Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Dinan Stage 2

Taking advantage of the 15% discount offering till the end of this month.

Scheduled for tomorrow at 1300. Can't wait. I'm like a child on Christmas Eve.

Will post my review after some wheel time with it. I'm sure it won't disappoint!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
"I'm fresh, I'm fly, I'm so damn high, more than 500 horses when I roll by"

- Lloyd Banks


501 horses to be exact. But its not so much the HP. It's the 580 ft/lbs of torque that made me re-taste my breakfast every time I stepped on the accelerator. Dinan Stage 2 turns the car into an absolute beastly missile.

If you think the car is fast stock, which it is, Dinan Stage 2 will knock your socks off.

The car is ready to lurch from a standstill, jumping every time I tap the gas just begging me to floor it. The car and gas pedal just have an overall "light" feel. No more delay either. I don't know if its in my head, but car seems to sound louder too. Was on the phone with my friend and he said he heard me takeoff. Windows were closed.

Highly recommended if you have the extra dough lying around. This came at a huge price for me. I promised my wife that I would sell my highly customized sport bike if I can get the Stage 2. Well worth it... And I love that bike. The 15% discount cuts about $500 bucks off the price tag. If you plan on doing it eventually, now is no better time than ever.

Thanks to Prestige BMW in Ramsey, NJ for the install.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 PM
avus9 avus9 is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: 550i GT
Great reading this!
I'm a current 550i GT owner, with the Stage 2 upgrade as well (same engine). It so happens that I plan on switching over to a leftover 2012 650i my dealer has.
The DINAN tune transformed my 550i GT, I can only imagine how much better it would be in the lighter, more nimble 6series...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 PM
sherif gordon sherif gordon is offline
Registered User
Location: Oakville, Ontario. Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: bmw 650i 2012 cabrio
Does it really makes that big difference, I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade to Dinan I feel that the numbers they claim in power and tourque gain is exaggerated
What do you think
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by avus9 View Post
Great reading this!
I'm a current 550i GT owner, with the Stage 2 upgrade as well (same engine). It so happens that I plan on switching over to a leftover 2012 650i my dealer has.
The DINAN tune transformed my 550i GT, I can only imagine how much better it would be in the lighter, more nimble 6series...
Oh it's absolutely amazing. I haven't had this feeling since delivery. I thought this thing was fast out of the box but I'm completely blown away now. I had to run some errands after I got my flash and every time I got out of the car, all I can think about was getting back in. I haven't even fully gunned it yet!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherif gordon View Post
Does it really makes that big difference, I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade to Dinan I feel that the numbers they claim in power and tourque gain is exaggerated
What do you think
Thanks
I will be the first to admit regret after a huge purchase but this has to be one of the best all time upgrades to car one can get.

I cannot speak intelligently about the actual numbers that the car was putting out stock and what it is putting out now after the flash. My butt dyno, however, is telling me that this is completely different car. I'm not sure what else I can say that I haven't already said in post #2 but I do know that Dinan has been in the business for over 30 years and has an awesome reputation to maintain. Therefore, I went on faith that his numbers are as accurate as possible. I suppose a real dyno can determine that and being that Stage 2 is so expensive, I would venture to say that they would not being doing all the R&D (along with the cost) if they consistently had unhappy customers.

And if you don't believe me or Dinan, just scour the Boards for other Stage 2 reviews. I'm pretty sure I have never come across a negative review for it.

I just can't imagine anyone being disappointed in it. If you do find a negative review though, I would love to read it and see what the complaint is.

I hope this helps


Edit - I think there is only one other F12/13 owner on here that got the Stage 2 months ago (that I know of). He loves it too . I have absolutely no affiliation with Dinan other than being a happy customer.

Last edited by Itinj6; 10-26-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 AM
EmM HoLLa's Avatar
EmM HoLLa EmM HoLLa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern, VA
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 550
Mein Auto: BMW
With the flash are there any differences as far as comfort, Sport, and sport + modes?..
__________________
2012 650i
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
With the flash are there any differences as far as comfort, Sport, and sport + modes?..
My findings:

The only difference I can tell between all the different modes is that in Comfort/Comfort+, the flash removes the delay on accelerating from a stop. I believe they call this the tip-in delay. I know it's not as prominent in the N63 cars but I did notice it before. I believe the car was starting in 2nd gear. Now it starts in 1st regardless of driving mode.

With the flash, you still get the jump/downshift when going to Sport/Sport+. You still get a further downshift when going to Sport mode on the transmission selector. Nothing seemed to change with the steering and suspension settings.

Another thing I noticed is that this flash loves to hold gears. I had one of the gears holding at 5 - 5.5K RPM at low speed for a couple seconds. Good if you need to get out of sticky situation.

Overall, the car just feels like it instantly shaved 1,000 lbs.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific question, fire away

Last edited by Itinj6; 10-26-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Also to add, i believe the exhaust valves work the same way as stock. Open for Sport/Sport+ and closed for Comfort/Comfort+.

I can't visually inspect because the car won't allow me to as it has to be in "Drive" but I do hear them opening and closing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
sherif gordon sherif gordon is offline
Registered User
Location: Oakville, Ontario. Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: bmw 650i 2012 cabrio
Wink

Thank u so much for your detailed reply
enjoy your beast
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM
southern6er22's Avatar
southern6er22 southern6er22 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mobile, AL
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,547
Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
If you keep going on like this, I think your wife and beloved active cruise control are going to get a tad jealous. Just an observation...
__________________

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:25 PM
djsaad1 djsaad1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: austin
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 701
Mein Auto: range rover
Would the dealer allow this on a leased car? Or does this void the warranty? On the other hand would the dealer even know?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 PM
ShakeDaddy's Avatar
ShakeDaddy ShakeDaddy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I'm waiting for the Dinan tune for the 2013 engine. Based upon the 2012 Dinan release I'm anticipating availibility in the spring of 2014.

I feel this is a really a great upgrade if not the best being backed by the BMW warranty and installed at the dealer just in case you run into code errors, air/fuel mixture issues or transmission woes. Of all the reviews from people who have actually done this the Dinan upgrade is nothing but impressive. Besides eventually moving over to Non Run Flats this will likely be my only other bolt-on this beautiful work of art.

Hey Intinj6 were there any dealer comments or suggestions on the Dinan?
__________________
2013 650i Coupe
Imola Red
BMS JB+ Stage 1
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20 373 Wheels
Nitto 555ZR-Extreme NON-RFT
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeDaddy View Post
Hey Intinj6 were there any dealer comments or suggestions on the Dinan?
I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand this question. I was speaking with their Dinan Specialist for most of the short time I was there. He basically said to just enjoy the tune, which I am doing immensely.

By the way, my car is a lease. My sales manager said it was perfectly fine to install the Stage 2. The only thing is I would be out the tune and the money for it at lease end. No biggie. It's only 1000 bux/year to enjoy it (assuming a three year lease). I had the tune done at a BMW dealership (Prestige BMW). They are an authorized Dinan dealer. The dealership that I bought my car at (Park Ave BMW) is not. There are also Indy's that are authorized Dinan dealers. If there is a problem with warranty and BMW, Dinan covers the bill. At Prestige BMW, they had a brand new 550i that already had a Stage 3 installed. They highly advocate it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-27-2012, 05:40 AM
JONNYCHIRO JONNYCHIRO is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,183
Mein Auto: 2014 M6
Coolio
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-27-2012, 05:59 AM
hammadurb hammadurb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Would the dealer allow this on a leased car? Or does this void the warranty? On the other hand would the dealer even know?
It does not void your warranty and you can do it on a leased car, I had Stage I on my F02 lease.
__________________
2013 BMW M5

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille


12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM
mrjoed2 mrjoed2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,391
Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Seems it would kind of make sense to install Dinan upgrade on a purchased car more than a lease. You are walking away from $3000 when you turn the car in.
And it will be interesting to see what the stage 2 upgrade does for the valvetronic upgraded '13 engine.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 AM
ShakeDaddy's Avatar
ShakeDaddy ShakeDaddy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 817
Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand this question. I was speaking with their Dinan Specialist for most of the short time I was there. He basically said to just enjoy the tune, which I am doing immensely.

By the way, my car is a lease. My sales manager said it was perfectly fine to install the Stage 2. The only thing is I would be out the tune and the money for it at lease end. No biggie. It's only 1000 bux/year to enjoy it (assuming a three year lease). I had the tune done at a BMW dealership (Prestige BMW). They are an authorized Dinan dealer. The dealership that I bought my car at (Park Ave BMW) is not. There are also Indy's that are authorized Dinan dealers. If there is a problem with warranty and BMW, Dinan covers the bill. At Prestige BMW, they had a brand new 550i that already had a Stage 3 installed. They highly advocate it.
You might end up liking the car so much with the Stage 2 that buying the car after your lease becomes a reality....just never know.

Without any tune warrenty issues this is such a cool thing and if I do keep the car after 50K miles that buying the extended makes even more sense considering the increased HP/TQ does tend to wear on other parts more. I wonder if the transmission will have any long term effects or if it's the same transmission as the M6. If this is the case we have a hell of a car on our hands with the 650i !!!
__________________
2013 650i Coupe
Imola Red
BMS JB+ Stage 1
Dinan Shockware
Individual Leather
Merino Opal White
M-Sport
20 373 Wheels
Nitto 555ZR-Extreme NON-RFT
Full LED lighting
Piano Finish Black Trim
Ceramic Controls
Imola Red M6 Spoiler
Imola Red Diffuser

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-27-2012, 10:43 AM
mrjoed2 mrjoed2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,391
Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
That's not a bad idea, buying it at end of lease. In my case, I can't use the USAA program with a lease, and I won't be putting alot miles on this car anyway. And I do believe the tranny is different in the M6. It's a 7 speed dual clutch, not a 8 speed auto as in the 650. This is a hell of a car even without the Dinan. Not many cars put out 480lb torque !
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
My wife spends way more than $1,000 per year on Starbucks alone lol (Actually, right around 2K). Just think about the small stuff that costs you in the long run and then the Dinan looks like a hell of a bargain lol.

Anyways there might be some negative affects to tuning motors on purchased cars too. You may gain more use if you keep the car longer, however, I for one wouldn't buy a used car with engine performance mods. I know those weren't upgraded for looks and then you have to worry about the car being beat on. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way and let's face it, the 650i isn't generally shopped by young kids. It is generally shopped by mature adults. That cuts a huge % of potential buyers. With a lease, I don't have to worry about finding a buyer.

Either way, you have to pay to play and I will enjoy it for the time being

Last edited by Itinj6; 10-27-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-27-2012, 04:24 PM
mrjoed2 mrjoed2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,391
Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
My wife spends way more than $1,000 per year on Starbucks alone lol (Actually, right around 2K). Just think about the small stuff that costs you in the long run and then the Dinan looks like a hell of a bargain lol.

Anyways there might be some negative affects to tuning motors on purchased cars too. You may gain more use if you keep the car longer, however, I for one wouldn't buy a used car with engine performance mods. I know those weren't upgraded for looks and then you have to worry about the car being beat on. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way and let's face it, the 650i isn't generally shopped by young kids. It is generally shopped by mature adults. That cuts a huge % of potential buyers. With a lease, I don't have to worry about finding a buyer.

Either way, you have to pay to play and I will enjoy it for the time being
Good point -enjoy it !
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-28-2012, 11:38 AM
hammadurb hammadurb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa, FL
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
You may gain more use if you keep the car longer, however, I for one wouldn't buy a used car with engine performance mods. I know those weren't upgraded for looks and then you have to worry about the car being beat on. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way and let's face it, the 650i isn't generally shopped by young kids. It is generally shopped by mature adults. That cuts a huge % of potential buyers. With a lease, I don't have to worry about finding a buyer.
Based on my experience with the F02 tuning, I wouldn't keep a car around for too long after it's tuned. The 7 was tuned at about ~30k miles on it. At 62k, both turbos had to be replaced, engine had to be taken out then taken apart to clean out carbon deposits. They also replaced two fuel injectors. If I didn't have the extended warranty, the cost of the repairs would have been over $25k. I only paid a $53.50 for the deductible and I was gone. They said that the damage wasn't due directly because of the tune but it put more stress on the turbos and they cracked. The warranty for the Dinan work would have expired the same time as the new car warranty and it wouldn't have helped. Thank god for the extended warranty.

Regardless of my past experience, I would still like to get the Stage II done on my car. The only problem I face now is that I am at just under 19K miles and roughly 5 months of ownership. I will be at around 45-50k miles just before my first year. I would normally buy the extended warranty and maintenance and it comes in at around $6.5k. I could potentially put that money towards a down payment for a new car then I would start fresh with new miles and warranty. Because of this, I have put the thought of tuning it on hold.

At any rate, I can only imagine the joy Itinj6 is going through right now. The acceleration after the tuning leaves you breathless. It was astonishing in the 7 and in the 6, it must be blisteringly fast!

Here is the post from the 7 forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...624&highlight=
__________________
2013 BMW M5

Alpine White - Silverstone II Extended Merino Leather - Driver Assistance Package - Executive Package - 20" M light alloy wheels Style 343M - Bang & Olufsen Sound System - M Performance Black Kidney Grille


12 650i / 09 750li / 06 750li / 03 745li / 00 540i
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammadurb View Post
Based on my experience with the F02 tuning, I wouldn't keep a car around for too long after it's tuned. The 7 was tuned at about ~30k miles on it. At 62k, both turbos had to be replaced, engine had to be taken out then taken apart to clean out carbon deposits. They also replaced two fuel injectors. If I didn't have the extended warranty, the cost of the repairs would have been over $25k. I only paid a $53.50 for the deductible and I was gone. They said that the damage wasn't due directly because of the tune but it put more stress on the turbos and they cracked. The warranty for the Dinan work would have expired the same time as the new car warranty and it wouldn't have helped. Thank god for the extended warranty.

Regardless of my past experience, I would still like to get the Stage II done on my car. The only problem I face now is that I am at just under 19K miles and roughly 5 months of ownership. I will be at around 45-50k miles just before my first year. I would normally buy the extended warranty and maintenance and it comes in at around $6.5k. I could potentially put that money towards a down payment for a new car then I would start fresh with new miles and warranty. Because of this, I have put the thought of tuning it on hold.

At any rate, I can only imagine the joy Itinj6 is going through right now. The acceleration after the tuning leaves you breathless. It was astonishing in the 7 and in the 6, it must be blisteringly fast!

Here is the post from the 7 forum:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...624&highlight=
Exactly my point. Even if I can only enjoy the tune for the three year lease and then all is lost, I don't have to worry about any negative side effects from the tune. Just return the car and its a wrap! Don't have to worry about resale either with all the problems it may cause.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 PM
JONNYCHIRO JONNYCHIRO is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Tampa FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,183
Mein Auto: 2014 M6
Have you factored in the likely probability that you'll **** up your vehicle way before the lease turn in date?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONNYCHIRO View Post
Have you factored in the likely probability that you'll **** up your vehicle way before the lease turn in date?
Actually... I did lol. Not even kidding!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms