Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 95 BMW 318ti
After starting, car dies immediately without idling

Hello everyone.

I took my 95 318ti in to a local dealer this afternoon to get an oil change.

After they were done, I got my keys from the cashier, started it, drove home without any problem.

This evening, I was going to run out to pick up dinner. I started my car, it sounded fine on starting, but died right away. No hesitation or struggling on starting - it sounds like it always does when starting, then dies right away. Looking at the tachometer, it never goes above zero unless I press on the accelerator while I start the car. If I push on the accelerator, it keeps revved up. But the minute I take my foot off, the engine dies.

This has been a little frustrating since all I was doing was getting an oil change and have not ever had any problems after an oil change. It is also a little odd that I was able to start it with no problem right after they were done, but not now, after trying multiple times.

Any ideas what it may be before I call the dealership tomorrow morning? Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Hmm, on the E30s there's a position sensor that 'tells' the ECU that the crank is moving, a signal the ECU needs in order to run the car; if it's bad, the car starts and dies. Someone with an E36 maybe can pipe up and say if it has something similar...
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey
Hello everyone.

Any ideas what it may be before I call the dealership tomorrow morning? Thanks!

Could be a stuck idle control valve, if the M42 has one.

If that is the problem, it is an easy fix. Maybe $150 at the dealer.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 95 BMW 318ti
As I was getting ready to call a wrecker this morning, I decided to give one more shot at starting the car. It hesitated a bit, but actually started. Right away, I was worried that I would not be able to show the service advisor my problem. I hate intermittent problems.

I explained what happened to my advisor. They took a look at it and came back with my keys a couple of minutes later. The advisor said the dipstick was not pushed in all the way. I was a little skeptical about this, but knew there was not much else they could do at this time. When I started it, it sounded right - went straight to idle without hesitation. I have started it a couple of times after that without any problem. So at least for now, I think the answer was right. I actually checked the oil last night when it would not start, put the dipstick back in, and tried again to no avail. But maybe I didn't push it all the way back in either.

Anyway, thanks for the replies The Roadstergal and Andrew*Debbie. I hated signing up just to ask for help, but I was desperate for ideas last night. This place has a lot of knowledgeable posters and good info, so I will have to check it out more often, especially if I get back in the market for a new 325.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318ti
Cool 318ti OIL DIPSTICK BEWARE

same **** happened to me when I returned from paying a mere $75 buck oil change from Jiffy Lube. People make sure the oil dipstick is properly pushed in all the way because if not the car will not even rev. I was totally dumbfounded then after messing around and sticking the dipstick back in place ... voila! The car started without a problem.

Wierd as **** ... but true. Make sure you let the $5.50 workers at Jiffy Lube know that your Bimmer's dipstick better be properly put back in place !!

Imagine if this had happened with some hot chick in my car ... damn id be pissed !!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 92 318i Cabriolet
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey
As I was getting ready to call a wrecker this morning, I decided to give one more shot at starting the car. It .
This happened to me too before I decided to go to my BMW mechanic for all oil changes. Any hoo, I went to Jiffy Lube and when I went to start it, it did the same thing. I finally got it to start but it was trying hard to die. I drove - or limped it back into the bay and told the guy and luckily he was smart enough to look at my hoses. Someone had knocked one of them loose so the vac wasn't working properly. After putting back on tight, it ran smooth like the little beast she is.