Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i
BlackBerry 10

From what we have seen so far in terms of what BB10 has to offer it is very apparent that RIM took the time to analyze it's core strengths and weaknesses. In BB10 they have tried to improve on the strengths that made them all the rage in the past (reliable and secure workhorse of a business tool) and transfer those same strengths and attention to detail to the Consumer side. Below I will attempt to showcase the areas where I feel that RIM "got it right" and why an investment in RIM at this time can pay off in a big reward down the road.

UI/User Interface

In December 2010 RIM purchased a company called TAT-The Astonishing Tribe. This company is a group of designers and "visual artists" who design "astonishing" user interfaces. TAT was immediately tasked with designing the UI for BB10 and by all accounts they have hit a homerun.

The Hardware

• Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8960

• 4.2", 1280x768 (355 ppi) screen with 24-bit colors and a 15:9 aspect ratio.

• A front-facing 2MP lens will offer users a 2x digital zoom and 720p video recording – useful for video calls and the odd vanity check, while round the back the Z10 is equipped with an 8MP snapper with single LED flash, auto focus, 1080p video recording and 5x digital zoom.

• 2 GB RAM, 16/32 GB internal storage, microSD card slot.

• Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0 LE, micro-USB, micro-HDMI.

• GPS with A-GPS.

• Sensors: Ambient light, Accelerometer, Magnetometer, Gyroscope, Face Detect for phone calls.

• 1800 mAh removable battery.

These hardware specs put BB10 at minimum on par with the best phones on the market, however when optimized with the BB10 OS they make for super fast, fluid and best in class phone. The screen size is slightly larger than the iPhone 5 but smaller than the "Phablet" style of the Galaxy series offerings.

Screen resolution is Best in Class. The 8MP camera with autofocus puts it ahead of both Android and iPhone5. All in all it is a heavyweight class phone.

The OS

The BB10 OS is where it all comes together.

The Peek, Flow and Hub experience of the BB10 OS allow users to be "always on". Gone are the days of moving in and out of apps. Peek allows you to take a "peek" at your BB HUB where all of your messages (email, texts, social media notifiers etc) are all available in one place with the added benefit of responding without having to open a specific app like Facebook or Twitter. This is a huge time saver, one that applies not only to the busy business owner but to everyone in the hyper connected day and age.

BlackBerry has always been strong in terms of the keyboard functionality. With BB10 RIM focused heavily on making the touchscreen keyboard as efficient and user friendly as possible. The keyboard features "Flick" technology. The keyboard also allows users to type in multiple languages, making full use of the intuitive features without having to move in and out of language settings. I for one have always been a qwerty fan (and RIM offers a BB10 qwerty version) however the simplicity and speed in which the new FLICK technology offers on the touchscreen makes me think I'll go full touch rather than qwerty.

The Web Browsing experience on BB10 is Best in Class. BB10 has received the highest test score for any device surfing the web whether it be a smartphone, tablet or even a desktop PC! Simply amazing. The added bonus is that BB10 web browser is flash enabled, meaning that all web pages are fully rendered. RIM got it right here!

BlackBerry Balance is another feature that appeals to IT managers as well as the BYOD crowd. It allows for (2) separate profiles on the same phone. Fully securing a company's data on the work profile and keeping the prying eyes of your boss out of your personal data. It is a unique concept that can only be achieved with the BB10 OS architecture.

The Time Shift Camera feature shows that RIM considered the Consumer side. Aside from a well built 8MP camera in the hardware, the Time Shift feature takes a few snippets of video before and after each picture. In the case of a group photo where everyone looks great except grandpa with his eyes closed the user can simply tap on grandpa's face in the image and "shift in time" before or after until they find a spot where he looks better and then tap again to adjust, making for a perfect picture every time.

RIM still holds a solid edge in terms of overall device and data security vs the competition. Legions of customers fled the BlackBerry platform in search of the better social media and overall user experience that Apple and Android offered. In BB10 RIM has sharpened the core strengths it has always had and addressed the issues that had frustrated fans in the past. They now have a device that is a killer business tool while at the same time can compete with the likes of Android and Apple from an overall "fun" aspect.

HTML5 vs Apps

One last perspective I'd like to throw out there is the hot debate raging between the HTML5 crowd and Apps in general. Web Apps vs native Apps is the war that is being waged and it is hard to say which will win out. The argument says that HTML5 allows for cross platform web development apps and can bypass the traditional "App Store" download model. They will drive revenue from ads etc rather than purchase price like the current native app model. With a fully flash enabled web browser the web app side is fully available on BB10.

RIM has decidedly covered themselves in both arenas by being HTML5 friendly as well as making a major push to get the apps its needs. BB10 will launch with somewhere between 70k and 150k apps available. Couple this with the fact they recently signed a deal with Appcelerator's 300k strong App development community and I think RIM has finally addressed the whole "lack of apps" issue and has positioned themselves to be ready for whatever direction the market takes going forward.

The Investment

RIM has definitely been a controversial stock play. Running from the lows of 6.22 and reaching a recent peak of 15.50 in after hours trading on Dec 21 2012. Currently trading in the 11.95-12.00 range RIM ,in my opinion, is still a bargain. The Jan 30 2013 launch date for BB10 is fast approaching and we should begin to see the hype machine roll out in full force. RIM has a current user base of 80 million subscribers that they are launching BB10 into. This gives them a leg up on a platform like Windows8 which has to fight and steal for every new subscriber. Initially selling into the Enterprise base is the right strategy as it will get millions of phones out into the public right out of the gate.

RIM recently set up 150 large Enterprise users with BB10 test phones so that they can become the early adaptors of the platform. These initial sales will stabilize RIM as a business and then they can focus on marketing the platform to the consumer side. With a new management team at the helm, a new OS and a market that is due for some "disruption", RIM is positioned for some growth, both short term and long term.

http://beta.fool.com/magnaman1969/20...-winner/21170/

BlackBerry 10 beats Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (Samsung Galaxy S3)

Last edited by MCSL; 01-16-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 PM

BB10

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 PM

BB10

Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSL View Post
BB10

I want to see the camera in action. I heard it pretty awful next to iphone and Nokia phones.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330soon2b View Post
I want to see the camera in action. I heard it pretty awful next to iphone and Nokia phones.
I don't think you will get a reply from him lol.. Only copy/paste lol..
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-17-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I don't think you will get a reply from him lol.. Only copy/paste lol..
He will copy and paste a promotional photo of the camera in action.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
Even if RIM got it right this time it took so long it is too late. I was a diehard BB fan and hung on until last month. I have had BB since 2003..... a full decade I had BB devices. I now have an iphone5 and it is a great device. If I knew what I was missing I would have left BB a long time ago. Even if the BB10 is great I will not switch back. Getting back lost customers is harder than keeping them and I think RIM is doomed in the US.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Even if RIM got it right this time it took so long it is too late. I was a diehard BB fan and hung on until last month. I have had BB since 2003..... a full decade I had BB devices. I now have an iphone5 and it is a great device. If I knew what I was missing I would have left BB a long time ago. Even if the BB10 is great I will not switch back. Getting back lost customers is harder than keeping them and I think RIM is doomed in the US.
The new iPhone 5 is definitely a big step forward from the older Blackberry devices. Those with old are always happy with new devices. Like I had said, I had bought the new BB Bold 9800 but I only played with it a few times and since them it sat in my drawer lol.. It is pretty old school compared to the newer devices out there but I do know that here in Asia and in the Middle East they are always looking for something new so those sick of Google devices and iPhone devices may like this new OS from Blackberry as to them this may be something new and different.

If Blackberry does not have all these privacy invasions like they now do on pretty much 90%+ of all the applications on Google's Play Store then I think this new OS with new smartphone may do well.

I think the Asian market these days is bigger than the US market so let's see.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
Funny, Forbe Magazine was predicting who would fail in this year. BB was one of them, Sears was one of them too, so is Blockbuster Video, are all going south in earning.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkw View Post
Funny, Forbe Magazine was predicting who would fail in this year. BB was one of them, Sears was one of them too, so is Blockbuster Video, are all going south in earning.
No doubt that 4th quarter earnings from 2012 for RIMM is going to be quite bad. If I am not mistsken this is probably why they are reporting in March and not now lol.. Probably want to report the bad news after the good news so the bad news does take the stock to $0 lol.. Stock was at $7+ just recently. Imagine reporting bad earnings from there.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Bimmer App
330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-17-2013, 11:21 PM

BB10

Old 01-17-2013, 11:22 PM

BB10 Flow

Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 PM

BB10 Hub

Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
We really liked the ability to drag the auto focus points on the BB 10 camera, from one object to the next. This could solve a problem that photographers consistently have, in which the camera does not focus on the object that they want it to (and focuses on another object instead).

The BB 10 camera also allows the user to select from 5 different Scenes (modes) including Auto, Action, Whiteboard, Night and Beach or Snow. This is something not available on the iPhone 5, and makes the BB 10 camera feel like a full-featured point-and-shoot.

In terms of the video camera, you can pinch-to-zoom on the BB 10, but not on Apple’s iPhone 5. The BB 10 video camera also offers 3 Scenes (modes) including Auto, Night and Beach or Snow. When the BB 10 video camera is recording, a light button appears in the corner, allowing you to conveniently turn the video light on or off.

We did not demo the the most appealing feature on the BB 10 camera, which is TimeShift.

http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2013...mera-showdown/

BB10 beats Apple iPhone 5

Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 PM

Before the official launch of BlackBerry 10 on January 30th, a select few will get to enjoy a catered breakfast or evening cocktails while learning more about what "The New BlackBerry" has to offer enterprise customers. It will be going down on January 24th at a top-secret location in New York.

http://business.t-mobile.com/

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/01/1...-and-t-mobile/

Last edited by MCSL; 01-17-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
We really liked the ability to drag the auto focus points on the BB 10 camera, from one object to the next. This could solve a problem that photographers consistently have, in which the camera does not focus on the object that they want it to (and focuses on another object instead).

The BB 10 camera also allows the user to select from 5 different Scenes (modes) including Auto, Action, Whiteboard, Night and Beach or Snow. This is something not available on the iPhone 5, and makes the BB 10 camera feel like a full-featured point-and-shoot.

In terms of the video camera, you can pinch-to-zoom on the BB 10, but not on Apple’s iPhone 5. The BB 10 video camera also offers 3 Scenes (modes) including Auto, Night and Beach or Snow. When the BB 10 video camera is recording, a light button appears in the corner, allowing you to conveniently turn the video light on or off.

We did not demo the the most appealing feature on the BB 10 camera, which is TimeShift.

http://www.thegadgetmasters.com/2013...mera-showdown/

BB10 beats Apple iPhone 5

That explains scene options and other options but does not explain image quality which is what I believe he was referring to. Hopefully it won't come with a poor image sensor and lense. Software part is not all that difficult after.

330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
That explains scene options and other options but does not explain image quality which is what I believe he was referring to. Hopefully it won't come with a poor image sensor and lense. Software part is not all that difficult after.

Bingo!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Before the official launch of BlackBerry 10 on January 30th, a select few will get to enjoy a catered breakfast or evening cocktails while learning more about what "The New BlackBerry" has to offer enterprise customers. It will be going down on January 24th at a top-secret location in New York.

http://business.t-mobile.com/

http://www.berryreview.com/2013/01/1...-and-t-mobile/

Are they serving crow at this event?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Are they serving crow at this event?
One thing for sure is that over this last month RIMM stock shares are in bull mode and remain very bullish for the time being.

If market crashes then all bets are off and everything is then bearish

330 Coupe Sold
Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 PM

BB10 Remember

Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 PM

BB10 Keyboard

Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 PM