Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-13-2014, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 325i Convertible
94 325i Convertible valve cover and header replacement?

I have a few questions concerning this car I just picked up. It's a 94 e36 convo with 124k brought from Florida in 2011 and surely garage kept. So willing to put some money into this one. As I did with my last 2, but 1st one was 318i and 2nd was rusted out and tow Co. ruined it.

This is the bad, the car was broken into and door panels are gone from being tore up for speakers and the OBC was cut out. So just interior work and problems listed below,

It has a valve cover leak like my last 2 but this one is right above the manifold(headers), so the oil drips right onto it and of course smokes, but not bad, but bad enough for me. So I have to replace that and already got one in from Pelican as well as bunch of other stuff the car was missing.

*** While I'm taking valve cover off, I figured why not put my m3 headers I've had for 2yrs now and install them, vanos inspection as well.

1. While I'm taking the valve cover off of course I'm going to inspect the vanos, it doesn't have any noise coming from it, but should I still rebuild it since it and what parts will I need? or just leave it alone since it's not making any noise yet?

2. I need to know from those who have put new header on what you ended up needing as far as bolts and I know I need manifold gaskets, but what beyond that?

Since they are from stock M3, headers should bolt right up with exhaust?

Here are the headers;

Header #
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...TqHdF/$_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNj...TqHdH/$_57.JPG

I will soak all bolts a day before doing this too.

I Needs a chip too. Shifts early anyone try this one from eBay yet? Some state +25hp and another +18hp with chip and later shift points.

Thanks for any help that can be shed on putting headers on would be great!

Last edited by Aceprowler; 11-13-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2014, 10:47 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Leave the VANOS alone unless it's making noise or causing problems.

And you'll have to weld in block-off plates for the OBD2 secondary air pump ports on your M3 headers.

Don't bother with eBay chips. An improper tune can destroy an engine, and I certainly wouldn't trust my engine to some random dude in China or Russia or wherever those chips come from.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 11-13-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Leave the VANOS alone unless it's making noise or causing problems.

And you'll have to weld in block-off plates for the OBD2 secondary air pump ports on your M3 headers.

Don't bother with eBay chips. An improper tune can destroy an engine, and I certainly wouldn't trust my engine to some random dude in China or Russia or wherever those chips come from.
Thanks, what was thinking on the vanos.

The air pump ports are already welded shut as well.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:25 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceprowler View Post
The air pump ports are already welded shut as well.
Oh, so you must've done that after you took the photo posted above?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 AM

OMG.. I'm retarded, thought you meant o2 sensor bungs, I didn't even see those in between exhaust ports there!

Glad you pointed that out, thanks a bunch man!

Ordered new Rubber Grommets (15) for Valve Cover Bolts.

Those are the correct size to bolt right up to my original exhaust?

Want to get this done and then figure out what I want to do with rest of the exhaust and figured I'm already going to be under there, why not free up some weight from heavy metal headers to these light ones.

I'm going to order new mounting bolts for exhaust flange (flange gaskets) and looks like the headers too (bolt # 18-30-1-737-774-M58) seems like I need 24 for headers and 6 for the exhaust flange. Is this right? and is or are there other bolts I should order as well? Do I need washers to go onto the headers?

Just wanting to make sure I have everything for project.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by Aceprowler; 11-14-2014 at 09:19 AM.