Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 520i
Battery drain 100 per hour and counting

PLEASE HELP NOW BMW STEALERS HAVE HAD MY E39 FOR 3 HOURS AND STILL CANT FIND BATTERY DRAIN. I HAVE PUT IN A NEW HEDGEHOG.
I had the car in to a autoelectric garage before hand for four days and they said "there is no drain on the car it must be the battery" but bmw say "the battery is ok it has a drain of 180" can anyone help?.

Last edited by flintman; 09-24-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
go to www.540i6.com " they all do that" FSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintman View Post
PLEASE HELP NOW BMW STEALERS HAVE HAD MY E39 FOR 3 HOURS AND STILL CANT FIND BATTERY DRAIN. I HAVE PUT IN A NEW HEDGEHOG.
I had the car in to a autoelectric garage before hand for four days and they said "there is no drain on the car it must be the battery" but bmw say "the battery is ok it has a drain of 180" can anyone help?.
is you climate control fan acting strange? wat is Hedgehog? did drain start after you put that in?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM

No the battery has been going flat for over 5 months,a new battery fitted september 12 and again in feb 13.The hegehog is a nickname for the final stage shutdown unit behind the heat control unit it looks like a hedgehog,i only fitted it three weeks ago this is suppose to be the common fault on the e39.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
the hedgehog is the FSU I was mentioning.

did you get part from dealer? If not buy one there and replace,it is the easiest and least expensive thing to do. If part WAS bought from dealer, take it out and return it mustt have a 1 year warranty even in GB
Old 09-24-2013, 11:40 AM

Yes the fsu is the hegehog it was bought from a bmw website not bmw dealer with a 1 year warranty,i spoke to bmw and they said they have tested the fsu and its ok.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: E39 2002 525iT
Ditch the dealer; judging their hourly rate (100/hour (and more) is a normal rate nowadays for the dealer) the only drain they are interested in is the one in your wallet and it can take them ages to find the drain that's causing your battery to go flat. Go find an independent pro instead or do it yourself.

Battery draining equipment I have read of so far are the OEM FSU, non-OEM new FSU (Chinese ripoffs broken by design) , navigation equipment and radio equipment. This can easily be checked by using an ampere meter; normal drain current should be a couple of tens of milli-ampers (mA). A drain of 180'' which I assume is 180mA is way too high. You can either start pullin the navigation or radio to see what happens. Pulling fuses one by one and check for differences is the more systematic way of hunting down the culprit.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:46 PM

yes i think your right about the dealer , ihave taken the car to a autoelectric garage they said no drain on the car? iwill get the car back and find a cheaper option, the air bag light came on 2weeks ago and management light is on bmw dealers have said nothing as to why or whats happend ,only that it takes time to go through the comp, check list, when the car finaly gives up its secret i will post it for others . many thanks
Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Might be your alternator--mine went bad and never brought up a dash light--the voltage regulator was the problem with my alt--the battery would never quiet charge all the way and would slowly discharge
Old 09-24-2013, 01:35 PM

thanks for the info i will make sure its checked out the car does squeak somtimes .

Last edited by flintman; 09-24-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Typing /drain f3 in the VERY best of E39 Links nets the procedure, in detail:
- One user's attempt at locating and snapping a picture of every single fuse & relay in the BMW E39 (1) & the most often recommended method to diagnose overnight parasitic battery current drain including the FSU (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need