Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 08-17-2011, 06:50 PM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is/ED & 12 X3 28i
US warrenty covered in Canada?

I just bought a new Z4 from a dealership in the states. The dealership woman who did the paper work told me that the BMW warrenty does not cover in Canada. Aslo, she said that the rim & tire warrenty does not replace tire/rim unless i drive back to the states.
I am planning a vacation in Canada this fall. In case of tire being damaged, I may not be able to drive back to the states.

My car is not a leased or rental, it should be covered anyplace in the USA and Canada. I hope i am correct on this.
Ads by Google
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
If your car is still under the original 4yr/50K warranty it will be covered while in Canada.

Free maintenance and CPO warranties are NOT covered in Canada, you will have to drive back to the US to get work done if you have a CPO.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 AM
BMWCCA

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is/ED & 12 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
If your car is still under the original 4yr/50K warranty it will be covered while in Canada.

Free maintenance and CPO warranties are NOT covered in Canada, you will have to drive back to the US to get work done if you have a CPO.
Thanks Yorgi, I needed a conirmation. I have never heard that the warrenty (original 4yr 50K miles) does not cover in Canada. It will be a week or so in Canada, so I don't expect a need of maintenance while in Canada.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
If it's a new car, surely it came with a warranty booklet explaining the coverage? It's quite clearly spelled out in my 2006 (Canadian) warranty booklet that the car is (was) covered by the full manufacturer's warranty while travelling in the US, by reciprocal agreement with BMW North America.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
If it's a new car, surely it came with a warranty booklet explaining the coverage? It's quite clearly spelled out in my 2006 (Canadian) warranty booklet that the car is (was) covered by the full manufacturer's warranty while travelling in the US, by reciprocal agreement with BMW North America.
The 2013 US warranty book makes no mention of Canada (covered or not covered) except to say that Roadside Assistance included Canada.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
The 2013 US warranty book makes no mention of Canada (covered or not covered) except to say that Roadside Assistance included Canada.
Correct. However, I have to believe that if your BMW breaks down in Canada while under warranty it will be covered, particularly if you are a US resident just visiting. The book says that in the event of a mechanical breakdown normally covered under the New Vehicle Warranty your vehicle will be transported (at no cost) to the nearest authorized BMW center. Due to distances they would probably tow it to a Canadian BMW dealer and fix it for you under warranty.

Remember that if your car is still under warranty, BMW probably wants to keep you happy. You are most likely the original owner or perhaps a CPO purchaser. The last thing they should want to do on a legitimate breakdown is give you a hard time. If you had a major failure and BMW was to deny a warranty claim simply because you were in Canada, they would kill any future sales to you and others as you spread the word.

I have confidence they would do the right thing, as it is in their interest to do so. I'd probably send BWM consumer relations and ask the question before I drive up there, though.

2013 335i - ED September 2012
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irianjim View Post
If you had a major failure and BMW was to deny a warranty claim simply because you were in Canada, they would kill any future sales to you and others as you spread the word.

I have confidence they would do the right thing, as it is in their interest to do so. I'd probably send BWM consumer relations and ask the question before I drive up there, though.
Unfortunately, I received a response from BMW North America, which is the U.S. importer, not North America as the name implies. I had asked about emergency repairs during a rare trip to Canada and that the car was registered in the U.S. and driven in the U.S. most of the time.

Quote:
While registered in the United States, your vehicle is only eligible for warranty and maintenance coverage at an authorized BMW center in the U.S. Your vehicle will only have coverage in Canada if it is exported to and registered in Canada. Please note that the BMW Full Maintenance program and Roadside Assistance services are only valid within the U.S. and are not available in Canada.
The glimmer of hope is that the warranty booklet says that Roadside Assistance does cover Canada, which isn't what the above quote states. The question then would be whether to carry the warranty booklet and try to insist that the car be towed to the nearest BMW dealer which honors the warranty, which would be a U.S. dealer.

This discussion is mostly to prepare for rare events. The chance of a newer car being disabled on any particular day is very low.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 01-02-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Here's a link and quote that says that roadside assistance covers Canada, unlike the e-mailed quote from BMW NA

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ssistance.aspx

Quote:
BMW Roadside Assistance offers outstanding travel protection 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, at no additional cost* and without any mileage restrictions. You're covered in all 50 states, Canada and Puerto Rico, and you're even covered if someone else is driving your BMW.
A similar quote is in the warranty booklet. The warranty booklet, however, says that the warranty is covered in the U.S. It doesn't say it's covered in Canada but also doesn't say that it is not covered in Canada. My guess is that it isn't usually covered in Canada and either isn't or could be covered in emergency repairs in Canada as an exception.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 01-02-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
FWIW,

Here's a quote from an older(2007-2010) CPO warranty in Canada.
Its CPO but should be included in current new car warranties.

Quote:
Outside of Canada
The Certified Series™ Protection Plan is administered only through
authorized BMW Retailers in Canada. However, should circumstances
require the repair of a covered component in the U.S.A., please locate
the most convenient authorized BMW Retailer in your area, pay for the
required repair and submit a copy of the invoice within 60 days of the
invoice date directly to your regular Canadian BMW Retailer.
Your retailer will make a claim and, on approval by BMW Canada Inc.,
reimburse you for the full amount paid (minus the $50.00 handling
charge) by you for a repair performed outside of Canada which is covered
under the terms of the Certified Series™ Protection Plan.
Note: Only repairs performed by an authorized BMW Retailer will be
eligible for reimbursement.

You have to think the same coverage would exist for US residents travelling into Canada.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Vert
An interesting topic. As an aside, I looked at the Mercedes maintenance manual which specifically states that if you take your vehicle to Canada temporarily, such as on vacation, warranty service can be requested from any authorized Mercedes center.

I still think you would be covered on a breakdown in Canada. If I were to breakdown in Edmonton, my guess they would tow it to the BMW dealer in Edmonton and fix it there, rather than towing it back to a BMW dealer in the States.......

2013 335i - ED September 2012
Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 AM

It would be a service to the BMW owner's community if this discussion results in a better outcome for somebody, once we know what happens in real life.

Seems like Canadian BMWs can get emergency warranty service in the U.S. Also seems that Roadside Assistance is available in Canada for U.S. BMWs. Unclear is whether emergency warranty repairs are available in Canada for U.S. BMWs but it seems that non-emergency warranty repairs are not covered.

If my BMW, which is under warranty, is disabled in Canada during a short trip, I'd try to call BMW NA to see if they'd cover the repair. If I couldn't reach them, such as during a weekend, I'd have to weigh risking that I'd have to pay for it myself or see if roadside assistance could tow the car to Seattle.