Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i
Windshield Wiper Stuck

I have been looking since yesterday in hopes someone else could point me in the right direction, but decided to post since I can't find one that matches. So, here goes my first thread.

Yesterday, while I was driving in mild rain, the driver's side wiper all of a sudden got stick at about the 2 o'clock position. At the same time, the passengers's side wiper did not move. It was like they became disjointed and no longer operated synchronously. Since I was in the rain, I stopped as soon as I could and hoped a restart would reset the wipers. No such luck. I had no choice but to drive with the wiper in the middle of my windshield.

When I had more time, I was able to push it down so I could at least see the road. However, I don't know what else to do at this point. Is it the wiper motor? Some fuse? I have read about a drain plug causing some wiper issues, but don't know where to look.

This is my first self repair of my 540, so I hope it's not too bad. I don't want to have the mechanic look at it as I am convinced I can do it myself. But, I need some help and appreciate any ideas you can throw my way.
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM
wat's dat noise

Mein Auto: '04 525i
i'd guess a dislocated joint in the wiper linkage.you really have to open em up to see the cause.unlikely the motor though coz,like u mentioned,they are out of synch.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 528i, 2002 540i
I had this happen as well and found the wiper arm had not been tightened down enough after having the windshield replaced. If you can move the wiper arm, chances are it is loose on the spindle. Get it where you think it should be, partially tighten and cycle the wipers to make sure they don't hit and stop where you want them. Then tighten it down fully. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 AM

After a quick look, it appears as though the arm has come off the spindle. I won't have time to fix it before the weekend, but I will update after I do. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM

I did some work on it this past weekend and found out the wiper control carrier has a broken spindle on the right (passenger) side. Thankfully, it is a part I received from the previous owner so I don't have to buy one. Now, all I have to do is install it. Good thing the Thanksgiving holiday is coming up.