Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Nav DVD and CD changer wiring

Hi, I am new to this forum and new to the BMW world with a recent purchase of a 2005 X5 4.4. The nav continuously tells me that vehicle is out of range or cannot give directions. I pulled both CD and DVD out and looked at wiring as well as wiring to ibus. Books like there should be wire going to the back of the DVD on left side similar to the single black wire going to the CD changer. Cannot locate one that is not hooked up. Can anyone tell me of a fix for this issue or send me pics of the wiring on the back of their unit? Also, is the wire going to the ibus is in correct location?
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	346818  

Last edited by i957corvette; 10-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM

2nd photo
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	346836  
Old 10-21-2012, 06:22 PM

3rd photo

Here is 3rd photo
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	62
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	346837  
Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
I am just guessing, but if you have the original 2005 NAV CD is it possible you are travelling to a destination too new for the software to recognize?

My 2005 cannot find places all the time. A new NAV disc is more expensive than my lifelong updates Garmin.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks for your reply. I live in an older neighbourhood so I don't think that is the issue. The map actually shows that I am sitting in the the middle of Lake Ontario. Lol.
If it is not touch trouble, would you be able to feel behind your DVD player and see if there is a wire on the back, right hand side and see I there is a wire attached to the little post sticking out?
Old 10-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Black Wire Upper Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by i957corvette View Post
Thanks for your reply. I live in an older neighbourhood so I don't think that is the issue. The map actually shows that I am sitting in the the middle of Lake Ontario. Lol.
If it is not touch trouble, would you be able to feel behind your DVD player and see if there is a wire on the back, right hand side and see I there is a wire attached to the little post sticking out?
Sorry for the delay. I was way out of range of any communication except semaphore.

There is a single black wire on the upper corner of my NAV DVD. The harnesses on the other side appear to be the same as yours.

A boot covers the black wire. It does not look like it is easily detached. I have not investigated the NAV system as of yet. I am going to replace the entire unit. Someone removed the CD changer prior to my purchase, and I no longer have cassettes to play. It is really cute how you push a button and the cassette play is exposed. Lots of buttons in our Bimmers!

Please keep me posted on your progress. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 PM

Thanks again for the reply. BMW electronics is a while new world for me. I have a decent understanding of the wiring on North American vehicles but BMW seems to be very different. Not sure if that is similar to other imports as this is my first import I bought. It's also seems very difficult to obtain a shop manual for these vehicles, unlike any other vehicle I have owned. I think I will try pulling the black wire off the CD changer and plug into the back of DVD.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 PM

Talking Definitely Complex

This is my first BMW, too. I am learning a great deal here on the forum. I bought a Bentley X5 manual. It is very,very thorough. It is a must have. I also downloaded the BMW OEM manual since my vehicle did not have one in it.

Shop around for the Bentley manual. I got mine on Amazon for about $80.

I will never buy parts from a BMW dealer. All OEM parts are available from other distributors. I have been building and rebuilding Harley's for a long while, but my BMW is a whole different experience. I believe I will take this one to my grave. I will have a running '57 Ford truck that works, but the X5 will look really good at the wake.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks. I moved the coax cable from the CD changer to the DVD and voila....it worked. I will be ordering the Bentley book for myself.
I have a 2007 HD Ultra and don't hesitate to work on. the same with any of my other vehicles. Would love to see some pics of your projects.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4L
CD with Nav

I just bough an 04 X5 with Nav and OEM DVD. do these vehicle come optional with a CD players / changers. I looked in the back and the only two drivers are the DVD and the NAV. I do not see any cables / plugs for the cd changer. when I push the mode button, it cycles through the radio and Tape only.