Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix M-Sport
"Flapper" Valve in my exhaust

I'm not sure which models have them and which don't, but, I do know that my 550IX has a "flapper" valve in one of the exhaust outlets. Anyone know exactly how it works and whether or not it can be coded?

p.s. Thanks to all of you guys that have helped me to get to the point where I am able to "code" my car.
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmkoester View Post
I'm not sure which models have them and which don't, but, I do know that my 550IX has a "flapper" valve in one of the exhaust outlets. Anyone know exactly how it works and whether or not it can be coded?

p.s. Thanks to all of you guys that have helped me to get to the point where I am able to "code" my car.
The Exhaust Flapper Valve is standard in all V8 F10's, but I have no idea if it is codeable or not. I would think a muffler shop could force it open or closed full time depending on how you wanted it.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535ix MSport w/ Dot
If it's like my old 330 its vacuum actuated, if you want to keep it open you just remove the hose and plug it
Old 10-25-2012, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550ix M-Sport
Since nothing is simple anymore, I figured that BMW used vacuum for the energy to open the valve, but, still utilized a electrically controlled solenoid valve to control when it opens. Oh well, I'll give it a go and let you know.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
It is a butterfly valve. It cannot be coded as it runs off the vacuum pump. Search the golf tee method for plugging the vaccum hose. Some people have also just used a large nail through the butterfly valve to hold it continuously open. It sounds much more aggressive.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: M135i
In my F21 M135i ist is not vacuum controlled it is electrical, pulling the cable forces it to stay open. Found something in DME-Module will try to edit it
Old 01-27-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwessen View Post
In my F21 M135i ist is not vacuum controlled it is electrical, pulling the cable forces it to stay open. Found something in DME-Module will try to edit it
Let us know if progress is made!

Regards

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350