Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i M Sport Mperf
Dinan Tune for 2013's Ready Yet?

Guys, I called up Dinan and they said the stage 1 and 2 tunes arent available yet for 2013 X5 50i's. I feel like this isnt true. Isnt the 2012 motor the same as the 2013 4.4tt motor? I am ready to buy stage 2 and exhaust but they wont sell me anything yet.

Did anyone order Stage 2 or Stage 1 for a 2013 X5 yet on here?
I feel like I saw a few people with 2013's get the tune already. I think maybe my dealer just isnt in the loop yet.

All help would definitely be appreciated.

One last question. I have the M Performance Package with 440hp and 480 tq. Do you think a stage 2 will be a big difference in performance for me for 3 grand? The only reason I question this is because I saw some Dyno Numbers on the Dinan Tunes in the past and I saw stock baseline X5 50i numbers of 362 All Wheel Horsepower and 405 all wheel torque all stock. And the Dinan Stage 1 only produced 392 AWHP and 451 AWTQ. That would equate to 450 hp and 518 tq assuming a 15% Drivetrain loss. So, honestly if BMW is right about the 440 hp than it really might not be worth it for me to upgrade because Dinans's Dynometer (non mustang dyno) numbers dont seem to match the claims.

Thanks guys.

Dom

Last edited by doms50msport; 10-23-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. Dinan knows what Dinan sells- if they say it isnt available for your car, I'd take their word for it. (I would not rely on the dealer calling dinan and reporting back to you...)

2. Settle down with this silliness over comparing apple tunes to orange tunes. Once they have a tune for YOUR motor, you can look at the gain and make your decision.... why speculate about what one motor gains and how this might be indicative to your gain? Just a waste of time.

3. $3000 is absolutely not worth it. To me. But you buy these things for reasons other than 'worth'.

4. Dyno numbers are always fun, as are seat of the pants feelings...but when it comes to actual 'around a track' or '0-60' or 1/4 times, you will find the gains to be very modest.

IMO

A
Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
Not sure about your 2013, but I have a 2012 X5 and I purchased the stage 2 and I love it. Dinan claims 501 hp, but I havenít had it on the dyno. $3000 is a lot of money, I donít think its worth it, but I wanted the power. Hey......I know why they wont sell it to you......... cause they are waiting for their 15% sale to end so they can make some money off you.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBusa View Post
Not sure about your 2013, but I have a 2012 X5 and I purchased the stage 2 and I love it. Dinan claims 501 hp, but I havenít had it on the dyno. $3000 is a lot of money, I donít think its worth it, but I wanted the power. Hey......I know why they wont sell it to you......... cause they are waiting for their 15% sale to end so they can make some money off you.
hahahahah BRO I WAS TOTALLY THINKING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im serious! i am totally not kidding! LMAO

If they release the 2013 parts on November 1st I will personally buy you a 12 pack of Blue Moon Belgian White beer. LOL
Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 AM

A,
As usual I appreciate your quick responses. But, I must admit. You have a way with words that makes you come across as a "dick" lol. No disrespect intended but I am a newbie over here and it seems like you are always being condescending and attacking for some reason. lmao I do appreciate your responses though.

1.) I think you may have mis-understood my questions. I called my Dealer twice and the dealer had stated Dinan doesnt make anything for the 2013 X5 50i's yet. So, i was wondering if the dealer just doesnt stay up to date on this stuff and I wanted to know if anyone on the site managed to get a Stage 1 or 2 tune on their 2013 50i X5. So this question is more tailored toward owners of 2013 X5 50i's. I forgot to ask, do you have an X5??

2.) Dont know why you are telling me to settle down? Did I say anything that may have upset you? I am not speculating or comparing. I am just trying to talk to other owners of 2013 50i's with the M Performance package with 440hp. Trying to find other members that upraded to Dinan Stage 1 or 2 even after owning the 440hp M Perf. I am starting to scratch my head because if I am spending the money on a Dinan Tune, I shouldve skipped the M Performance 40 hp upgrade from BMW. So, my question is to other people in my boat considering this also. Especially someone else that has a 2013 50i M Sport/M Performance 440 hp vehicle.

3.) I agree with you on this one. 3000 is a A LOT of coin! But if it gives me an additional 120 ft lbs of torque, or at least those are the advertised claims. I will gladly spend the money. Especially with the 15% off! Lets hope they sell me the parts before October 31st. haha

4.) I agree with you on that one. My last sports car besides my 4.6is was a 4100 lb 2003 Mustang Cobra convertible with 620 RWHP, whipple 2.3L supercharged 21lbs of boost, pump gas, headers, full mac catless and catback exhaust, custom EFI Solutions dyno tune on long island. Mickey Thompson Drag Radials. So, I totally agree with you on the seat of the pants and track meaning more than numbers.

Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
1. Dinan knows what Dinan sells- if they say it isnt available for your car, I'd take their word for it. (I would not rely on the dealer calling dinan and reporting back to you...)

2. Settle down with this silliness over comparing apple tunes to orange tunes. Once they have a tune for YOUR motor, you can look at the gain and make your decision.... why speculate about what one motor gains and how this might be indicative to your gain? Just a waste of time.

3. $3000 is absolutely not worth it. To me. But you buy these things for reasons other than 'worth'.

4. Dyno numbers are always fun, as are seat of the pants feelings...but when it comes to actual 'around a track' or '0-60' or 1/4 times, you will find the gains to be very modest.

IMO

A
Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doms50msport View Post
If they release the 2013 parts on November 1st I will personally buy you a 12 pack of Blue Moon Belgian White beer. LOL
Well.... get ready to buy that beer. lol BTW... what color is your X? Mine is white. I got the Adaptive Drive and the Active steering. Did you gat AD?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Ard,
I think you need to qualify that statement. I just had the Stage 2 tune done on my '12 X5 50i. To me it was well worth it. I understand there are other tunes that make the same or more HP for 1/2 the price. The difference is that Dinan offers a supplemental warranty to cover what BMW deems "tune related" failures. The other benefit was I had the tune done at a BMW dealer not far from my home.

So for $1000 - $1500 dollars more, I have significantly reduced my chance of headaches if there are any warranty issues. There is one throat to choke. My SA as BMW SA or the exact same guy who is the Dinan authorized installer who sold me a Dinan tune on a BMW dealership invoice.

Honestly, it is a convenience premium I was willing to pay. For others, it may not be worth it. To state absolutely that is not worth it is not true.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i Msport Dinan
I just dinan stage 2'd my e70 X5 50i m sport today. 495hp and 573lb/tq. Yes, it grabs the gas, but so worth the power, it is insane. My wife's 2010 M5 V10 was side by side during our 0-60 test granted she doesn't know how to get off the line as well as i do. After 70mph, her V10 and sleeker body design beat me, but still. I ran a 13.88 in cold weather the other day for my 1/4 mile. Whether you get the 35 or 50i, look into the DINAN upgrades. I'd rather be filling up every 6 days but be able to have this insane power when i want. If i drive it economically, i still get 20mpg easily. Oh yea, dont bother with the M performance package, the Dinan stuff will just override it and it will be a waste of the $1600
Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychampagne View Post
I just dinan stage 2'd my e70 X5 50i m sport today. 495hp and 573lb/tq.
WRONG!! Dude, those are stage 1 numbers, if you got stage 2, you got 501hp and 580 lb/tq. Im gonna have to revoke your Dinan license. You missed a whole 6hp and 7lb/tq. Hope your enjoying it as much as I am.