Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
Why BlackBerry Can Regain Momentum In The Enterprise

BlackBerry has realized that in order to stay relevant the company must refocus on what it has always done best: delivering, first and foremost, enterprise messaging and productivity solutions. Once known as King of the Enterprise, the company’s recent announcements should give them a fighting chance at earning back that title – that’s if developers and third party consultants buy into it.

Of course, Blackberry is now dealing with a very different enterprise market, where BYOD [bring your own device] has become the dominant model. Whether you’re buying your own device or using a company supplied one, the key drivers for purchasers are strong email and personal information management software, a great phonebook and battery life of a full working day.

Having spent some time with the platform, here are the advantages I believe BlackBerry has on its side:

• The BlackBerry 10 platform: This robust platform is fast and highly responsive, putting BlackBerry on a competitive level with other competing smartphone OS platforms. It is built on QNX, which has been the leading software platform for the automotive industry for many years. This means that although it’s new as a mobile phone platform, unlike other new entrants it is far from being an immature platform.

• The lack of applications: Many see this as a weakness and a major barrier for the company, but I beg to differ. By not offering an overabundance of consumer apps, the company underscores its focus on the enterprise and productivity as its target market and shows decision makers that they are not getting lost playing the consumer hype game. Having the right apps that enhance the power of what is essentially a mobile productivity tool is much more important for BlackBerry’s target market than having 30,000 different wallpaper themes.

• The user interface: Blackberry’s new user interface has clearly been optimized around messaging with its unique hub set up which allows access to all your messages and conversations at any time, from any application. Also, the enhanced predictive text experience is simply a joy to use and is going to force a lot of companies to re-think how they optimize and speed up message input on their devices. Don’t be surprised if you find that new Z10 users are sending you long emails that you never thought possible for someone to write without a physical keyboard.

• Secure access and remote management: BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, the company’s new version of its Web-based mobility management software, allows an enterprise to remotely manage security settings for all employees’ smartphones and provide secure access to corporate data through the devices. BlackBerry Balance, a new feature, helps users keep their personal and work information in separate spaces on their phone (something that several companies have been trying to do without success on Android for some time). This feature works well and addresses a clear pain point for professional users. It’s this type of thought and attention to detail, geared toward the mobile prosumer, that will enable BlackBerry to regain its high value position in the enterprise market.

• Keyboard options: The few who have stuck with RIM through its fall from grace say the keypad is what sets the phone apart from the sea of touchscreen devices. The company’s announcement of both touchscreen and keypad models allows an option for both those who loved the old version and those who have been tempted by the Apple and Android products on the market. Another interesting aspect is the care and attention to detail in ensuring a strong level of commonality between the QWERTY and Touch models. This will enable users to seamlessly move between different form factors, which could prove invaluable in a world where people increasingly own multiple mobile devices.

• Cross Platform Integration: Perhaps more for the future, but QNX, the foundation of BB10 is still a leading OS for the automotive market. This will give BlackBerry the potential to develop innovative in-car experiences that could be highly attractive to the prosumer market. Seamless integration of voice, video and navigation experiences are still not where they need to be as a whole and no other company in the world owns the in-car and mobile device platform in the way that BlackBerry does.

I believe BlackBerry has some of the key ingredients necessary to win back the hearts of those customers who left them for the sleeker, more popular Android and Apple devices. However, Blackberry’s ultimate success will lie in whether or not developers who have shifted their attention to the more complex operating systems will support BB10. The fact that the company is no longer behind in the specification stakes – now using multi-core processors, high capacity imagers, full touchscreens, advanced graphics acceleration and a wide range of sensors – may help attract developers. But will it be too little too late? Only time will tell, but it is certainly fair to say that Blackberry has come out fighting above its weight and so far not disappointed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ciocentr...he-enterprise/

Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
you know when BB server was down last year, the number of accidents in dubai had dropped incredibly.

but you may be right, car makers may start replacing those car entertainment systems with "in dash" holders for huge-ass smartphones in the future. it will be like yesterday again when people carried around their car decks like in the '80s.
Trying to see what is on that Bold screen in sunny Dubai while driving would have to be a huge disaster waiting to happen.

I'm actually flying to Dubai this week

Looks like Mr. Berry fan is back lol...
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 PM

BlackBerry 10 – Game Control

Not only does BlackBerry 10 have tons of the hottest game titles, we now have video demoing various gamepads now being able to pair via bluetooth to the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone! We all know that high content action games can be difficult to play with the controls being on the touchscreen. The gamepad alleviates that by bringing the controls to a physical controller.

The Gametel gamepad allows you to attach your Z10 device directly to the controller above the game controls. This controller is touted to have 9 hours of battery life.

BB10 Game Developers FAQ

1. What gamepads are supported right now?
The SteelSeries Free.
The Gametel.
The Wii Remote. Note that currently only the core buttons on the remote itself are supported – that means no attachments and no motion controls, just the D-Pad and other buttons.

2. If new gamepads come out, do I have to update my game to support them?
No, you don’t! When new controllers become available, we’ll update the mappings in a system update and your game will start receiving gamepad inputs from the new hardware. Because the Gamepad API is an abstraction above HID, and because we map each gamepad’s unique HID report format to the Gamepad API, you don’t need to write any code that’s specific to a single controller.

3. Do users need to install anything to set up or configure their gamepads?
No. The Gamepad API is integrated into the Screen library, the same library you are already using to handle touch, keyboard, and other input events. All users have to do is pair their device through the Bluetooth settings screen for it to start sending inputs to your game.

http://www.blackberryos.com/content/...trollers-5333/

Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 PM

BlackBerry 10 - March U.S. Launch

• Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T will be getting the BlackBerry Z10

• Verizon will have the white Z10 exclusively

• Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are rushing to be the first to get the Z10 into the U.S. market

Old 03-01-2013, 03:48 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
BlackBerry 10 - March U.S. Launch

• Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T will be getting the BlackBerry Z10

• Verizon will have the white Z10 exclusively

• Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are rushing to be the first to get the Z10 into the U.S. market

I''m more interested in the date that the bot gets banned.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
I''m more interested in the date that the bot gets banned.
+1 lol...
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Harmless bot.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 PM

Time for some more Z10 media links in 321...
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-04-2013, 11:37 PM

BB10 Software Update v10.0.10.85

Here are just a few of the improvements you can expect after updating your software.

3rd Party App Performance
We've improved performance for 3rd party applications, so developers can build apps that run fast and smooth for you. With this update, you might want to keep an eye out for some fresh new app launches in March, like WhatsApp.

Phone, Calendar, and Contacts
Among the top improvements and features are fixes for Gmail calendars on BlackBerry 10. You'll also find improvements in the BlackBerry Hub for logging calls log and how conversations are handled. We've also made general improvements to importing contacts from online sources.

Camera
We've optimized the camera for better photos in low-light situations. You'll love the difference this makes for photos where you don't use a flash – like the Time Shift Camera feature.

Browser and Media
With more and more of you using the gorgeous screen on the BlackBerry Z10 to consume online videos and media, we've made a number of improvements to the software in the way the browser handles video playback to provide a fantastic experience.

Battery Life
The software team has included a number of battery life optimizations with over 60 battery saving improvements since launch to keep you moving. These combined improvements are designed so that you see improvements in battery life and heavy users especially should see a longer average usage per charge cycle.

How to update your software on BlackBerry 10
Software is available over the air (OTA). Typically, you'll get a notification about new updates, but you can manually check to see if it has been made available by your service provider and install it in a few simple steps.
Settings> Software Updates> Check for Updates> - then follow the on screen steps to install.
The download is approximately 150MB in size, so I recommend updating when connected to Wi-Fi.

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/02/2...os-10-0-10-85/

Last edited by MCSL; 03-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 PM

BlackBerry today courted its core group of customers - business and IT professionals.

Executives from the beleaguered company — fighting for its life in recent years against the huge mobile market gains made by Apple and Android devices — delved into the enterprise-heavy capabilities of BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) 10 during an event in New York City.

The event kicked off with a round of mea culpas from BlackBerry heads. Richard Piasentin, vice president and managing director of U.S. sales, marketing, and operations, told the audience that one cause of BlackBerry's woes was, "RIM…I'm using RIM intentionally here, a couple of years ago, stopped listening to its most important clients, both from an enterprise perspective and also from an end user perspective."

Without the "patience and loyalty of IT enterprises like yourselves, big business, and B2B" BlackBerry "would not be here today," he told those in attendance.

Jeff Holleran, senior director of Enterprise Product Management, then apologized to IT BES administrators for last year's release of BlackBerry Mobile Fusion, which he dubbed "Mobile Confusion" and said "created nothing but confusion in the marketplace."

The company's focus is now back on the features for what it was once lauded: security and corporate-level device management. With BES 10, the BlackBerry ecosystem acknowledges and works with, rather than try to harshly control, the influx of end users' personal mobile devices on corporate networks.

Here's a rundown of specific BES 10 features demonstrated and discussed at the event:

• BES 10 provides behind-the-firewall connections and secure connectivity to back-end services and corporate apps without need for a VPN. Public or private connectivity through a carrier network, public Internet, or a Direct Enterprise Connection (DEC), are all supported.

• Push technology is a key feature, as well as the ability to work when devices are offline.

• BES 10 includes built-in app management and provides enterprise-level mobility management, cross-platform management, and unified communications.

• End-users can easily activate a device to BES with an administrator-supplied activation code and by entering an email address on their devices.

• BlackBerry Management Studio is a centralized console where admins can manage BES as well as create groups, and apply policies and profiles to individuals or groups.

• Secure end-to-end encryption and FIPS-140-2 validation are among security features in the BlackBerry platform.

• BlackBerry World for Work lets organizations create a private, corporate app storefront. Apps from the public BlackBerry World store can be added to a private store. BlackBerry World now has over 70,000 apps. One thousand apps have been added every day since its launch. Many of the apps come from partners of BlackBerry including Cisco, Citrix, Box, and SAP.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416190,00.asp

Old 03-05-2013, 12:08 AM

Here in Dubai I have only seen Indians using the new Z10 and not many. Most shops have 1-2 on the shelf and a whole bunch of other smartphones. Demand for this new smartphone is not that big but I have found that the Indian population here in Dubai likes this smartphone.

I asked the Indian fellow on the metro of he likes it and he shook his head right and left the Indian way lol.. He said most chat applications did not work well but otherwise he likes it. Maps was average he said as it did not have Google Maps. Google Maps in Dubai shows you the Metro line which is pretty cool.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Here in Dubai I have only seen Indians using the new Z10 and not many. Most shops have 1-2 on the shelf and a whole bunch of other smartphones. Demand for this new smartphone is not that big but I have found that the Indian population here in Dubai likes this smartphone.

I asked the Indian fellow on the metro of he likes it and he shook his head right and left the Indian way lol.. He said most chat applications did not work well but otherwise he likes it. Maps was average he said as it did not have Google Maps. Google Maps in Dubai shows you the Metro line which is pretty cool.

he could just slide load google maps or what ever apps he's missing
Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
he could just slide load google maps or what ever apps he's missing
I asked him about that and he said they did not work too well.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: German
SPRINT TAKES A PASS ON BLACKBERRY'S FIRST NEW SMARTPHONE

Quote:
BGR confirmed some of the best news BlackBerry could possibly get late last week, but not everyone is convinced that the BlackBerry Z10 will have the same draw in the United States. The nation's No.3 carrier Sprint (S) recently confirmed to Bloomberg that it will be the only top carrier in the U.S. to pass on BlackBerry's (BBRY) first next-generation smartphone. Instead, Sprint will wait for the BlackBerry Q10 before it gives the new BlackBerry 10 platform any support. "We aren't saying there's anything different about our customers," a Sprint spokesperson said. "We think our customers will be happy with the qwerty keyboard and touch screen on the Q10."
http://bgr.com/2013/03/04/blackberry...t-pass-359152/

EARLY BLACKBERRY Z10 PRICE CUTS COULD BE OMINOUS SIGN

Quote:
[UK's leading mobile phone retailer Carphone Warehouse has cut the monthly package price of the BlackBerry Z10 from £36 to £29. That amounts to a £160 (or $240) price drop over the life of a 24-month contract. Vodafone is also now offering a package deal that is £72 cheaper than its previous one. The new monthly price for BlackBerry's (BBRY) Z10 at Carphone Warehouse is on par with the monthly package for Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 4S, so it now sits squarely in the mid-range smartphone price bracket. The Z10 does retain a £29 upfront fee since it's a new model; older handsets such as the iPhone 4S come free with a two-year deal.

This price cut does come very early in the phone life cycle - contract prices for the iPhone 5 or Galaxy S III sure didn't drop just one month after they debuted. But interpreting operator and retailer price cuts is always tricky.

It is possible that Carphone Warehouse is gunning for market share and has opted to use the Z10 as one of its weapons. It is worth noting that Carphone Warehouse is now also offering a £21 monthly package for the Galaxy S III as a Web Exclusive. This, however, could be a price cut that is associated with the imminent announcement of the next Galaxy S iteration. The Z10 is a brand new model featuring a brand new OS with no successor in sight.

Carphone Warehouse does feature the Z10 on its front page among the four smartphones it deems to be "Bestselling Monthly Deals." BlackBerry is the only brand outside Apple and Samsung (005930) to be included in this elite group of phones. The Z10***8242;s early pricing was notably high, so it may be that retailers always planned a relatively early price cut after the early adopter rush subsided.

One last ominous note: on the widely followed British site that compiles statistics on most popular handsets in the UK, Sony's (SNE) Xperia Z has surprisingly hit the No.1 position in the USwitch Mobile Tracker in March. Motorola's new Milestone XT720 made its a debut at No.10.The Z10 does not appear anywhere on the chart.
NETFLIX WILL NOT DEVELOP A BLACKBERRY 10 APP

Quote:
In what could be major blow to BlackBerry's (BBRY) new operating system, a Netflix (NFLX) spokesperson has confirmed to AllThingsD that it has no plans for a BlackBerry 10 app. BlackBerry previously revealed that it was "in talks" with both Netflix and a variety of other companies to bring popular applications to its mobile platform. Netflix has now confirmed, however, that it has no plans of developing a native or port version of its video streaming app for the BlackBerry 10 operating system. Sources speaking to AllThingsD claim the company has little incentive to develop for the platform and its small user base, suggesting that maintaining the app would outweigh any potential benefits garnered from it.
http://bgr.com/2013/03/04/netflix-bl...nius+Report%29

So let's get this straight. America's 3rd largest carrier isn't going to carry this "game-changing" phone. Providers are already defaulting to price cuts to move devices, and one of the most popular Android/iOS apps, Netflix, decided not to bother with Blackberry?

lollol
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 PM

The German Federal Government has chosen to use BlackBerry 10. They've chosen so by the use of the SecuSUITE for BlackBerry 10. The solution was chosen specifically for the Procurement Office of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior and the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) for the encrypted communication.

The unique capabilities of Secusmart Security card and the BlackBerry Balance technologies enable users for the first time to meet the extremely high security requirements of the German federal authorities for secure data transmission and exchange secure voice – without compromising the user experience.

"The combined solution government customers provides for the first time an excellent smartphone user experience without sensitive government information at risk." SecuSUITE for BlackBerry 10 "is based on the secure voice product SecuVOICE that already by the German BSI, the Dutch NBV, the EU Council for Information Security and NATO RESTRICTED VS communication has been released, "said Secusmart CEO Dr. Hans-Christoph Quelle. "We are pleased that we user-friendly by linking SecuSUITE and BlackBerry 10 correspond to the extremely high security requirements of the German federal authorities."

"Safety has always been the cornerstone of the BlackBerry solution was. Nothing is safer than a BlackBerry smartphone that operates on a BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10," said Scott Totzke, Senior Vice President, BlackBerry Security Group. "With BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry Balance, we deliver a groundbreaking platform that combines the advanced security with a new, powerful mobile computing experience.'s Security solution" SecuSUITE for BlackBerry 10 "provides government organizations that work with highly sensitive data, an unprecedented combination of voice – and data security, usability and cost. "

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-10-secusu...al-government/

Last edited by MCSL; 03-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 AM
lurking

http://bgr.com/2013/03/05/apple-inno...alysis-360423/

Investors told to show patience while Apple faces ‘significant and competent competition’

Quote:
One of the things that has made Apple (AAPL) such a success over the years — that is, its quiet focus and its general refusal to overreact to investor noise — has recently got the company into trouble. Why? Because some Wall Street analysts want Apple to respond more quickly to the challenges being presented by the rise of Samsung (005930) as a legitimate force in the smartphone market. But Barron’s points us to a new research note from UBS analyst Steve Milunovich, who says that investors will need to be patient and not expect the sort of explosive growth that the company exhibited last decade because it is facing more “significant and competent competition” in the consumer electronics realm than it has ever faced before.
In fact, Milunovich thinks that the only way Apple can ever return to the sort of growth it experienced between 2007 and 2012 is with “innovation in new categories,” which is something that will inevitably “require investor patience” since the company has historically refused to rush products onto the market to capitalize on market trends.
“Most companies would rush out a 5-6” phone,” writes Milunovich, referring to the current popularity of “phablets” such as Samsung’s large Galaxy Note II. “Apple probably won’t.”
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 AM
lurking

looks like Windows RT in germany and the rest of europe is going to be dead

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/06/s...v-tab-germany/

Quote:

We already know that Samsung was too timid (or maybe too sensible) to launch its Windows RT-based ATIV Tab hybrid in the US, but now it appears the manufacturer is having doubts about European demand too. Heise.de and our friends at MobileGeeks are reporting that Samsung will stop selling its ATIV Tab in Germany -- Europe's biggest economy -- and some other unspecified European countries after speaking to retailers about the level of interest they're seeing for Microsoft's stripped down OS. This European retreat is said to have been confirmed by Samsung execs at CeBIT in Hanover, and MobileGeeks editor Sascha Pallenberg told us that the Korean company simply "sees no market for RT in Germany and other European countries." We've asked Samsung for further clarification and we'll update this post as soon as we hear back. As things stand, the ATIV Tab is still listed for sale by Amazon.de priced at 605 euros.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
http://bgr.com/2013/03/05/apple-inno...alysis-360423/

Investors told to show patience while Apple faces ‘significant and competent competition’
Apple found out the hard way that most people in this world are not like many Americans where they buy a smartphone and use it for 2 years before replacing it. This isn't exactly marriage lol.. For many in Asia after 6-9 months many want a new smartphone. A year is pushing it for many out there so if Apple did not come up with something new people simply bought something else that was new.

Even cars of which are $20K and above people lease/buy and get the next new car after 1-2 years.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
lurking

Quote:

those highly industrious people over theres love their blackberries don't they .... just like them germans.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Black...-India_id40531

Quote:
The BlackBerry Z10 has recently launched in India and by all indications, sales are off to a strong start. The strong start has beaten BlackBerry's own expectations enough for BlackBerry India to raise its forecast for Z10 sales in the country by 40%. According to Sunil Dutt, Managing Director of BlackBerry India, in some areas, 45% of those purchasing the phone were coming to BlackBerry from another platform, which is a good sign for the new BlackBerry 10 device.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 PM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
The German Federal Government has chosen to use BlackBerry 10. They've chosen so by the use of the SecuSUITE for BlackBerry 10. The solution was chosen specifically for the Procurement Office of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior and the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) for the encrypted communication.

The unique capabilities of Secusmart Security card and the BlackBerry Balance technologies enable users for the first time to meet the extremely high security requirements of the German federal authorities for secure data transmission and exchange secure voice – without compromising the user experience.
looking the it may be 40,000 units. not too shabby.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/blackber...-from-germany/
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 PM

The German government plans to buy as many as 40,000 BlackBerry 10 devices that will be enhanced with security applications from SecuSmart to meet NATO standards.

HANNOVER, Germany — The new BlackBerry 10 smartphone, which has already been released in Europe, is the only wireless platform secure enough to meet NATO requirements, while also retaining its ability to function as a smartphone connected to the Web.

German security company SecuSmart launched a new Micro SD-based encryption engine that takes advantage of BlackBerry's new Balance feature, which allows the creation of a wall between two functions of the BlackBerry, allowing one part to be strictly for business, and the other for personal use.

The SecuSmart security suite allows users to have access to their personal email, social networks and apps, while also maintaining a secure environment for protected apps and communications. The process allows easy switching between the two parts of the BlackBerry, with access to the secure side available only when the SecuSmart SD card is installed. "If you remove the card, the secure part of BlackBerry Balance simply goes away," a spokesman told eWEEK.

"It's easy to make a phone secure," the spokesman said, "but it's hard to make a secure phone smart." He said that the only wireless device that makes that possible is the BlackBerry 10 device. The SecuSuite for the BlackBerry 10 includes encryption for email, secure encrypted voice and secure Internet use.

The SecuSmart software is able to detect when it's communicating with another SecuSmart BlackBerry 10 and to automatically switch to encrypted communications. The device will also allow users to make nonsecure calls to phones without the SecuSmart software.

"Security has always been built into the heart of the BlackBerry solution," said Scott Totzke, senior vice president of the BlackBerry Security Group, in a prepared statement. "Nothing is more secure than a BlackBerry smartphone connected to BlackBerry Enterprise Server 10."

BlackBerry 10 and BlackBerry Balance bring a "breakthrough platform that combines state-of-the-art security with a powerful new mobile computing experience," Totzke continued. " The SecuSuite for BlackBerry 10 solution brings together an unprecedented combination of voice and data security, usability and cost-effectiveness for government organizations that work with highly sensitive information."

However, SecuSmart is not limiting sales to government organizations. The SecuSmart spokesman said that the secure BlackBerry will be available to anyone, including corporate users. The company expects broad acceptance in industries where security is highly important, including financial services, technology and pharmaceuticals. The SecuSmart BlackBerry devices will also be offered to government agencies in the United States and elsewhere, "except maybe to Syria and North Korea," the spokesman said.

The SecuSmart-equipped BlackBerry is sold as a unit by SecuSmart with the encryption card already installed. Currently the price is 2,400 euros, or about $3,132 (U.S.). The devices will be available in the United States in March 2013 along with the arrival of the BlackBerry Z10 for AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless.

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/blackber...-from-germany/

https://www.secusmart.com/en/secusui...lackberryr-10/

https://www.secusmart.com/uploads/me...ry_2013_EN.pdf

Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 PM

At this point it would again be fair to ask the question, "So was this really just a case of BlackBerry not shipping enough phones?" I definitely believe they would prefer to manufacture some scarcity to have the psychological perception of a strong launch. But it seems they genuinely got caught off guard with the big demand.

Check out this Google translation of an interview Thorsten Heins had with a German news outlet. In a nutshell, Heins says that they had a fairly ambitious plan and have seen higher demand then they expected. He sees sales numbers every day and is quite pleased with the success of this Z10 launch. As a result, they've had to increase manufacturing production.

Closing in on the end of the first launch month, Canadian retailer GLENTEL reported that the Z10 was the #1 selling smartphone across its store base in February. So for people who thought the sellouts were really just driven by poor supply rather than strong demand, think again. Obviously the iPhone and Android are not in short supply. Yet the Z10 outsold them at GLENTEL owned retail locations such as WirelessWave, and in Costco wireless kiosks.

Getting hard data would be nice. But getting comparable sales data across competing products is at least better than hearing about sellouts. It tells you very clearly that the reason for a sellout is not JUST weak supply. It's a sign of strong demand. Period.

Finally, over the last few days we've started to see some public commentary by BlackBerry executives about the ability of the Z10 to suck people back into the BlackBerry family. As I just wrote about recently, Rick Costanzo said about one third of Z10 buyers are coming from outside of the BlackBerry customer base across the 50 markets they've launched in so far. That's awesome.

http://crackberry.com/roundup-positi...blackberry-z10

Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM

In stock at many shops in Dubai Mall with few buyers. Retailing for 2599 Dhms. Roughly $700
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1362671877.283899.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	365212  
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
In stock at many shops in Dubai Mall with few buyers. Retailing for 2599 Dhms. Roughly $700
I was in Montreal this past weekend and finally got to play with the Z10 for a few minutes. We were right. It's basically '"meh." Ripoff.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 AM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I was in Montreal this past weekend and finally got to play with the Z10 for a few minutes. We were right. It's basically '"meh." Ripoff.
most of these old(er) 5, 7 year old mobile operating systems are like that as well. meh....