Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Overheat warning: yellow and red

I was in moderate traffic today, which then stopped and started inching towards an intersection. I got an iDrive warning and a yellow dash warning saying the engine temp was high. I switched off the AC, rolled down the windows, and turned the heat and fan onto maximum settings. The light went out, but then came back red, and this time no throttle response at all.

I turned on my hazards, switched off the engine for a little while, then turned it back on. (Unusually for this area, nobody honked and they just politely drove around me.) Everything was OK and I drove home making sure to only go on open roads where I wouldn't need to stop too often. I switched off the engine at every red light.

I got home and popped the hood. No steam, no leaks, nothing. I did some research on this board, then went back to the car with a flashlight.

The big electric fan at the front, right behind the radiator, runs as soon as I turn the engine on with the AC running. It keeps running.

When I open the coolant tank with the engine running, I can see a small spout of coolant flowing from the point at which the hose from the top of the radiator enters the tank. It's just a small spout, more a trickle than a gush. Not sure if this means the coolant pump is OK or not?

I opened the oil fill cap and looked in with a flashlight. I can see oil splashing around - not a lot, but it's not dry in there. The iDrive oil level gauge says MAX.

At this point, my iDrive Status page shows no errors of any kind - everything is green.

I do have an appointment at the dealer on Thursday, but wondered if anyone had any thoughts? The car is still fully under warranty. Is it safe to drive to the dealer or should I request a flatbed?

Engine is an N54, 23,000 miles.

Thanks. By the way, outside temps in Northern Virginia today were high 60s to about 70.
Ads by Google