Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 325IC
Any info on cxracing

Cxracing parts any good?
Ads by Google
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
No.

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 10-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 325IC
Have you had any experience with the parts or just know other people had?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:56 AM
610EUROs

Mein Auto: 90' 24v, 89' 325is
ive only ordered 1 or 2 parts from them, it was a few years ago. the parts are cheap chinese crap.

build: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=382667
Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
I'd guess it depends on what parts you're interested in..

There are people on the subie forums running both their top and front mount intercoolers with no issues. Something like a top mount intercooler is pretty hard to screw up; its big box with fins on top and only three mounting points. Other than people saying they're a couple MM off I haven't seen other issues.

However, I wouldn't really trust their turbos or anything else that's over complicated. I'm sure they use the same generic Chinese turbos that every other Ebay kit has. Their manifolds probably have cheaper quality metals and low quality welds compared to the top brands.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Thumbs down Chinese IC junk

I think you have not grasped how a IC works when you say
Code:
Something like a top mount intercooler is pretty hard to screw up; its big box with fins on top

Why not just use a old truck air con radiator then & weld some tabs on it
IC lives by efficiency & if you want to further your knowledge read up on adiabatic efficiency etc.

Sorry, most Chinese IC I have tested are nothing else than a restriction that only looks good for the first few months.
Actually, at the risk of being called racist, I would call most Chinese products far below standard Any standard !

Last week I got sweet-talked into working a GWM Steed and Geely LC
Both came back with irritating niggles.
It could point to my work, but 2 vehicles out of over 300 done this year already

Ryan, I did not want to come down on you
I just get pissed-off by people hurting others through lack-of-knowledge
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick323 View Post
I think you have not grasped how a IC works when you say
Code:
Something like a top mount intercooler is pretty hard to screw up; its big box with fins on top

Why not just use a old truck air con radiator then & weld some tabs on it
IC lives by efficiency & if you want to further your knowledge read up on adiabatic efficiency etc.

Sorry, most Chinese IC I have tested are nothing else than a restriction that only looks good for the first few months.
Actually, at the risk of being called racist, I would call most Chinese products far below standard Any standard !

Ryan, I did not want to come down on you
I just get pissed-off by people hurting others through lack-of-knowledge

Obviously I understand how ICs work, I've been playing with them for a year now, and have replaced mine and others on probably 7 different occasions. My point was, even the Ebay intercoolers are direct copies of the name-brand companies' products. Companies like AMS, Perrin, Cobb, TurboXS, and others have been building and selling quality TMICs for years and years. The chinese buy one, pull it apart, then replicate the whole process.

Getting back to my original point; its pretty hard to screw up an intercooler. Its not like a turbo that requires quality metals to be used for every part. It is not put together with 10 rotating parts that require precision. It's literally a box with fins that air flows through. Thats it.

There are hundreds of threads of NASIOC and other forums comparing the "cheap" intercoolers and the expensive name brand products

In the aforementioned threads I referenced above, plenty of people have conducted tests between your top shelf intercoolers from Perrin ($649), and your cheap products from Godspeed ($209), testing the air temp before and after the intercooler. The results? Less than 2* between the two. They're the same size, have similar welds, and similar fitment. The intercooler doesn't move, doesn't rotate, doesn't get hit with anything, and barely gets warm when moving. Therefore, it really doesn't pay to buy the top shelf stuff for 3x the cost unless you're a pretentious prick that enjoys wasting money.

Some of the times you hear about poor fitment is also because people dont realize that rarely is something truly plug and play when its larger than stock. Stuff needs to be moved, altered, etc..

Also, hop on various other JDM sites and you'll find plenty of people pushing 300whp with their CXracing kits. For how long? No idea. But even then you can swap the turbo with a reliable unit and the rest should be fine for some time.

I'm not talking out of my ass here, I've done the research, talked to people who are running these things and will be buying that cheap ebay intercooler when I swap turbos this winter.

For reference, here's a 2007 STI with rotated Garret turbo, a mod list 8ft long, and guess what kind of FMIC he's running? If you guessed a $1400 Perrin unit, you're wrong! Its actually a $320 kit off ebay. What kind of power is he putting down? 437whp/490ft lbs. He's been running that for over a year now and the intercooler has had 0 hiccups.