Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertech777 View Post
+1 Roberto , I totally agree

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
!!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
!!

Hahahahahahahahauaha that's some funny stuff !!!!!!! I had to hijack that and sent it to my daughter in college LOL

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 10-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 530i, 1977 320i
I'm going off my experience with owning and driving the 5 series ever the last 20 years, ever since I had a 1980 528i, with a brief interlude while I drove a 325is, and my experience is that here's what happens when you spend $1000 in anticipatory repairs:

Within a week after getting your car in tip top shape, you will blow a headgasket. :o)

I am not talking about routine maintenance, which I agree at some point around 75,000k, I think you could put things like the fuel pump, water pump, fuel filter in the category of routine maintenance. I'm really not an expert but I've had no problem just taking care of things as they arise with these cars. Anyway, the truth always lies somewhere in between and a healthy discourse is good on this stuff, where experiences differ so I don't mean to demean anybody else's input but only offer my own experience.

And when in doubt, clean off the oxygen sensor ...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelwindows View Post
I'm going off my experience with owning and driving the 5 series ever the last 20 years, ever since I had a 1980 528i, with a brief interlude while I drove a 325is, and my experience is that here's what happens when you spend $1000 in anticipatory repairs:

Within a week after getting your car in tip top shape, you will blow a headgasket. :o)

I am not talking about routine maintenance, which I agree at some point around 75,000k, I think you could put things like the fuel pump, water pump, fuel filter in the category of routine maintenance. I'm really not an expert but I've had no problem just taking care of things as they arise with these cars. Anyway, the truth always lies somewhere in between and a healthy discourse is good on this stuff, where experiences differ so I don't mean to demean anybody else's input but only offer my own experience.

At least you acknowledge that the marketplace of ideas need not be a battlefield.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelwindows View Post

That is very diplomatic and politically correct. Fact is, it doesn't always fall in the middle somewhere. Sometimes people are just plain wrong, scientificly, factually wrong. I fail to see why people want to stray from the facts in order to make other feel good. What a bunch of BS
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 10-27-2012, 09:38 AM
New to S5X Tinkering

Mein Auto: 1995 e34 S52b32/5
I'm shocked the conversation has continued after the OP stated the car was found to have a BHG and warped head.
I understand everyone's point.
Personally I feel the sameway as snowsled.
"If you have a pimple on your nose. You don't cut off your nose to get rid of it. You pop the pimple."
Meaning if my car had an issue. I'd repair the issue not overhaul the entire system unless deemed absolutely necessary.

Bobby is right as well. You have to anticipate spending some coin on these cars once you buy one.
But that should usually be within your spectrum of mechanical experience.
Meaning never buy e34 or any vehicle with out taking into consideration what you have to put in it money wise, time, and you mechanical ability to get it right.

That said back on subject.

BHG and warped head?!?
Err the m30 head is pretty tough. I can see maybe a BHG.
But the head being warped?!? Second opinion time.
I'd search the forum especially in the regional areas for recommended BMW specific shops in your area.

Well if you decide to repair it good luck.
m30b35 heads are relatively cheap.
If you decide to part out or sell.
I'm sure you'll get the support you need here to get it all squared away.

Last edited by MySatinDoll; 10-27-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:01 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
I suspect the mechanic tossed out the warped head diagnosis to ensure it was understood that a resurface is mandatory for a good repair. The block deck needs to be checked for flatness, as does the head. I would be surprised to see a head that had a gasket failure, especially on an inline six, not show some surface irregularities.

It is a pretty easy fix. As mentioned parts are plentiful and inexpensive. I have seen several running motors in the $400-600 range recently. Depends on the condition of the rest of the car though, and the current owners lack of desire to make repairs I guess
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5