Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Bad spark plugs

I just wanted to make this thread for you guys. I will be doing my spark plugs this weekend. My cars been misfiring from 2nd to 3rd lately and 3rd to 4th a bit. Upon restart car is fine. I switched the ignition coils and still misfires in same cylinder. The spark plugs I have are the OEM NGK ones and have about 45k miles on them. I will take pics of the old vs new so we can all take a look at what kind of stress they've been under w/ the power my engine has. Should be pretty interesting!.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,069
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I just wanted to make this thread for you guys. I will be doing my spark plugs this weekend. My cars been misfiring from 2nd to 3rd lately and 3rd to 4th a bit. Upon restart car is fine. I switched the ignition coils and still misfires in same cylinder. The spark plugs I have are the OEM NGK ones and have about 45k miles on them. I will take pics of the old vs new so we can all take a look at what kind of stress they've been under w/ the power my engine has. Should be pretty interesting!.
Remember what I said a while back about going one range colder on the plugs ? Maybe that`s what it`s asking for....

P.S.: Check the gaps on the old plugs to see if they all remained constant, or if some of them closed up a bit....
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....

Last edited by Fast Bob; 09-17-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Remember what I said a while back about going one range colder on the plugs ? Maybe that`s what it`s asking for....

P.S.: Check the gaps on the old plugs to see if they all remained constant, or if some of them closed up a bit....
Yeah I might want to go with the one step colder ones your right. But I already have OEMs that have been sitting in my closet for months. I might as well use the ones that are free first ya know? lol.

I will definitely look at the gaps. I will post pics so we can all take a look and see whats happening with them.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
av98's Avatar
av98 av98 is offline
ZHP = Patlabor
Location: SF Bay Area
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,340
Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
It may have closed from the carbon build up

One thing you might want to get Mal is a egt sensor just to see how hot your exhaust gets.

I remember when I ran rich on my MR2 SC it melted my cat's diaphragm inside during a track day. Also why I had to switch to a test pipe during track days.

Plus when you over-rev/bounce rev-liter or pre-detonate a combustion chamber, it demolishes the spark plug tip along with it's surrounding ceramic. I'll post pics when I get a chance. This will not only cause a misfire but also overheating.
__________________

Last edited by av98; 09-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2012, 04:07 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
It may have closed from the carbon build up

One thing you might want to get Mal is a egt sensor just to see how hot your exhaust gets.

I remember when I ran rich on my MR2 SC it melted my cat's diaphragm inside during a track day. Also why I had to switch to a test pipe during track days.

Plus when you over-rev/bounce rev-liter or pre-detonate a combustion chamber, it demolishes the spark plug tip along with it's surrounding ceramic. I'll post pics when I get a chance. This will not only cause a misfire but also overheating.
I have no heating issues so thats good lol. I'm sure my exhaust could use some help but I'm not trying to put more money into this car. Just doing simple maintains to keep it running. It only gets driven hard 1-3 days out of the week. The rest of the time I'm driving my Masi to work and home and thats about it.

When my cats go on the bimmer. I'll probably just get the catless headers in replacement. But DIYing headers doesn't look very fun.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
So I got lazy and didn't change them yet. I will soon... and I'll post pics lol.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2012, 01:29 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
here they are. My old spark plugs from when I fist installed the supercharger. They have about 45k miles on them.

__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 10-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2012, 06:01 PM
chansta chansta is offline
Learning Daily
Location: SOCAL
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 265
Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
definitely should use colder plugs with the increase in cylinder pressure/temperature.

ur gonna need to do plugs more often than you think with that jump in power. new n54 engines with twin turbo require plug changes every 50,000 miles or so i believe... as opposed to the n52 (naturally aspirated) recommend every 100,000.
__________________
iATN
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chansta View Post
definitely should use colder plugs with the increase in cylinder pressure/temperature.

ur gonna need to do plugs more often than you think with that jump in power. new n54 engines with twin turbo require plug changes every 50,000 miles or so i believe... as opposed to the n52 (naturally aspirated) recommend every 100,000.
I know, I want to do one step colder plugs and I will eventually. But I got more OEM spec NGKs for free so I put them in.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 PM
heztheone heztheone is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lebanon (The Country)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,424
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
wouldn't it be better to use ngk iridium spark plugs ?
__________________


Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-24-2012, 11:37 AM
TrippinBimmer's Avatar
TrippinBimmer TrippinBimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ridgeland, MS
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 666
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Mein Auto: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
OMG running stock plugs? Would have swap them long time ago and used NGK copper resistor less plugs and one step colder as well. Gap around .27
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
OMG running stock plugs? Would have swap them long time ago and used NGK copper resistor less plugs and one step colder as well. Gap around .27
Yup I would of also. But I figured I'll use stock since they were free and the other ones worked fine as well.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 PM
TrippinBimmer's Avatar
TrippinBimmer TrippinBimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ridgeland, MS
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 666
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Mein Auto: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Engine won't be happy
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 PM
marlin1881 marlin1881 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 937
Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Yup I would of also. But I figured I'll use stock since they were free and the other ones worked fine as well.
You realize that we're going to hassle you appropriately until you put in the right plugs...

Sell your new ones to another fester. I'm sure somebody needs them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
Engine won't be happy
Engines fine. You know E46Mango right?. Ask him how the internals of my engine look. Best looking engine around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1881 View Post
You realize that we're going to hassle you appropriately until you put in the right plugs...

Sell your new ones to another fester. I'm sure somebody needs them.
New ones are aleady in it's to late

p.s. You guys do know the stage 1 kits come with OEM spark plugs right?. Granted I am far past stage 1 I'm just making a statement that the OEM plugs can take a beating and don't do that bad.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 10-24-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM
ECSTuning's Avatar
ECSTuning ECSTuning is offline
Instructor of the Stig™
Location: Wadsworth, Ohio
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,912
Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Those really don't look as terrible as I was expecting. Did that clear up your miss issue?
__________________

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is offline
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 34,069
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Engines fine. You know E46Mango right?. Ask him how the internals of my engine look. Best looking engine around.



New ones are aleady in it's to late

p.s. You guys do know the stage 1 kits come with OEM spark plugs right?. Granted I am far past stage 1 I'm just making a statement that the OEM plugs can take a beating and don't do that bad.
Just for hahas, did you by any chance measure the gaps on those used plugs, and compare them to whatever it was when you first installed them ? On FI engines, increased combustion chamber pressures sometimes closes up the gaps a little....
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM
nivo nivo is offline
Registered User
Location: Worcester, Ma
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: 330Ci ZHP
Compared to a single electrode spark plug the multi-tipped spark plugs don't do any better performance wise. They have multiple electrodes because OEMs want long lasting plugs.

With multi-tipped spark plugs the firing of the electrodes alternate so the point of lowest resistance always gets the spark jump. Now as it starts to wear the shortest electrode distance is where the spark will jump from. So when the end of life of the plug comes about the car will start to miss fire as all 4 electrodes are worn. Remember that this design spark plug is designed so the center electrode fires from the side edge. once that is worn the plug becomes harder to fire and replacement is necessary.

I chose to run regular copper V grove NGK 4644 spark plugs over the BKR7EIX. I have had luck with the 4644's with over 400whp and they are cheap.
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=266683&dateline=1327952707
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM
TrippinBimmer's Avatar
TrippinBimmer TrippinBimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ridgeland, MS
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 666
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Mein Auto: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Not all kits recommend running stock plugs when FI. Maybe on the VF stage one kit but its very low boost compare to others.

MangoE46 took the head off and look inside the motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivo View Post
I chose to run regular copper V grove NGK 4644 spark plugs over the BKR7EIX. I have had luck with the 4644's with over 400whp and they are cheap.
X2. And it's only 9bux to replace everytime...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
MalibuMafiaV's Avatar
MalibuMafiaV MalibuMafiaV is offline
L4P
Location: Malibu, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11,467
Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Just for hahas, did you by any chance measure the gaps on those used plugs, and compare them to whatever it was when you first installed them ? On FI engines, increased combustion chamber pressures sometimes closes up the gaps a little....
No I didn't unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivo View Post
Compared to a single electrode spark plug the multi-tipped spark plugs don't do any better performance wise. They have multiple electrodes because OEMs want long lasting plugs.

With multi-tipped spark plugs the firing of the electrodes alternate so the point of lowest resistance always gets the spark jump. Now as it starts to wear the shortest electrode distance is where the spark will jump from. So when the end of life of the plug comes about the car will start to miss fire as all 4 electrodes are worn. Remember that this design spark plug is designed so the center electrode fires from the side edge. once that is worn the plug becomes harder to fire and replacement is necessary.

I chose to run regular copper V grove NGK 4644 spark plugs over the BKR7EIX. I have had luck with the 4644's with over 400whp and they are cheap.
Good to know. I'll check those out, thanks Nivo.
__________________
http://www.luxury4play.com
BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms