Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
NEed Help: Sponge ate some paint

Hey whats up fella's.

I read a few of the 'scratches' posts however I did not find anything exactly the same.

I recently (like an idiot) used a sponge on my car which is a kitchen scrubbing sponge with a scotch brite abrasive side on it. I had a few dried up bugs that were hard to remove and so i took this sponge to my paints grave... Luckily I noticed it happening fairly quickly and only have about 3 minor spots to fix..

The scratches are not very deep, however definitely are noticeable when you get close.

What is the best way to fix my paint without going to the detailer? Are there any products that you guys would recommend/where to get them?

Has anyone else done this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

soooo mad that this happened!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scratches.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	348489   Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch3.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	348490   Click image for larger version

Name:	sponge:scratcher.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	348491  
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
that is some deep marring on the paint. You should be able to polish out most of it but your going to have to take it to a professional who knows what he's doing.

Keep the sponge in the kitchen and use a sheepskin mitt to clean the car. If you have stuck on bugs, take a fleece blanket that you don't mind messing up, soak it in a solution of carwash soap (the stuff you normally use) and drape it over the front 1 hr before you start washing. The bugs will rehydrate and be easier to remove.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
that is some deep marring on the paint. You should be able to polish out most of it but your going to have to take it to a professional who knows what he's doing.

Keep the sponge in the kitchen and use a sheepskin mitt to clean the car. If you have stuck on bugs, take a fleece blanket that you don't mind messing up, soak it in a solution of carwash soap (the stuff you normally use) and drape it over the front 1 hr before you start washing. The bugs will rehydrate and be easier to remove.
Thanks for the reply/advice,

I took the car into the BMW dealership today and they said they could get most of the scratches out on the metal but the one on the sideskirt might be tough b/c it's plastic.

The detailer advised me to get a full exterior detail done for $129, which is unfortunate but getting it done right and going to the professional I think will be my best bet.

Defintely the last time I make that mistake, but I will definetely use that fleece blanket idea in the future!

thanks again.

Not driving your car to enjoy it is like not having sex with your girlfriend because you want to leave it in good shape for the next guy.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
A full exterior detail (polish) $129...no really?
Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
A good polishing should take that out, it looks much worse than it is, trust me I've seen this before. At this point I would look for a good detailers to do this. But you could do it yourself. If that's the case then some elbow grease with a decent polish will take care of it.

That said for bug removal there are many products on the market that can accomplish this. The one that I use on my details is Poorboys World Bug Squash

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
A full exterior detail (polish) $129...no really?
It was a wax and polish + he got rid of all the scratches and mars.. he did a great job, car looks brand new so money well spent in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11 View Post
A good polishing should take that out, it looks much worse than it is, trust me I've seen this before. At this point I would look for a good detailers to do this. But you could do it yourself. If that's the case then some elbow grease with a decent polish will take care of it.

That said for bug removal there are many products on the market that can accomplish this. The one that I use on my details is Poorboys World Bug Squash

Yeah I thought others would have heard this problem, I knew I wasn't the first to make that mistake unfortunately.

I'll look into the Poorboys product as well, huge pet peeve of mine are those bugs I can't get off my car.

Thanks for the advice sir

Not driving your car to enjoy it is like not having sex with your girlfriend because you want to leave it in good shape for the next guy.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by silky_Fresh View Post
It was a wax and polish + he got rid of all the scratches and mars.. he did a great job, car looks brand new so money well spent in my book.

Yeah I thought others would have heard this problem, I knew I wasn't the first to make that mistake unfortunately.

I'll look into the Poorboys product as well, huge pet peeve of mine are those bugs I can't get off my car.

Thanks for the advice sir
See if anything comes back in a few weeks, for that price is sounds like you got glazed.

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k