Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
What could this be?

My poor car (read poor owner!) is having issues with its transmission. The fluid level was checked and was fine. After driving for a while, and then sitting for a bit it will hard shift into any gear. It never will happen mid drive. Only when started after sitting after out driving.

I have a fault that won't clear: the transmission fluid temperature sensor. It doesn't give any other information other than the fault code (says the mechanic).

Any thoughts on what might be causing it... anyone have experiences with getting that fault code and hard shifting? Seems to me it must be related but the mechanic wasn't so sure...

Thanks in advance...
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
how many miles on ur car? ever changed ur transmission oil?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 12-21-2012, 12:58 AM

Only 78,000.... I haven't changed the transmission oil. I'm leery about doing it after reading from folks here that it might cause more problems than fix since at this point it's already having trouble.

When it gets into hard shift mode it is un-drivable, unless I want to give my self whiplash every time it tries to shift gears. Sometimes, though not recently, I can just turn the car off and on again and it will be fixed.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:11 AM

try changing the fluid first and bleeding the system correctly, then go from there. it's the cheapest way and might save u lots of $$

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 12-21-2012, 01:15 AM

Is that the nice way of saying this is your last ditch effort before you're shelling out for a new transmission?
Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 AM

well u'r looking at the glass half empty (changing the transmission ) i'm lookin at it half full (changing the fluid will get it up and running again )

Old 12-21-2012, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
You have nothing to lose by changing the transmission fluid and it may very well fix your problem. I would not flush the transmission but do a conventional fluid/filter change with good recommended fluid. Either that, or take the transmission to Lourdes.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 PM

What's Lourdes?

Is the transmission oil temp sensor thing something I should replace in the process?

The only indy shop we have here I get such a bad feeling about. I've never really liked their service and they only spoke about a flush. So my only other option is to have it done at the dealer...

My husband has done lots of repairs on the car, radiator, expansion tank, fuel pump... but I think it better for our marriage to have the transmission done by someone else just in case it does kill the car I can blame them not him!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: E46 E89 F30(Msport)
I've changed my transmission fluid 2 times. 183,000 miles. Runs great.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesberry View Post
I've changed my transmission fluid to Guiness. 183,000 miles. Runs great.
Fixed that for ya, Chuck !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-21-2012, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahine312 View Post
What's Lourdes?

Is the transmission oil temp sensor thing something I should replace in the process?

The only indy shop we have here I get such a bad feeling about. I've never really liked their service and they only spoke about a flush. So my only other option is to have it done at the dealer...

My husband has done lots of repairs on the car, radiator, expansion tank, fuel pump... but I think it better for our marriage to have the transmission done by someone else just in case it does kill the car I can blame them not him!
To be honest, the dealer will probably charge you upwards of $500.00 for a transmission service, when your husband could do it for you cost of parts and fluid - a whole lot less than that. If he was able to do the things you listed, he can change the transmission fluid. And if you do not trust your husband, tell the indy shop to do a change, not a flush, or that you will go somewhere else.

Lourdes is the pilgrimage place in France where they take the dying for miraculous healing.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Lourdes is the pilgrimage place in France where they take the dying for miraculous healing.
Lol. OH! Yes... booking travel as we speak.

I trust him to do the repair... just not me to not draw a coincidental line between it all junking out and him fixing it.

Honestly, the indy shop is asking upwards of $400... I live on a rock so everywhere can gauge you, and I don't get a good feel for them I don't feel I would be able to trust that they would do the replacement rather than the flush (which is what they've been pressuring me to do).

Today it drove beautifully and I did a lot of errands, we live at 1,500 ft above sea level and was great uphill... downhill.. stop and go. When I started it after grocery shopping it was an ideal time for it to misbehave and she was perfect!

I'm so curious why it only happens once in a blue moon and other times is perfect.