Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
You don't to use an apple computer. iCloud does it automatically or iTunes does it (you have to check the option in sync options). It will even sync with your google account.
I prefer not to sync all my personal contacts and info with servers like Google and iCloud. The option to do so for some out there if they choose to do so is nice but should always remain an open option for end users and not a must. I prefer to sync my contacts with my computer and my computer only (not that of others online with a server).
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
BlackBerry vs. iPhone

• It has the BEST physical keyboard (PKB) available on a smartphone.

• AutoText / Word Substitution, it saves keystrokes, and it allows for a wide arrange of usages.

• LED & Sound profiles. Anyone who has owned a BlackBerry knows the additive nature of the LED.

• Email control! With BlackBerry one can delete emails "On Mailbox & Handheld" OR "On Handheld", This is such a little thing, but it means so much.

• Dialing phone numbers from websites/emails. Yes I know iPhone and Android can do that too, kinda. BlackBerry actually does it fully, if you see a link 555-555-5555 ext 555 BlackBerry will call 555-555-5555 pause then add 555 as the extension. iOS and Android just assume they read the number wrong and dial 555-555-5555 you are required to manually enter the extension, OR add said phone number to your address book for it to auto-dial, this little thing goes a long way in my business.

• Keyboard Short cuts. As a PKB user if you haven't taken the time to learn the Keyboard shortcuts available to you, keep returning to N4BB, there will be many Blog posts to help you maximize the usage of these powerful time savers.

• Swappable Batteries; Yes other manufacturers offer them too, and I would not really have considered this a feature if I didn't also have an iPhone, not having a swappable battery available makes me realize how important it is that BlackBerry chooses to be functional first.

• Data Compression! My BIS enabled BlackBerry with 6 email addresses including my work address and over 100 BBM contacts uses less data in 3 days when I travel than my iPhone does in a single day with only 1 email address. Paying $1/MB of data while traveling, BlackBerry has saved me money. BlackBerry does not require me to restrict my usage, I don't have to over pay for my data for fear my device will use too much.

• TrackPad. A single point for my thumb to rest and give me access to my entire screen, perfect fine detailed access for highlighting text, selecting items, going to action! You always are pressing the same location with your thumb, never making your screen smudgy or oily, never covering vital information as you reach your hand across the screen, the trackpad makes using a BlackBerry's smaller screen enjoyable. It maximizes the available real estate.

Of course this list wouldn't be complete without BBM. My social circle is comprised primarily of BlackBerry People. My best friends and family are all there at the tip of my finders in a wonderful little social network sharing pictures, voice notes, files, and videos. With BBM Music we can find and share music comment on each other's selections and have fun finding new music. BlackBerry Messenger is more than just an Instant messenger with delivered and read notifications.

BBM is a way to really feel like you're a part of each other's lives, creating groups and multi-user chats to plan things and be social, using status updates to let people know what you are feeling, or doing, and giving that little reminder to reach out and say hey.

It is all of these reasons, and many other small ones that can be taken for granted as to why I choose BlackBerry and I believe in RIM.

Blackberry devices definitely have a lot of great features but they definitely fell behind in features for international use. Google Maps,Google translate,copy/paste features on applications like Google Maps,Google Translate along with all the other popular chat applications like Whatsapp,Line,Viber and Tango made Blackberry lose market share to smartphones like the iPhone and Google based IOS smartphones.

As far as emails is concerned, any smartphone can receive emails. These days probably half the people that used emails for chatting/communicating vanished because of all the new chat applications out there. Those that receive emails are just work related now. I get emails just to receive a statement,bill or something of that nature but not for chatting really.

BBM was great for what it started out to be but quickly became old school when other chat applications like Whatsapp and Line came out.

I bought a new Bold 9900 when it came out. Was nice but I rarely used it. Sits in my drawer as a spare smartphone for use when traveling abroad and a spare phone is needed to receive local calls on local SIM card from destination departed from. Destination I am traveling to I just pop in a local SIM card with data to avoid roaming charges. While with Blackberry you either need to pay for roaming charges or set up another new BBM data account as you can not just pop in a new SIM card with a data plan and expect to use it with all BBM features. Half the BBM features then won't work while abroad. You had mentioned quite a few positive things about the BB smartphones but missed out on many of the negatives as well.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I prefer not to sync all my personal contacts and info with servers like Google and iCloud. The option to do so for some out there if they choose to do so is nice but should always remain an open option for end users and not a must. I prefer to sync my contacts with my computer and my computer only (not that of others online with a server).
I agree. I am starting to be uber annoyed at how Google FORCES you to share your private information with them and the rest of the world.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
BlackBerry 10

The BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) trend played a large role in eroding RIM's (RIMM) market share. The way in which RIM has addressed the BYOD trend with BB10 OS is exactly how they will win back market share.

Let's assume for a moment that RIM has addressed with BB10 all of the shortcomings that led to it's demise:
• Apps- Launching with over 150,0000- Check

• Web Browsing experience- BB10 Launches with the Best in Class web browser -- faster than most desktop PC's- Check

• Hardware- BB10 will launch with both a full touch and a Qwerty version. They have innovated with"flick" intuitive technology that will make this typing experience Best in Class- Check

• Innovation- There are several aspects of BB10 OS that are very innovative and create a whole new user experience--one that has the efficient Corporate world in mind while at the same time addressing the "hyper connected" younger crowd. Features like Flow, Peek and Hub along with the Time Warp camera are very innovative and were designed after giving much thought to what the world wants to see in a smartphone--and to where the world is going with smartphone computing. Check

BYOD Trend
The BYOD trend is definitely taking foot all over North America. IT managers crumbled to the demands of employees who wanted "cool" phones -- and they left RIM in droves. More security conscious firms and governments have remained but that to is becoming a risk.

When RIM was developing the BB10 OS they took a good hard look at this trend and in my mind have come up with the perfect answer.

Enter BlackBerry Balance
The BlackBerry Balance feature on the new BB10 has been reported on by several analysts and tech sites as a godsend from an IT security perspective as a solution to the BYOD trend.

I would agree that any corporate IT security would love these features on a phone:

• The ability to have (2) two separate profiles on a phone. One for work and one for personal.

• A separate app world for the work profile for IT managers to force down apps or have "pre-approved" apps available for down load.

• The ability for both profiles to be fully secured and encrypted.

• The ability to remotely wipe the Work profile without touching the personal side when an employee leaves the company.

• The built in security features which prevent an employee from copying work data into a personal file/email.

• The built in security features that prevent 3rd party apps downloaded on the personal profile from integrating with the work profile.

So, all fine and dandy if you are an IT/corporate manager looking for security in the BYOD rush -- but those aren't the only ones with a say in which phones get purchased. Some companies have a list of "approved" devices for BYOD to at least minimize the management headaches associated with multiple platforms. At the end of the day, it's the individual consumer who makes the BYOD purchase decision.
What does BB10 and Balance offer the "joe average" consumer?

• If an employee chooses a phone with BB10 OS they have a phone that has the same (if not better) "bells and whistles" that Google's (GOOG) and Apple's (AAPL) iOS currently offer.

• With BB10 they have a phone that can be used as a Work Tool but at the same time has all of the functionality of a "Play or Personal phone".

• With BB10 an employee has the built in functionality that allows them to "shut off" the work profile after hours or on weekends when they don't want to be bothered by the emails and texts associated with a "Work Phone" or they can choose to have the "Unified" inbox to keep abreast of both personal and work communications --the flexibility is unlimited.

• Most importantly, by choosing a BB10 phone with the Blackberry Balance feature an employee can be secure in the knowledge that their personal profile is free from the prying eyes of their employer. They do not have to be concerned with what apps they have downloaded, what web sites they visit or what they say when sending an email or a text.

It's a win / win and a very "balanced" approach to the BYOD trend. Companies get the security they so covet and employees get the same security and "personal space" that is currently lacking in the BYOD trend.

The analysts and bloggers have always tended to look at the Balance feature from just the corporate view, however, I think we are missing the point if we don't look at it from the consumer/employee side.

Personal privacy can and will play a big role in consumer decisions for which smartphone to chose in the context of a BYOD purchase.

That option was never part of the decision making process in the past because that feature did not exist in a competitive smartphone.

With BB10 that option is now available and no other OS (Android/Windows or iOS) has that ability -- it simply cannot be done with their current architecture/OS.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1043...the-byod-trend

Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Lots of "assumptions" in this post, but this one takes the cake.

Quote:
• If an employee chooses a phone with BB10 OS they have a phone that has the same (if not better) "bells and whistles" that Google's (GOOG) and Apple's (AAPL) iOS currently offer.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 PM

BlackBerry 10 Technical Preview Program Gives Selected Customers Opportunity to Beta Test New Platform

Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM) announced the BlackBerry® 10 Technical Preview program, giving selected enterprise and government customers the opportunity to begin beta testing with BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 and pre-production BlackBerry® 10 smartphones. The "by invitation" program starts today, with more than 120 select customers enrolled that span a variety of industries including financial, government, insurance, healthcare, manufacturing, media, and distribution. The mix includes 64 Fortune 500 companies.

The technical preview program will give organizations early access to RIM's new enterprise mobility management solution, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, along with a limited number of pre-production BlackBerry 10 smartphones for testing within their environment.

"Beginning today, RIM will be visiting some of our enterprise and government 'early adopters' and getting them started with the BlackBerry 10 platform," said Robin Bienfait, Chief Information Officer, Research In Motion. "At RIM, we've seen the power of our new enterprise mobility management solution first-hand, and we are thrilled to share BlackBerry 10 directly with these leading organizations."

"We've been anxiously waiting to put our hands on BlackBerry 10, and the time has come," said John R. Delano, CIO, Integris Health. "BlackBerry has been a trusted partner for many years, and we're excited to see what the next generation of BlackBerry solutions offer. We know we can rely on the security and manageability that BlackBerry offers, and we're looking forward to adding fun to the list of benefits."

Customers will have first-hand experience with features such as BlackBerry® BalanceTM, the BlackBerry® Hub, the ability to seamlessly flow between core applications, the dedicated enterprise app store and the BlackBerry 10 platform's secure connectivity to behind the firewall applications and data through BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.

"Getting devices early into the hands of its best and largest enterprise customers confirms the confidence RIM has in its new BlackBerry 10 platform and is an important step leading-up to its launch," said Kevin Burden, Director of Mobility at Strategy Analytics. "Beyond reinforcing its commitment to those loyal to the BlackBerry platform's future, the program stands to deliver valuable real-world feedback from multiple industries before RIM takes the platform live."

Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM

BlackBerry vs. Android & Apple

"As for growing service revenue - I know when the time comes to pay for my coffee with my phone it won't be an Android because I currently own one and know how easy it is to compromise. Try rooting a BB10.

And it won't be Apple because they missed the boat with NFC. There is also the problem of Apple continuously being hacked, as in jailbroken.

BB10 doesn't have these problems and the carriers and the banks like this – a lot. Security will be the source of that growing service revenue."

BlackBerry 10 beats Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android)

Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 AM

Will be interesting to see how Google Maps will work on the new BB10 OS. This was one thing that hurt Apple and could hurt BB as well.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:

"As for growing service revenue - I know when the time comes to pay for my coffee with my phone it won't be an Android because I currently own one and know how easy it is to compromise. Try rooting a BB10.

And it won't be Apple because they missed the boat with NFC. There is also the problem of Apple continuously being hacked, as in jailbroken.
Since one must choose to willfully root or jailbreak their phone, I have to assume that the above statement was written by someone completely clueless of technology.

It's not like walking around your phone suddenly gets rooted or jailbroken . . .
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Since one must choose to willfully root or jailbreak their phone, I have to assume that the above statement was written by someone completely clueless of technology.

It's not like walking around your phone suddenly gets rooted or jailbroken . . .
It would seem every article MCSL has quoted was written by someone who is clueless...

2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Living a dream!

Quote:

You won't be using your Blackberry NFC at Starbucks then ....

http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/s...gains-momentum
Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 PM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post

in the long term, nfc is the way to go. qr codes take longer to process. this is not to say that qr codes don't a have a place in all this as well.

going to buy some of these nfc stickers and stick them all over the place and program them to do various things around the house and car.

Last edited by HW; 12-22-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM
lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post

i can't imagine having a special "app" for every store or vendor that i go to. that would be ridiculous and a huge clutter in memory space, and screen display space.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Living a dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
i can't imagine having a special "app" for every store or vendor that i go to. that would be ridiculous and a huge clutter in memory space, and screen display space.
Passbook aggregates them all in a single app
Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 PM

BlackBerry vs. Apple

Overpriced is an Understatement
For the price of an iPad Mini ($329), you could buy two BlackBerry PlayBooks. Considering that the iPad Mini actually comes with average hardware this price difference appears even more ridiculous.

The iPad Mini’s specs are comparable to the BlackBerry PlayBook in most areas. In the areas that the two differ, the PlayBook actually has better specs (1GB RAM versus 512MB RAM for example). At only $149, the PlayBook is a far more attractive option than the iPad Mini, since buyers can save $180 (and get a free upgrade to BB 10).

Lightning Accessories Will Burn a Hole in Your Wallet
Buying an Apple product means being forced to buy expensive, proprietary accessories. The new Lightning connector on the iPad Mini means all previously-purchased accessories will not work (unless a $29 adaptor is purchased). In addition, Lightning accessories are more expensive than the previous 30-Pin ones, making this a bad time to purchase Apple products.

For example, the Lightning-to-HDMI and Lightning-to-VGA cables cost $49, which are more expensive than the 30-Pin predecessors, which were $39 and $29, respectively. This represents a 26% and 69% increase in price, respectively.

Outdated Hardware
The iPad Mini has a high-end price, but it has low-end hardware. Its 1GHz dual-core CPU and 512MB of RAM are its most glaring weaknesses. It’s 1024X768 screen is another area where it is behind the competition. The iPad Mini’s low-resolution screen does not allow you to watch HD videos.

The iPad Mini has specs that are comparable to the BlackBerry PlayBook in most areas. The PlayBook actually has better hardware (camera and RAM) in areas that the two tablets differ, and provides a saving of $180.

Conclusion
Apple is charging a high-end price for the iPad Mini, but you receive a low-end product in return. We simply cannot see any reason to pay an extra $180 to choose the iPad Mini, when its features lack in comparison to the PlayBook.

Apple is clearly “dumbing-down” the specs on the iPad Mini, so that the incremental improvements in next year’s model will make this version seem ancient. Thus, users will be “forced” to upgrade.

http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2012...the-ipad-mini/

Old 12-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Research In Motion's tablet saw a surprising jump in shipments in the fiscal third quarter, with the company sending out 255,000 units in the period. In the last quarter it shipped 130,000, only slightly less than the 150,000 it shipped a year ago.

So what gives? Chief Financial Officer Brian Bidulka said during an investor conference call today that there was strong "promotional activity" in North America, with RIM seeing some success with the Wi-Fi and 4G versions of the PlayBook in North America and Europe. RIM keep updating the software, finally filling in key missing features and enhancing its capabilities.

CEO Thorsten Heins reiterated what COO Kristian Tear told CNET last month, and said that the carriers would offer their full marketing support for BlackBerry 10. "They are absolutely ready and committed to spending marketing dollars," he said.

“Ever tried out the BlackBerry PlayBook? It's not the same as it was when it was launched a year ago. OS version 2.1 has many sites re-doing their review of this device. So I bought one (32GB). Easy software right off their app store that easily brings across your iTunes music. Free software safe from download.com to import your movies off DVD/BluRay. All the current top games. Integration with google calendar. A super-crisp display. What a freaking deal for that amount of money compared to other tablets. I love it! I originally figured "for $114 even if it only kinda does stuff, it's still a fun way to surf the net and maybe a few other things". But man-o-man, it has way surpassed my expectations!”

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-575...ng-a-comeback/

Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Shares of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion plunged 23% Friday, after the company reported plummeting quarterly sales.

The Waterloo, Ontario, company said it shipped just 6.9 million BlackBerry phones over the past three months, down from 7.4 million a year earlier. Research in Motion (RIMM) said it had 79 million subscribers last quarter, compared to 80 million in the prior quarter, and it shipped only 255,000 PlayBook tablets -- still paltry, but twice the number it shipped a year ago.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/21/tech...arnings-stock/

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 12-24-2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
The BB10 really looks nice, but I heard that BB plan are not and a little on the expensive side. So I guess I'd stick with the iPhone. Had been using the iPhone for a while, it's pretty easy to navigate all the apps which I don't have much in mine. Just 17 to be exact. No need to put all the junks I don't need or use in.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: German
BB10 offers NOTHING that a good android theme can't provide, and it's going to further alienate and confuse their existing user base... which aren't as tech savvy as they believe they are, how can they be, they're still on BlackBerry.

Plus, why are they repeating mistakes, there still is going to be two different screen sizes to accommodate a physical keyboard and touch screen. Won't that annoy the developers again? Confuse customers who can get apps on one BB model but not another, and both were released in the same year.

RIM's finished. They're not looking at all the problems and think this will solve everything that's going wrong up until now. This BB10 solution would have been ideal in 2009/2010.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 AM
lurking

Quote:
Plus, why are they repeating mistakes, there still is going to be two different screen sizes to accommodate a physical keyboard and touch screen. Won't that annoy the developers again? Confuse customers who can get apps on one BB model but not another, and both were released in the same year.
there's a lot of new resolutions from the apple and android camps. it's something that developers are going to have to deal with instead of whine about.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
there's a lot of new resolutions from the apple and android camps. it's something that developers are going to have to deal with instead of whine about.
That's a valid point you have, but we're also forgetting that both iOS and Android have huge fanbases and they will sell no matter what. Devs have to cater to them.

RIM is another story. They have been loosing marketshare quarter after quarter. They have to appease devs to make apps for them. They aren't going to do that by making it complicated for them.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
lurking

Quote:
That's a valid point you have, but we're also forgetting that both iOS and Android have huge fanbases and they will sell no matter what. Devs have to cater to them.

RIM is another story. They have been loosing marketshare quarter after quarter. They have to appease devs to make apps for them. They aren't going to do that by making it complicated for them.
it helps that bb10 runs android apps as part of the OS but someone has also gotten it to run iOS apps.

http://crackberry.com/developer-gets...lackberry-real

at some point in the future, iOS users may demand that iOS run android apps and android users may demand android to run iOS apps.

Last edited by HW; 12-26-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM
lurking

Quote:
BB10 offers NOTHING that a good android theme can't provide, and it's going to further alienate and confuse their existing user base... which aren't as tech savvy as they believe they are, how can they be, they're still on BlackBerry.

RIM's finished. They're not looking at all the problems and think this will solve everything that's going wrong up until now. This BB10 solution would have been ideal in 2009/2010.

you sound pretty knowledgeable in the area. are you a developer? tech analyst? in IT?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
it helps that bb10 runs android apps as part of the OS but someone has also gotten it to run iOS apps.

http://crackberry.com/developer-gets...lackberry-real
This is pretty slick. I know that the PlayBook was able to run Android apps after a software update

Quote:
at some point in the future, iOS users may demand that iOS run android apps and android users may demand android to run iOS apps.
Most devs already have identical apps for both platforms already.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
you sound pretty knowledgeable in the area. are you a developer? tech analyst? in IT?
Just a bitter prior BB user I've pretty owned every OS out there and nothing is as terrible as a Blackberry

Not in IT, but am pretty immersed in tech.

I have the SDKs for iOS and Android on my computer to mess around. I know a good amount of people who develop for iOS and Android, so it's pretty interesting to hear things from their perspective. It seems the new OS to jump on these days is WP8, not BBOS.
Closed Thread