Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster, 2010 M5
Thumbs down 2010 X5D 50,111 miles second failure in 1 week

First failure at 50,111 miles is stone dead battery. Jump it bring it in, covered under warranty as "Goodwill " by BMW. Second failure is two days later. Check engine light. Problem was diagnosed as a faulty temp. sensor in the main diesel fluid tank. Sensor is not replaceable, therefore the entire tank was replaced. Again, this was done under "Goodwill" by BMW. My SA and Motorwerks BMW has been great through this but I am getting rather frustrated by the lack of reliability of the X5D. I have owned this car for three years and just when I think things are sorted out, here we go again! Now I have taken out an extended warranty, so BMW would own the problem either way. My issue is with the reliability of this vehicle in general. I will keep this auto for another 50K miles which is the expiration of my warranty. Then it is bye-bye BMW . This is absolutely BS! I am at the point where I am have lost confidence in this vehicle as reliable transportation. Over engineered and unnecessarily complex. I am also and owner of a 2000 BMW Z3M which I love. Do all my own maintenance on the Z3 and find it to be very easy and logically a high performance, early to maintain auto . X5D not so much.

I know I will get a shiatt storm from some of you for this post, but as far as I am concerned this is way too complex even for BMW to understand and engineer. Anyone would be crazy not to get an extended warranty on this vehicle , which is just another way for BMW to get you to pay for things that will need fixing, that should not need to be fixed, on a normal car that is properly maintained.

Again, great for BMW and my dealer to stand behind these BS issues with this car. However, it is indicative of a poorly engineered and poorly built auto, which appears to be built to fail when the warranty is over. I have previously owned a 2007 X5 4.8 that was flawless for 60k miles. Should have bought another.

Nuff said
Ads by Google
Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
While BMWs have a lot of good points, reliability is not one of them, particularly in the first year or two of a model redesign.

If reliability is a major factor for you, BMW is not the brand to buy (although it is much better than Audi). My 2005 Ford Focus is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It now has 84,000 miles and only has had one repair under warranty -- the throttle body was replaced under warranty to fix a slight "notchiness" in the throttle when starting from a stop. And unlike BMW, Ford diagnosed the problem and replaced it immediately when I brought it in, unlike BMW which often claims problems are either "normal operation" or "non-existent."

I just got my X5 back from the dealer due to frequent "excessive discharge" i-drive messages and the only action the service department took was to write on the service record "No Codes Recorded." No battery load test, no parasitic current drain measurement, nothing. It seems that nowadays if there isn't a code recorded, they assume you are just making things up.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
I just got my X5 back from the dealer due to frequent "excessive discharge" i-drive messages and the only action the service department took was to write on the service record "No Codes Recorded." No battery load test, no parasitic current drain measurement, nothing. It seems that nowadays if there isn't a code recorded, they assume you are just making things up.
Same spiel from my dealership for that issue. Then they replaced some sensor cable and gave the car back (after charging a ton). A few months later I got the same messages and a week ago my car refused to stop.

BMW is pretty bad at fixing things and they love to hide information (ie: oil/coolant temp); seriously they act like Apple in these matters, so I'm not surprised at all BMW is the first one with iPod integration and now this Siri stuff.

That said I got my own battery at Autozone, and now I do not have this discharge issue.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 997C2S
i agree with everything the initial poster said...
Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Kudos to BMW and your dealer for taking care of you out of warranty. I think you might have been SOL with the domestics. Try to get that level of care out of warranty at a Jeep dealer. I was burned for so many years with the Big Three that I'll never go back. Yes BMWs are complex machines but I've never experienced so much effort to keep a customer happy happy. I hope you find peace with whatever is next.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
While BMWs have a lot of good points, reliability is not one of them, particularly in the first year or two of a model redesign.

If reliability is a major factor for you, BMW is not the brand to buy (although it is much better than Audi). My 2005 Ford Focus is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It now has 84,000 miles and only has had one repair under warranty -- the throttle body was replaced under warranty to fix a slight "notchiness" in the throttle when starting from a stop. And unlike BMW, Ford diagnosed the problem and replaced it immediately when I brought it in, unlike BMW which often claims problems are either "normal operation" or "non-existent."

Nice general sweeping statements about reliability with your n=1 experience.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
My dad said he would like to buy my X5d when lease was up.Told him no way, when this thing breaks.It will take your wallet and retirement fund with it.I had it just over a year.and that
idle noise drove me to sell the car.
I'm so happy
Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka858 View Post
My dad said he would like to buy my X5d when lease was up.Told him no way, when this thing breaks.It will take your wallet and retirement fund with it.I had it just over a year.and that
idle noise drove me to sell the car.
I'm so happy
Jeeze, enough with the noise -- we get it.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
I have a MB diesel and its worlds different.
people should know what there in for.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: X5M 50d
Quote:
Would not drive a ML if you gave me one for free, its the same design as when the E53 X5's were out, you hardly see them here any more. When the E53 X5 was around there was heeps of ML's around but now its nearly all the new X5, and the occassional Porsche SUV.

ML lost alot of ground, plus its smaller than the X5 so you really have to go with a GL and that's a truck with diesel compared to a X5.

The problem you have in the US is you don't get the 40d with the 8 speed or the M50d diesel engines.

I would go Porsche before a ML, gee I'd probably buy SRT Jeep before a ML?
X5 M50d White, 20"rims, Adaptive Drive, HUD, Xenon Adapt Lights, Rear/Side Camera, Sunroof, Auto Tailgate, Comfort Access, Active Perforated Ventilated Comfort Seats, M Paddle Shift, Active Crus, Stop/Go, Proff Nav + TV, DAB, 16 Spk Ind HiFi, USB, Internet, Apps, 4 Zone Air, Towbar 20% Tint, 5mm Castor Bushes, Yellow Calipers, Ceramic Pads

Last edited by watrob; 10-23-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Need to update ' what you drive " unless the grass isn't really greener on the MB side
Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: Acura MDX
Much of the frustration is taken away by how the issue is handled by the dealer, BMW or other. I've owned a variety of cars, domestic and foreign, Japanese and German. I've had some potentially really frustrating breakdowns turn into not so bad experiences. I had a domestic dealer stonewall me on a repair 200 miles out of warranty and a foreign dealer cover something 2k miles out. So, even though breakdowns will happen in and out of warranty, I the service dept goes out of their way to correct the issue it turns out ok. It is a complex mechanical machine and failures happen...and the failing parts aren't normally Made by BMW...
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
they are, or they're

Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttmddj7va View Post
the failing parts aren't normally Made by BMW...
True. But BMW is responsible for choosing the supplier, establishing the specifications, and doing the QC.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Riiiiight.

Because every reporting organization (ie. Consumer Reports, JD Power, True Delta, the car rag long term tests, etc, etc. ) that exist are wrong in their reporting of mediocre to poor reliablity of BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Would not drive a ML if you gave me one for free, its the same design as when the E53 X5's were out, you hardly see them here any more. When the E53 X5 was around there was heeps of ML's around but now its nearly all the new X5, and the occassional Porsche SUV.
The ML is actually already on it's 3rd version. The W164 replaced the original, W163, in 2006 and was just completely redone this year with the W166. The X5 has only the two versions to date.

Quote:
ML lost alot of ground, plus its smaller than the X5 so you really have to go with a GL and that's a truck with diesel compared to a X5.
No it's not. The ML is virtually identical in size to the X5. The wife drove one prior to her 7. BMW does not currently offer anything remotely similar to the GL in terms of size.

Quote:
The problem you have in the US is you don't get the 40d with the 8 speed or the M50d diesel engines.
Agreed that it would be nice if we had those options.

Quote:
I would go Porsche before a ML, gee I'd probably buy SRT Jeep before a ML?
Different strokes for different folks.

The ML is also a very good vehicle that has it's own strengths and weaknesses. It's quieter, has a more luxurious ride and gets better gas mileage than the X5. Depends on what you're looking for in terms of priorities.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM

What was the JD Power predicted reliability for a 2005 Focus?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Cdn, remember Wat is down in Oz where they actually can get the new Jeep GC diesel, and have been able to for some time. Not the SRT of course, but again who knows how they designate stuff down there. Otherwise I agree with your comments. The Q7 comes closest to the GL in third row room, but really isn't in the same class which is really the 'Slade, Yukon, Expo, and Sequoia/LX group of serious haulers.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
What was the JD Power predicted reliability for a 2005 Focus?
I have no idea, if you have the data post it.

But Consumers Reports gives the 2005 Ford Focus an above average overall reliability report, with the engine getting the highest reliability rating they give, "much above average". (CR has five ratings for reliability, much above average, above average, average, below average, and much below average). The 2005 Ford Focus gets Much Above Average or Above Average in all car systems with the exception of the Electrical System where CR gave it a Below Average grade. In comparison, CR gives the 2005 BMWs overall ratings of average or below average, with the exception of the 2005 Z4, which got a Much Above Average rating.

Last edited by Penguin; 10-25-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Well, JD had the '05 Focus as average. But my point was that he used conflicting logic in his post. On the one hand, since all the automotive ratings agencies say that the X5 is unreliable, it must be true. On the other hand, I had an extremely reliable Ford Focus, never mind what the ratings say.

For the record, my E53 had somewhat more problems than my E60 has had at the same age, but I wouldn't have called it an unreliable car. The Audi allroad we had at the same time I had the E53 was in the shop constantly, seemingly never for less than $800 per visit. That was an unreliable car, more so the older it got.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well, JD had the '05 Focus as average..
Does JD have the X5 as Average also?

I totally agree with you regarding Audi. Over the years my friend and acquaintances have had so many problems with Audis that I don't even bother to read the Audi reviews any more as I would never consider buying one.

Last edited by Penguin; 10-25-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
But my point was that he used conflicting logic in his post. On the one hand, since all the automotive ratings agencies say that the X5 is unreliable, it must be true. On the other hand, I had an extremely reliable Ford Focus, never mind what the ratings say.
You seem confused. Those comments are from two different people, not a single individual. I made the comment about the Ford Focus.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Quote:
Does JD have the X5 as Average also?

I totally agree with you regarding Audi. Over the years my friend and acquaintances have had so many problems with Audis that I don't even bother to read the Audi reviews any more as I would never consider buying one.
I just sold my 2012 Q5 with 18k miles on it. Never had 1 day of problem with it. just an FYI.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Actually, N=2, as I also have a 2004 BMW Z-4. It's the only car I've owned that needed to be towed/flatbedded in the past 40 years.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gresch View Post
I just sold my 2012 Q5 with 18k miles on it. Never had 1 day of problem with it. just an FYI.
Perhaps they've gotten better. I mostly ignore anything I see about Audi, so my perception may be out-of-date.