."

"I have shown the phone to at least 15 people and EVERYONE says it looks incredible. If I were you (which I once was) I would switch. It is a GREAT phone!"

"Active sync and IMAP and pop emails and Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook all scanning well so far.
ITunes sync with BlackBerry Link all looks good so far."

"I got my Z10 today. Sweet!! Bell Salesperson said they had more Z10s going out today than they had Apple iPhone5s when they were introduced. I am glad I reserved mine. You won't be disappointed."

Why don't you share with us if you bough the new Z10 that you love so much and how everything is working Then we will ask you how things are going Do you have any pictures of your Z10 Any screen shots of Applications that are installed and working

Show us your Whatsapp and Line Applications running along with Google Maps and Street View
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 02-14-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Removed HUGE advertisement in quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
BlackBerry10 Customers

“I am going from the Samsung S3 to the Z10.
Maps works…sorry it’s not Google Maps. Google Maps works in the browser.”

“SAP noted they have ordered 16,000 BB10 phones and will deploy BES10.”

“The entire Rogers staff is dropping their iPhones, and they are going with BB Z10.”

“I have had a iPhone 4 since launch, and LOVE it.
And, battery life is better, even though Z10’s screen is bigger!”
If you want to post technical info or discuss the phone, OK, but it IS getting to the point where you're just spamming the board daily with this stuff to bump your thread.

No more of this, OK? If you want to talk about YOUR battery life with the phone, how YOU like it more than the iPhone and why, or any other experience you've had, fine, but no spamming.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Why don't you share with us if you bough the new Z10 that you love so much and how everything is working Then we will ask you how things are going Do you have any pictures of your Z10 Any screen shots of Applications that are installed and working

Show us your Whatsapp and Line Applications running along with Google Maps and Street View
Google maps through the browser and I believe they had it ported on the Dev Alpha version, don't remember if it is on the current version or not. I'm pretty sure it isn't on there natively yet. Never heard of Line Applications, sorry.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post

Not yet available from the major USandA wireless carriers yet.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Google maps through the browser and I believe they had it ported on the Dev Alpha version, don't remember if it is on the current version or not. I'm pretty sure it isn't on there natively yet. Never heard of Line Applications, sorry.
Google maps BAR works on the playbook. No porting needed. Just load it and run the sh!t.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
Not yet available from the major USandA wireless carriers yet.
I'd imagine if people wanted it so bad, they'd be getting unlocked & grey market phones... like, you know, it happens with iPhones.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
I'd imagine if people wanted it so bad, they'd be getting unlocked & grey market phones... like, you know, it happens with iPhones.
It is happening, plenty of listings on ebay. Also kijiji has some listed. Lot of want ads for them. Plenty of people are waiting lists too.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
It is happening, plenty of listings on ebay. Also kijiji has some listed...
Well, did YOU get one? Or when it comes to own money, considerations change?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Well, did YOU get one? Or when it comes to own money, considerations change?
I'm on Tmobile and I haven't seen any confirmed report on the device being able to work with 4G LTE. The only carrier is Wind which I believe has not released it yet. I will be getting one on release day on Tmobile, off contract. I could buy one today but risk not having 4G LTE. I'd rather wait for that.

Verizon since it is proprietary network, you just have to wait.
Rogers and AT&T works together.
Sprint is always last on announcing phones, they are much like Verizon.

Just get my info from crackberry.com mostly.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
RIM Co-Founder Jim Balsillie Dumps Remaining Stock, BlackBerry Plunges

BlackBerry's (NASDAQ: BBRY ) co-founder Jim Balsillie has dumped his remaining stock in the firm. Shares plunged in the early hours of trading on Thursday, before correcting later in the session.

The Waterloo, Ontario firm (that recently changed its name from Research in Motion to BlackBerry) was co-founded in 1992 by Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis . The firm made history in 2002 with the release of the first true smartphone.

However, as smartphone technology advanced, Blackberry gradually faced increasing competition from the likes of Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL ) iPhone and, later, Google's (NASDAQ: GOOG ) Android operating system. While Android has grown exponentially over the past few years, Blackberry has faded into an abyss -- particularly in the US.

Add to that a series of blunders and lackluster results and the recipe for a virtual force-out was set. Both Balsillie and co-CEO Lazaridis stepped down from their roles as co-CEOs in January of 2012.

Two months later, Balsillie resigned from his position on the company's board of directors after a weak earnings report. With that, the man who co-founded one of the most popular tech companies in the modern era severed his final direct tie to Blackberry.

Balsillie's exit didn't bring an immediate turnaround. Blackberry's U.S. market shared dropped to 1.6 percent from August through October of 2012 as compared to the same period in 2011, down from 8.5 percent. Similarly, the company's market share dropped from 19 to eight percent during the period.

BlackBerry has been on thin ice on its home turf in Canada. Android exploded to take a significant lead at 36 percent while iPhone holds the second place ranking at 29 percent. BlackBerry has dropped to third at 27 percent .

Further fueling the downslide, BlackBerry's market share in Spain dropped from 24 percent to three percent during the same period as compared to 2011, while [B]dropping from nine to three percent in Brazil and 16 to seven percent in France[/B], as notes BGR . Importantly, the firm has depended on the Latin American and Mediterranean markets to remain afloat, given its declining popularity in North America and the U.K. as well as its weak performance in China and India.

Now, after a somewhat successful stock performance over the past month, BlackBerry has dropped in trading on Thursday, apparently on word of Balsillie's dumping of shares. The company had been riding a wave of market success, largely on buzz about its latest Z10 device. However, it has traded down as much as around six percent on Thursday.

As of this writing, Blackberry has recovered a bit and is down around 0.5 percent.

Last edited by GeneArch; 02-14-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM

^ lol, I just saw this. Even the co-founder has lost hope for BB.
Closed Thread