Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest Regional > Regional Forums > California

California

Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: WTB 3 or 5 series
Looking to try a used BMW in SoCal before buying new one.

Hey guys,

I will be moving to LA to do a Masters program in August, and am looking to spend between $5000-7000 to try out a BMW for a few years before I get a job and actually get a new one.

I have been looking at craigslist LA and found a few propositions, though was wondering if anyone knew any other good resources to look for and any suggestions as to the car I should get.

I don't have much experience with the LA area though I do have a reasonable understanding about cars mechanically, so I can spot issues if they are obvious. Found this one, and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts - http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...577705410.html

TL;DR - Looking to get a Bimmer for around 5-7 grand for 2 or 3 years before actually getting a new one._a__a2_
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2014, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5-spd sport pkg
....that part about acquiring a Bimmer before you land a job- unless you have a couple of bags of money laying around I'd suggest you get the job 1st, then the German road rocket.....they will always be a available.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: WTB 3 or 5 series
Guess I'll abide by that piece of advice, and wait it out.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 98 528i 5-spd sport pkg
Any prospective employer will hire you, good decision!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
If you buy a used BMW, be prepared to put $1000-$2000 into it to get it back into good operating condition, unless you want to take your chances so far as reliability goes; some do. If you're interested in the E46 (which is probably what you'll get at the price you have in mind), consult the Wiki on the E46; it's E46 subforum.

Auto Trader is a good website for finding used cars anywhere. You'll find dozens and dozens and dozens of used BMWs for sale in southern California, many of them in your price range.

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs