Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 01 bmw 325i and 96 328is
shifting issues

ok so im sure a couple of you have seen my post about my car issue but im stuck between 2 diff thoughts as to whats wrong. here's what happened. i was driving down the interstate when i started going up a slight incline when it felt like my clutch slipped and the rpms reved up as if i were in neutral i realeased the gas and attempted to downshift but it was the same thing in each gear eventually i reached the top. i was at 20 mph and down shifted to second and it caught i worked my way back to 5th and then hit another incline where it did the same thing. eventually i made my way back to town where i came to a stop light and could smell the clutch cooking. i then took off in first shifted to second but when it was time to go to third the motor just continued to rev up with no acceleration. so i pulled over checked my fluids everything was fine. i was sure it was the clutch but then today my friend who was helping explained that the lack of pressure was due to something else so i started my research once again and found that me being able to shift between gears and not hold the clutch in could be due to my slave cylinder being bad so we inspected it and there were no leaks and we then attempted to bleed the system but the fluid just flowed out not spew like it has for any other clutch system ive bled. now i dont know if its normal or not this is my first bmw attempting to diagnose. so i ordered a new slave cylinder and it will be in tomorrow. the thing is i just went out to tighten up the shifter in my fiances 2000 bmw and while tightening it up her shifter shifted into any gear just like mine so i feel like my friend may have been wrong of his diagnosis. although mine shifts the same way with the car running and there is pressure on the clutch it doesnt feel like much cause im used to a tighter clutch set up but i pushed on my buddies and realized his was just as soft so i may have been wrong in thinking there was no tension. but im inexperienced in this aspect and he is too when it comes to a bmw so any insight would be helpful in locating the source before i pay for anymore parts i do not indeed need.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Bimmer App
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Usually when the slave cylinder fails it keeps the clutch from disengaging, it doesn't cause it to slip. To cause a slip the slave would have keep the clutch from releasing fully.
Have you noticed any oil leaks coming from the area where the transmission mates to the engine? A leaking engine rear main seal can get oil onto the clutch disk and cause a bit time slippage.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:22 AM

there havnt been and fluids leaking from the motor although the atf resevoir looks like a mess like it was leaking but its stayed full.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 PM

well i read this post and it made alot of sense and makes me believe i was right with my first assuption of the clutch being bad.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1109406&page=2

Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
well if you were going up an incline when this happened, then i would think the clutch was slipping. especially since you mentioned that it smelled.

putting another slave cylinder in will most likely do nothing but make your wallet lighter. i believe that you are going to be needing a clutch job in the very near future, unless you are able to avoid such inclines.

df
Old 11-19-2012, 07:49 PM

lol it doesnt drive anymore since i had to go up those three hills it died abd ive been trying to diagnose what exactly was wrong i knew it had something to do with the clutch system but just not exactly which component i had already ordered a new clutch kit and am prepared to put it in but was trying to make sure that it wasnt something else i needed to replace before i get everything done and realize i need to take it all back apart for something else you know

Old 12-12-2012, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 318 is coupe
I had a similar issue...it was my synchronizer. I had this replaced a few weeks back and its shifting beautifully!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Synchro only helps it get into gear. If he's fully engaged and loses clutch traction on an incline, the clutch is bad and needs to be replaced.

If I had to guess: your rear main seal is leaking and you have oil all over your clutch.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: A redhead E90
well there's one way of diagnosing both of those theories, pull the bellhousing inspection plug and look. either way to replace one or the other the trans has to come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
  • '06 325xi 6MT
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 325i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Synchro only helps it get into gear. If he's fully engaged and loses clutch traction on an incline, the clutch is bad and needs to be replaced.

If I had to guess: your rear main seal is leaking and you have oil all over your clutch.
This x 2...

1994 325i (current)
2006 325i (current)
1995 525i
1990 325i
1988 Jetta 8v
1987 Gti 16v

1985 Jaguar Xj6
1984 Jaguar Xj6
1966 Mustang
1965 Falcon Wagon
1961 Buick Special