Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: R1150R+
X3 Tire Solutions???

Again, I'm a newbie here-see my recent posting about my interest in buying a new X3 car. In that post I provide the details of my experience with runflats on another BMW sedan. Read that comment to see where I'm coming from, then come back with your thoughts please. I don't like those type tires & I don't like not having a jack nor lug wrench in my car at all times. I don't need the tire hanger thing to place my tires on the wheel either. Though it might be good for "non wrench pullers" to deal with hub centric wheel placement or small persons,aged,etc..
What have others done(in a creative way) toward a -spare tire,jack,wrench- w/o having too much intrusion on the luggage space?
Thanks for your ideas.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i Msport AW
My winter set is non-RFT. I have a Viair portable 12v compressor and two 20z cans of Slime Quick Spair in the rear storage area. They take up very little room and, unlike most tire sealants, are TPMS safe.

Also, AAA membership and a repair kit for long trips. Roadside flat repair is not one of my favorite ways to spend time but it sure beats sitting in northern Minnesota for two days waiting for a RFT to get shipped.

btw, there is plenty of room in the storage area under the rear deck for a small jack, breaker bar, etc. I don't carry them because I don't carry a spare.

Last edited by Tipsy McStagger; 11-01-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 AM

FWIW, I'll say that in the case of my run flat experience-IF! I had a jack I would have been able to jack the car & see & pull out the screwdriver & been on my way home w/o calling my BIL or whomever. I see a jack as a way to get under the car when needed.
Reminds me of the time we were on a family vacation(we had twins & thus three kids under 3 yrs old!) and we had the clutch slave cyl go out a few miles from a Toyota dealer. I limped into their lot,jacked the car up in the dealers lot, placed wheels under it for safety & installed the cyl with borrowed tools. Point being that if you wrench, a jack can be essential.
Yes, I'm thinking some slime & a pump at the least. I carry a pump on my bike too with the plugger kit. The Wally world plugs work fine to get home(make sure you don't have a crappy/flimsy insertion tool) but I have a "Stop-n-go" kit on my bike.
On my 2008 BMW car the spare spot was full of gizmos to make the car go zoom.

Last edited by kantuckid; 11-01-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Withdrawn and replaced. See below

Last edited by leighton; 11-01-2012 at 09:33 AM. Reason: incomplete and replaced below
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 AM

I had Bridgestones OEM on 2008 328xi sedan
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
From the time that BMW begain to offer RFT, I have either specified them as an option or accepted them as standard equipment, always with the BMW tire and wheel insurance that has always paid off until the currrent group of three X3 35is. In the year of operating with one set of Pirelli 18" P7s and two sets of Goodyear 19" LS2s, we have incurred no tire or wheel damage despite very bad local roads. RFT technology is much improved even since your 2008 purchase. Three months ago, one set of LS2s with their style 309 wheels was diverted to winter-only use in favor of Continental 5P 255/35-19 SSR 3-season RFT on ASA 9.5" wheels from Tire Rack. That was the best tested ultra high performance RFT that I could find in the closest size at a sacrifice of both some load capacity headroom and about 89 RPM increase for the smaller overall diameter. Three other UHP 3-season RFT candidates matching the LS2 size are available but did not test nearly so well as the 5Ps whose performance has magnificently improved the X3 handling but shortly it will be tme to revert to the LS2s for the winter. If I had been willing to abandon RFT then I probably would have chosen Continental DWS as all-season or Michelin Pilot Super Sport as 3-season that were the replacement for the worn standard equipment Pilot Sport plus goop kit set on the 2001 M5 sold earlier this year.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 AM

The PCD program states that you get a random brand of RFT tires as they come off assy line, thus choice would have to be the dealers willingness to jerk them back & forth. I have no idea if the latest RFT's are any better as I put them on my "least wanted list" from bad experience & don't need them on current cars. I will say that both my vehicles Michelins are super tires -diff model of course on PU than car. There's just not much to like about the helplessness the RFT tires provide to a driver in the boonies & in the urban areas I still don't want to be at the mercy of calling somebody vs a quick wheel change & on my way! Hard to improve on being self sufficient on the road when it comes to tires. The handling would have to improve bunches to change my mind .