Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328
Question 2009 BMW M3 Dinan?

Hello everyone,

I came across a 2009 bmw m3 convertible with Dinan 4.6L V8 Engine, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, Dinan Front and Rear ST2 Brake Kit, Dinan 3.63 Limited Slip Differential, Dinan High-Flow Intake, Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Dinan Throttle Body S65 V8, Dinan Underdrive Crankshaft Pully Kit.

I did not intent to purchase a m3 convertible with so much modification and improved performance parts; however, this seems like a great deal since the previous owner spend 40,000+ dollars on all the Dinan parts and the car is selling for around 55k. This is about 10k more expensive than other 2009 m3 convertibles. The Dinan engine alone is worth about 20k, so it seems like a good deal.

However, I am not a track person and have very little knowledge about Dinan parts. So i come here today hoping all the experts here can tell me whether or not I should buy this car.

The factors that concerns me are:

Reliability- Since the previous owner replaced most of the stock parts, how reliable is the car now? Will it have a lot of problems? More maintenance cost? How long will the car last? Does all the improved parts like the new engine shorten the cars life?

Resale value- Since most of the parts are not stock anymore, will it affect the resale value of the car when i decide to sell it few yeas from now? Will any dealership buy this car without the stock engine and everything? will it lower the resale value or increase it?

Performance/gas consumption- I realize that with all the new Dinan parts, the performance of the car on the track will improve greatly. But since I do not track much, I'm more concerned with the everyday street performance. Will the car be less comfortable and harder to drive on the street? During the test drive, I noticed a bit of lag when I give it gas from a stop sign or stop light when the power button is not on. It feels kinda like turbo lag. Is this due to the new engine or other Dinan parts? When the power button is on then the lag is gone also. I did not notice any lag without the power button in the other stock m3 I drove earlier that day. Also, does the new engine eats more gas on the street?

Last edited by Dreamerxyz; 10-22-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Why do you want to buy this car?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:42 PM

Because it seems like a good deal on paper and it is the only black e93 around town ( i prefer black or white).

Last edited by Dreamerxyz; 10-22-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Then it is the wrong car for you.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Then it is the wrong car for you.
Obviously I know this is not the exact car I was looking for, otherwise I would not have made a post about the car here. Like I have mentioned in the post, I am interested in the car because it seems like a good deal and an exciting car, but I am unsure about many things on the car. So I came here looking for some answers.

While I appreciated your comment, I did not get any answers or useful feedback from it. I hope that someone who is more knowledgeable will be able to give me more useful answers on my questions and concerns.

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Dinan///M3 - Countryman S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamerxyz View Post
Hello everyone,

I came across a 2009 bmw m3 convertible with Dinan 4.6L V8 Engine, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, Dinan Front and Rear ST2 Brake Kit, Dinan 3.63 Limited Slip Differential, Dinan High-Flow Intake, Dinan Stage 3 Suspension, Dinan Throttle Body S65 V8, Dinan Underdrive Crankshaft Pully Kit.

I did not intent to purchase a m3 convertible with so much modification and improved performance parts; however, this seems like a great deal since the previous owner spend 40,000+ dollars on all the Dinan parts and the car is selling for around 55k. This is about 10k more expensive than other 2009 m3 convertibles. The Dinan engine alone is worth about 20k, so it seems like a good deal.

However, I am not a track person and have very little knowledge about Dinan parts. So i come here today hoping all the experts here can tell me whether or not I should buy this car.

The factors that concerns me are:

Reliability- Since the previous owner replaced most of the stock parts, how reliable is the car now? Will it have a lot of problems? More maintenance cost? How long will the car last? Does all the improved parts like the new engine shorten the cars life?

Resale value- Since most of the parts are not stock anymore, will it affect the resale value of the car when i decide to sell it few yeas from now? Will any dealership buy this car without the stock engine and everything? will it lower the resale value or increase it?

Performance/gas consumption- I realize that with all the new Dinan parts, the performance of the car on the track will improve greatly. But since I do not track much, I'm more concerned with the everyday street performance. Will the car be less comfortable and harder to drive on the street? During the test drive, I noticed a bit of lag when I give it gas from a stop sign or stop light when the power button is not on. It feels kinda like turbo lag. Is this due to the new engine or other Dinan parts? When the power button is on then the lag is gone also. I did not notice any lag without the power button in the other stock m3 I drove earlier that day. Also, does the new engine eats more gas on the street?

This alone answers your resale question. In regards to the performance, this car will obviously drink a little more gas (it's a stroked engine)......the ride quality will be subjective, and the M button is not a power button (it alters the throttle sensitivity and other programmable features. I would say since you have no desire to track this car or drag race from light to light, look for another one. If this is your first M car I suggest you experience it in it's stock form first. This could offer more performance than you really want. Hope this helps some...............Phil

2011.5 Dinan ///M3:
SSII DCT
Comp, Conv, Premium 2 Pkg
Heated Seats
Enhnd Prem Sound
BMW Edition Grills / Gills
BMW M Perf. Steering Wheel
BMW Carbon Fiber Perf. Spoiler
BMW Pedals
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Mid Racing Exhaust (x-pipe)
Dinan Carbon Fiber Intake
Dinan Racing Middle Exhaust Software
Dinan DCT Tune
Dinan Pulley Kit
Dinan CH-R Wheels
Dinan Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces
IND M5 Scheme Mirror Caps
Arkym Front Lip
Carbon Front Reflectors
Lux H8 V3
Brembo 365mm BBK
Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E92 M3
You dont track convertibles, dinan warranties there parts like BMW so the reliability is there, u will not get money for the mods they r a money pit, so u r not going to be ahead by much based on mods on a car that can't really b tracked

Sent from my ADR6350 using Bimmer App
Old 10-25-2012, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Hint. Mods don't add value to car. At this price you are significantly overpaying.