Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I'm betting no reply from MSCL

Analysts at Deutsche Bank issued a report to investors saying that their checks on sales for Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) do not indicate that the BlackBerry Z10 is selling very well, even in Canada. However, they say that some long-time BlackBerry users may be waiting until the Q10 and its traditional BlackBerry keyboard comes out. They also note that they found no customer returns due to dissatisfaction with the Z10.

=Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY) (TSE: BB) just released its new BlackBerry Z10 handset in the U.S. on the AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) network today, and analysts are making predictions about how well it will do. There's certainly no doubt that Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY) (TSE: BB) faces an uphill battle in the U.S., and analysts at Deutsche Bank AG (ETR: DBK) (FRA: DBK) (NYSE: DB) say their checks on their sales show an "euphoria waning, even on home turf."

The analysts said they finished another round of checks in the U.K. and in Canada, including 150 different stores, not one of which was sold out. They also found only a few sales representatives recommended the BlackBerry Z10 without being asked about it. Sales reps in the U.K. were found to be less likely to recommend the handset than those in Canada.

Deutsche Bank AG (ETR: DBK) (FRA: DBK) (NYSE: DB) analysts also said that two Canadian carriers have reduced their prices on the BlackBerry Z10, which may mean that the demand is falling and pressure on the company's margins is ahead. However, no stores that they checked reported any customer returns due to dissatisfaction with the device.

Analysts are concerned that price erosion may become a big problem for RIM, but they also say that BlackBerry users who are truly faithful to the original keyboard design may simply be waiting for the Q10 to come out because it features the traditional BlackBerry design.

Analysts at Deutsche Bank AG (ETR: DBK) (FRA: DBK) (NYSE: DB) "continue to remain cautious" on shares of Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB) and are maintaining their Hold rating and $8 per share price target on the stock. (It is currently at $15)

Shares of Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY) (TSE: BB) were mostly flat in Friday afternoon trades at the NASDAQ.

'Get ValueWalk's Daily Edition By Email and Never Miss Our Top Stories'

Last edited by GeneArch; 03-22-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
He'll be along to post some marketing materials in an hour or so.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
He seems to post at a particular time every time lol.. Like I had said before as well is that when I was in Dubai there was quite a bit of stock at the retail shops selling smartphones. Just a few pieces and a few that really were not selling.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
I'm betting no reply from MSCL

Analysts at Deutsche Bank issued a report to investors saying that their checks on sales for Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) do not indicate that the BlackBerry Z10 is selling very well, even in Canada. However, they say that some long-time BlackBerry users may be waiting until the Q10 and its traditional BlackBerry keyboard comes out. They also note that they found no customer returns due to dissatisfaction with the Z10.

=Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY) (TSE: BB) just released its new BlackBerry Z10 handset in the U.S. on the AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) network today, and analysts are making predictions about how well it will do. There's certainly no doubt that Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY) (TSE: BB) faces an uphill battle in the U.S., and analysts at Deutsche Bank AG (ETR: DBK) (FRA: DBK) (NYSE: DB) say their checks on their sales show an "euphoria waning, even on home turf."

The analysts said they finished another round of checks in the U.K. and in Canada, including 150 different stores, not one of which was sold out. They also found only a few sales representatives recommended the BlackBerry Z10 without being asked about it. Sales reps in the U.K. were found to be less likely to recommend the handset than those in Canada.

Deutsche Bank AG (ETR: DBK) (FRA: DBK) (NYSE: DB) analysts also said that two Canadian carriers have reduced their prices on the BlackBerry Z10, which may mean that the demand is falling and pressure on the company's margins is ahead. However, no stores that they checked reported any customer returns due to dissatisfaction with the device.

Analysts are concerned that price erosion may become a big problem for RIM, but they also say that BlackBerry users who are truly faithful to the original keyboard design may simply be waiting for the Q10 to come out because it features the traditional BlackBerry design.

Analysts at Deutsche Bank AG (ETR: DBK) (FRA: DBK) (NYSE: DB) "continue to remain cautious" on shares of Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ:BBRY) (TSE:BB) and are maintaining their Hold rating and $8 per share price target on the stock. (It is currently at $15)

Shares of Research In Motion Ltd (NASDAQ: BBRY) (TSE: BB) were mostly flat in Friday afternoon trades at the NASDAQ.

'Get ValueWalk's Daily Edition By Email and Never Miss Our Top Stories'
You really expect stores in UK and Canada to be still sold out after it has been out for well over a month in UK and Canada?

You going to ignore the analysts that have indicated it is a buy?
Carriers drop prices all the time, doesn't mean the sales are bad.
I do have to say, the best part of your "I'm trying to short the stock, so I post everything negative to justify it" article is this line:

However, no stores that they checked reported any customer returns due to dissatisfaction with the device.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Blackberry Z10 fails to break Amazon Top 100 Best Sellers, being outsold by Blackberry Curve and Torch

It seems Windows Phone fans have even less reason to worry about being overtaken by the new Blackberry OS, as the newly launched Blackberry Z10 failed to break even the 100th spot in Amazon’s AT&T Best Seller list.

The list, which is populated by numerous Windows Phones and has the Black Lumia 920 in 4th spot, in fact does have a few Blackberry models – the Blackberry Torch 4G 9810 (currently unavailable) in the 21st spot and the Blackberry Bold 9900 (also unavailable) in the 38th spot.

In fact the first Blackberry you can actually buy is the Blackberry Curve 8520, at 67th spot on the list.

The new Blackberry Z10 is of course available on Amazon, and in stock, for a solid $199 and 48 hours after launch only has 9 (of course glowing) reviews. Pity it is being outsold by the Sony Ericsson W580i, made by a company which does not exist anymore, which hold’s the 100th spot on the list.

Of course one may argue that Blackberry fans had very little need to go online to secure the phone, with plenty of stock available in store, but with many AT&T retailers having between 0-4 handsets available, the lack of shortages either online or in store tells its own story about demand in the USA. With only a 0.9% market share in January, according to Kantar, it seems the new OS and handset did little to improve the situation.

Our readers may wonder why we concern ourselves with the fate of the Canadian OS. The reason is unfortunately sad but true – for Windows Phone to succeed Blackberry has to fail. There can not be two 3rd place operating systems, and many question whether even a 3rd place OS can be viable at all. If Blackberry 10 came storming out of the gate it would have been bad news for Windows Phone – diverting the attention of developers, carriers, the media and buying public.

Fortunately that did not happen, leaving Windows Phone free to continue slowly climbing the market share charts, something which Blackberry has learned over the last few years to only do in reverse.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
He's one I cannot figure out. Has anyone ever met him?

MCSL, come to bimmerfest one of these years.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZ View Post
He's one I cannot figure out. Has anyone ever met him?

MCSL, come to bimmerfest one of these years.
Hey, I like him. He just has his OCD different than ours, is all.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Hey, I like him. He just has his OCD different than ours, is all.

Have you ever met him? Is he real or just a robot?

Just saw that in Hong Kong the device is free if you just sign a contract with the carrier to take it from them lol.. If it is free at launch in Hong Kong then it can't be all that great.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Pretty damn great looking device... Period!

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1364137313016.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	367888  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post

Just saw that in Hong Kong the device is free if you just sign a contract with the carrier to take it from them lol.. If it is free at launch in Hong Kong then it can't be all that great.
No, I didn't meet him. I just like him as an online/member person. If you look at his other posts in the specific car's subforum, he's a pretty cool guy.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Ones and Zeros

Quote:

No, I've seen him reply without links, he's a real person.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Or maybe a very advanced AI model.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 PM

Like an erection with excitement things went up quickly at first but waned quickly after lol..

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/black...rs-495224.html
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
Blackberry Z10 fails to break Amazon Top 100 Best Sellers, being outsold by Blackberry Curve and Torch

It seems Windows Phone fans have even less reason to worry about being overtaken by the new Blackberry OS, as the newly launched Blackberry Z10 failed to break even the 100th spot in Amazon’s AT&T Best Seller list.

The list, which is populated by numerous Windows Phones and has the Black Lumia 920 in 4th spot, in fact does have a few Blackberry models – the Blackberry Torch 4G 9810 (currently unavailable) in the 21st spot and the Blackberry Bold 9900 (also unavailable) in the 38th spot.

In fact the first Blackberry you can actually buy is the Blackberry Curve 8520, at 67th spot on the list.

The new Blackberry Z10 is of course available on Amazon, and in stock, for a solid $199 and 48 hours after launch only has 9 (of course glowing) reviews. Pity it is being outsold by the Sony Ericsson W580i, made by a company which does not exist anymore, which hold’s the 100th spot on the list.

Of course one may argue that Blackberry fans had very little need to go online to secure the phone, with plenty of stock available in store, but with many AT&T retailers having between 0-4 handsets available, the lack of shortages either online or in store tells its own story about demand in the USA. With only a 0.9% market share in January, according to Kantar, it seems the new OS and handset did little to improve the situation.

Our readers may wonder why we concern ourselves with the fate of the Canadian OS. The reason is unfortunately sad but true – for Windows Phone to succeed Blackberry has to fail. There can not be two 3rd place operating systems, and many question whether even a 3rd place OS can be viable at all. If Blackberry 10 came storming out of the gate it would have been bad news for Windows Phone – diverting the attention of developers, carriers, the media and buying public.

Fortunately that did not happen, leaving Windows Phone free to continue slowly climbing the market share charts, something which Blackberry has learned over the last few years to only do in reverse.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1298...y?source=yahoo

Quote:
Z10: Zero Sold On Friday, But None Left On Sunday

This is bizarre.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
Like the US stock market shares lol.. No one is really buying but shares keep rising
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-25-2013, 06:52 AM
lurking

Quote:
Like the US stock market shares lol.. No one is really buying but shares keep rising
or so as it seems. could be like what porsche did with vw or rothschilds and the napoleonic war.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: German
Went to my local AT&T store yesterday to get a new SIM for my phone. They had the Z10. Guy said they sold about a handful of them all weekend and still had a pile out back. Not selling well at all for a "hyped" device.

T-Mobile is supposed to get it tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
After the 10.0.10.85 update, all issues that were being reported as negative have been addressed.

Battery life, low light camera pictures, GPS, and calendar importing have all been fixed. On top of that, there have been optimizations in the browser, and performance has been improved for 3rd party apps. Apps are being released daily with all the major ones either out already or will be in BlackBerry World soon. The ability of the OS to run Android apps has made the transition for programmers a lot easier. Those who don't want to start from scratch can work with BlackBerry to port over their existing apps and the experience is close to native apps in almost all cases.

WhatsApp is slated for a native app release next week. Skype and Instagram should be soon after. All stars seem to be in alignment for BBRY to have nothing to distract buyers in the short term.

On the Android front, the Galaxy S4 is being talked about, but problems with the 8 core processor abound. It is this writer's opinion that Samsung/HTC/Motorola are dependent on Google to make any major changes and they are forced to improve through hardware upgrades more than software. Who needs an 8 core processor? There is going to be increased power demands made with each step up in software which will require more memory, more cores, or a faster speed. This will ultimately lead to less battery life and at some point an overhaul of Android in order to keep pace.

Apple seems to be stuck. Ever since the passing of Steve Jobs, Apple has seemed to me to be unguided. When you think about it, what has Apple done lately? Retina is superficial, as are increases in camera resolution. More speed, more memory, different resolution, and new materials. That just doesn't seem to be innovation to me. That seems to be closer to evolution. Is it just me or does iOS just feel stale? It is such a controlled structure that has a bloated app environment. It has been reported by Adeven that more than 60% of the apps, or over 400,000, have never been downloaded. How many flashlights? 1899 at last count. Maybe some people will rate something on volume, but I tend to prefer clarity and accuracy over volume.

Outside of that, where does Apple lead? Surely not on interface as I find Android and BB10 to be significantly better. In my opinion, BB10 is head and shoulders above Android and if you take a day to learn how Flow works, you will never go back. Apple needs to get into new products, and my faith in them doing something major with their OS without causing a catastrophe is nonexistent. The latest upgrade caused havoc and they still show they know nothing about security in both home and business environments. I haven't heard of a major overhaul in the works so I doubt that a return to the $700 a share days are in the near future. Apple will now ride volume and marketing but the slide is coming in my eyes.

Those of us who have had some time with the Z10 are excited about US customers gaining access to the latest OS and seeing for themselves that BlackBerry has set a new bar that now transfers expectations to their competition. With nothing but faster/bigger/more memory on the horizon from the competition, I do think that BlackBerry has done the impossible and made themselves worthy of being respected. They have not only won me over, but my company, and gradually my customers. There is no better stamp of approval I can give.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1266...eady-a-success

Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Pretty damn great looking device... Period!

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Thank you!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
Thank you!
He actually said something without a link and copy/paste article
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 AM
lurking

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-C...glink125145-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/top-rated/w...zg_bs_tab_t_tr

Last edited by HW; 03-26-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Ones and Zeros

Quote:
Quote:
Told you!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Holy ****!!!! is AI must be improving

Just got the phone this morning. Wife checked it out when I got home from work. She thinks the timeshift feature is worth it in itself, especially having a 2 year old. So I got her one too.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00TS View Post
Holy ****!!!! is AI must be improving

Just got the phone this morning. Wife checked it out when I got home from work. She thinks the timeshift feature is worth it in itself, especially having a 2 year old. So I got her one too.
did you switch over to the new TMo uncarrier plans? What did the Z10 cost?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
did you switch over to the new TMo uncarrier plans? What did the Z10 cost?
So in the morning I bought the device outright. I did this because I currently have true unlimited data(unthrottled with hotspot and tethering) and did not want to change plans. This was $531 before tax. NOW, when the wife and I when to get her phone they asked if we wanted to change plans, I said no and said we would buy the phone. Right before I was going to swipe my card I asked if I could do the new payment plan. They said Yes! I was pretty pumped. $99 down(not including tax), 18/month for 24 months. It is just like a credit card, you can pay the minimum, the whole thing, or whatever amount you choose.

And yes, I really like the device and really think BB did a good job on it.
Closed Thread