Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
2007 335i fuel injectors

Hi everyone, i apologize if this topic was covered already...

I have a 2007 335i which i bought in april of 2010. About a week after i had it the engine failed and bmw replaced all 6 fuel injectors....

fast forward to 10/12 (about 2 and a half years later) and i had a similar issue. took the car in and bmw says that they replaced 1 fuel injector.

My question is - why would the injectors go bad already?? and if one went bad - should i expect the other 5 to go bad now? My cpo warranty is up in february so i want to get all the kinks out now ....

i was hoping to keep this car for a couple more years, but should i just trade it in for a new one now for fear of more issues?

thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
There was a fuel injector recall. It sounds like all six of your injectors were subject to recall and replaced.

The more recent failure might just be due to bad luck. Ask your dealer if they can explain why the injector failed.

Can you get an extended warranty for a CPO car? If so, consider it.

Frederic
Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Air, our cars have injectors which function unlike most installed in gasoline engines. They inject the fuel into each cylinder just as peak compression pressures are being generated. In fact, they still are injecting after the mix is lit off. So doing requires them to work at 2K to 3K psi, unlike 40-60 psi of other cars. In addition the mechanism which causes the valve in each injector to open is actually a piezoelectric crystal. Somewhat delicate for the task. Common injectors use electromagnets which are reasonably bullet proof.

As you can see, there's opportunities for things to go wrong, especially if the injectors are not made exactly to spec as apparently happened on a rather large early batch. Even when things are right, things go wrong. The overall design may not hold up for a hundred K, early reports are of significant failure rates. I fully expect to have to change them on my car at some point. Sickly, I'm looking forward to it, but at least I own a shop and like messing with engines.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Thanks for your responses guys - I appreciate it.

Dsx - do you think the fact that one failed means there is a greater chance of the other 5 failing ?

Should BMW of just changed all of them at once or is that wishful thinking ?
Old 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHooo View Post
Thanks for your responses guys - I appreciate it.

Dsx - do you think the fact that one failed means there is a greater chance of the other 5 failing ?

Should BMW of just changed all of them at once or is that wishful thinking ?
"Should"? Is that a question of business practice, law or probability? Your chance of continued failure is probably no higher than that of the rest of us. That "should" answer your question.