Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Bmwlvr60 Bmwlvr60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,179
Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Adaptive Drive versus Dynamic Control

Anyone buy a 535 instead of a 528 primarily because you wanted Adaptive Drive and not just Dynamic Damper Control? Does it make that much a difference in your "fun to drive" experience? The website doesn't even call it a Dynamic Handling Package option when building a 528.
__________________
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I have no idea what the difference is between adaptive drive and dynamic damper control. BMW uses these terms and they don't mean ****.

The basics to know are:

Does it have a mode switch (not applicable to all models, as they all do now but didn't used to).
Does it have active dampers or not?
Does it have active anti-roll bars or not?

I believe with the 528, you can only get active dampers and not active anti roll bars, hence no Dynamic Handling Package for the 528. I could be wrong on this but don't think so.
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 AM
WildcatJon WildcatJon is offline
Registered User
Location: Cincinnati
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535xi m sport
Basic difference is you get dampers only with DDC. With Dynamic Handing Package you get DDC AND the anti-roll bars. These features are a must have IMO to keep your F10 from driving like a 1980 Lincoln Continental. The only other acceptable option on this car is M Sport passive suspension but you can't get that with xdrive. All other suspension options are Lexus-ish.
__________________
2013 535xi M-Sport, Space Gray, Dark Wood, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Black Nappa, Premium, Tech, Driver's Asst, Cold Weather, Premium Hi-Fi and Multi Contour Seats.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Bmwlvr60 Bmwlvr60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,179
Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJon View Post
Basic difference is you get dampers only with DDC. With Dynamic Handing Package you get DDC AND the anti-roll bars. These features are a must have IMO to keep your F10 from driving like a 1980 Lincoln Continental. The only other acceptable option on this car is M Sport passive suspension but you can't get that with xdrive. All other suspension options are Lexus-ish.
I realize that this topic is covered over and over again. My apologies to the enthusiasts that are tired of all the questions. I knew the first part of your answer, but not the second part. Thanks so much.

With my X3 it was very straight forward- DHP or no DHP. All X3's have XDrive.

With the 5 Series there's DHP light- DDC only without anti-roll bars- at least for 2013. There's DHP in the 535 which includes both features. And now I just found out that M Sport passive suspension only comes with non-xDrive models.

BMW does a terrible job explaining this in it's marketing.
__________________
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 06-02-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2013, 05:31 PM
ErnestHouse's Avatar
ErnestHouse ErnestHouse is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 695
Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
....With the 5 Series there's DHP light- DDC only without anti-roll bars- at least for 2013. There's DHP in the 535 which includes both features. And now I just found out that M Sport passive suspension only comes with non-xDrive models. ...
Just to sharpen your understanding a bit more, a car without DDC or DHP uses standard suspension components tuned at the factory. DDC adds "Magneride" dampers and a controller at each wheel that senses what's going on in that wheel and dynamically retunes that wheel's suspension. I believe in the case of detecting a pothole, it will transmit that to the rear wheel in time for it to react.

In addition to ARS in DHP, DHP adds the ability to retune the suspension as a whole via each wheel's DDC components to correspond with Comfort, Normal and Sport setting of the Dynamic Driving Control (next to shifter) thus adding the chassis to the steering and tranny aspects of those modes. This effectively broadens the performance envelope beyond that of a pretuned at the factory or DDC model. It all clicked for me when I saw the attached graphic from the suspension engineer that implemented what Range Rover calls "Adaptive Dynamics" on the Evoque.

Here is BMW's definition of DDC:
"Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac with Dynamic Damping Control there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style.
The perfect damping setting is what engineers are in search of on the test tracks. What they find is usually a compromise. However, with Dynamic Damping Control the BMW 5 Series Sedan provides a suitable setting for every surface without you having to intervene.

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evoque magneride_.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	379913  

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 06-02-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Bmwlvr60 Bmwlvr60 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,179
Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Just to sharpen your understanding a bit more, a car without DDC or DHP uses standard suspension components tuned at the factory. DDC adds "Magneride" dampers and a controller at each wheel that senses what's going on in that wheel and dynamically retunes that wheel's suspension. I believe in the case of detecting a pothole, it will transmit that to the rear wheel in time for it to react.

In addition to ARS in DHP, DHP adds the ability to retune the suspension as a whole via each wheel's DDC components to correspond with Comfort, Normal and Sport setting of the Dynamic Driving Control (next to shifter) thus adding the chassis to the steering and tranny aspects of those modes. This effectively broadens the performance envelope beyond that of a pretuned at the factory or DDC model. It all clicked for me when I saw the attached graphic from the suspension engineer that implemented what Range Rover calls "Adaptive Dynamics" on the Evoque.

Here is BMW's definition of DDC:
"Uneven roads, potholes, cobblestones or flawless tarmac with Dynamic Damping Control there is now a chassis for every road and every driving style.
The perfect damping setting is what engineers are in search of on the test tracks. What they find is usually a compromise. However, with Dynamic Damping Control the BMW 5 Series Sedan provides a suitable setting for every surface without you having to intervene.

A control unit on each wheel evaluates movements four hundred times a second and adjusts the shock absorbers accordingly. The electronics system works so fast that when the front wheels encounter a pothole, information is sent to the rear wheels so that sufficient cushioning is in place. The rebound and compression damping are continually and independently set to end the need for compromise which means that the dampers adapt to the state of the road irrespective of which Dynamic Driving Control mode is selected, for exceptional ride comfort even when driving hard on bumpy surfaces."
This is very informative, thanks much!
__________________
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms