Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Audi A6
Stumble when not quite warm

Curious if anyone else is experiencing this. The engine starts and feels great cold. Somewhere between cold and fully warmed up the engine develops a little stumble on light throttle. To those of you of a certain age, it feels like a lean stumble that would have fixed by adjusting the electric choke a notch or two towards "rich". It goes away when the car fully warms up. I wish the car would have a coolant temp gauge rather than an oil temp gauge. Anyway I suspect it is software related. Mine is a 2009 750i.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
My 2009 750Li with 55k miles stumbles when cold

My 750Li stumbles every morning until warm. My workaround is manual shifting at slightly higher points than auto to mitigate the symptom. My local dealer tried 3 times to reproduce the stumble after overnight outside storage without success. I recently bought the car used and could smell a trace of burning oil at most red lights. Turns out both turbos had small oil seal leaks. The seals are fixed, but because I could smell oil burning at every stop light, I wonder if the fumes also found their way to contaminate the MAFs or air filters.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
YES, I have the SAME EXACT problem. Morning startup, drive off, first transmission shift is NOT smooth, car feeling like it speeds up then slows down, pushing you back and then forward in your seat. Please don't tell me this is one the same problems the E65's had with their transmissions! Who else is experiencing same? Anyone know of a solution? First noticed this past winter. Car is now two and a half years old with 22k miles, still occurring in mid-40 degree temperatures...

Last edited by dbs600; 05-07-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 AM

I wanted to post my solution to this thread. I took my car into the dealer and they found a fault code for a failed low pressure fuel sensor. They replaced the sensor and reprogrammed the car. It drives great now, I am very pleased. I am posting this because I had NO Check Engine Light. This apparently is the same sensor that is a problem in the N54 engines. It was replaced with a Bosch sensor. From reading the N54 boards the older sensors (I think Siemens) do not do well with ethanol blended fuels. This is in part the problem with the HPFP in the N54 engines. When the sensor fails, the fail mode turns on the low pressure fuel pump at all times rather than on demand. Wanted to mention it in case anyone else is having this problem.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
So I'm not sure if it's the same problem or not. Here's what I'm experiencing with my new engine (didn't have it with the "old" N63B44).

Sometimes (almost every time but not always) when stopping at a traffic light, so the car is in gear, I do feel that the engine is kind of shuddering slightly - VERY lightly - from time to time in irregular intervals. Now, this is so subtle that I have to really concentrate to feel it (like press my knee to the console, foot on brake, elbow on door etc, all together only then I can feel the engine is not running very smoothly.
Checking the RPM's, it's dead on 550 and not changing at all.

Now, as soon as the AC is turned on, or the car is put in park - so both cases where the rpm's go to 700 - this is gone and the engine is perfectly smooth.

It's not that I'm nitpicking everything but it feels kinda lame to get a brand new (and an LCI!) engine and that something is still not quite perfect and in some way worse than what I had before.

I do remember that the SA mentioned having to order another fuel pressure sensor after the engine installation because it was faulty and gave errors and the engine ran rough.
Now, the engine does run fine other than this subtle shuddering every now and then and I don't know if I should confront them with this...Bet they won't really consider it as a defect..bleh.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:11 PM

My car had developed a driveline shudder or "miss" around 1500 RPM at light throttle. It was most noticeable when climbing a gradual grade with not enough foot into the throttle to make it downshift. It seemed worse when the car was not quite warm on a cold day. After having it fixed the car seems smooth and has much better low RPM torque. I have always had a smooth idle. I was worried that it was the dreaded torque converter shudder and was glad when they found something fixable.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpumroy View Post
My car had developed a driveline shudder or "miss" around 1500 RPM at light throttle. It was most noticeable when climbing a gradual grade with not enough foot into the throttle to make it downshift. It seemed worse when the car was not quite warm on a cold day. After having it fixed the car seems smooth and has much better low RPM torque. I have always had a smooth idle. I was worried that it was the dreaded torque converter shudder and was glad when they found something fixable.
Can you please tell what do you mean with the torque converter shudder?

Old 05-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 740
This is what is goin on with mine when cold...

CEL Code: <118101 Mixture Control 2: Mixture too Lean>
2010 750LXI
50,600mi.
When its cold and at low RPMS (about 25MPH) I can feel is hesitate like its got a misfire (but know misfire code). Took it to the dealer and after six weeks they told me to come pick it up. They said they did a smoke test and found a cracked vent crank case hose. $575 to replace it. I was OK with that. When I went to pick it up-the CEL was on. After yet another week, they said they found another broke hose. So for the second time I went to pick it up....Drove it about 1 mile and the CEL came back on. LOL. Do these guys know what there doing? They told me they would call me to bring it back in. That was a week ago.

Im wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this code? I know (from past maintenance records) that the turbo seals (assuming the shaft seals) were replace do to the car burning oil and smoking. I checked the turbos and did not see any oil in the intake.

Could there be another air leak somewhere else?

Could the catalytic converters be hosed cause of the previous bad turbo seals that could have caused oil to cake the inside of the converters?

Could it bad a bad O2 or MAF sensor that it throwing it into closed loop mode? But, no other codes.

Im afraid of the worst case scenario is that the valve seats are going bad, because it still does burn some oil and I thought I heard these engines do have a problem with the valve seats.

Anyone respond if you have heard anything like this. I have not seen anything in the forums.
Edit/Delete Message
Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamlord View Post
So I'm not sure if it's the same problem or not. Here's what I'm experiencing with my new engine (didn't have it with the "old" N63B44).

Sometimes (almost every time but not always) when stopping at a traffic light, so the car is in gear, I do feel that the engine is kind of shuddering slightly - VERY lightly - from time to time in irregular intervals. Now, this is so subtle that I have to really concentrate to feel it (like press my knee to the console, foot on brake, elbow on door etc, all together only then I can feel the engine is not running very smoothly.
Checking the RPM's, it's dead on 550 and not changing at all.

Now, as soon as the AC is turned on, or the car is put in park - so both cases where the rpm's go to 700 - this is gone and the engine is perfectly smooth.

It's not that I'm nitpicking everything but it feels kinda lame to get a brand new (and an LCI!) engine and that something is still not quite perfect and in some way worse than what I had before.

I do remember that the SA mentioned having to order another fuel pressure sensor after the engine installation because it was faulty and gave errors and the engine ran rough.
Now, the engine does run fine other than this subtle shuddering every now and then and I don't know if I should confront them with this...Bet they won't really consider it as a defect..bleh.
had the same issue.......you can have the idle programmed to be 700 rpms under every scenario. did this to my car. This means you set it for when the A/C is off, defroster selected, in gear, etc.......

Last edited by dagoo98; 05-07-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Can you please tell what do you mean with the torque converter shudder?
Its not just BMW but you can search the forums. Late model locking torque converters are prone to developing vibration or shudder during or transitioning to lock up.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpumroy View Post
Its not just BMW but you can search the forums. Late model locking torque converters are prone to developing vibration or shudder during or transitioning to lock up.
The reason I'm asking, is because I'm (probably) being paranoid, but from time to time (not consistently reproducable) I can feel a light jerk from the tranny when slowing down before stop, coming to stop - shortly before the car fully stops and the torque converter unlocks.
So it happens in the reverse situation than what you said - namely it jerks lightly when the tc is transitioning to unlocked state. I should also add, the transmission is brand new.
Also, this doesn't happen every time.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
The reason I'm asking, is because I'm (probably) being paranoid, but from time to time (not consistently reproducable) I can feel a light jerk from the tranny when slowing down before stop, coming to stop - shortly before the car fully stops and the torque converter unlocks.
So it happens in the reverse situation than what you said - namely it jerks lightly when the tc is transitioning to unlocked state. I should also add, the transmission is brand new.
Also, this doesn't happen every time.
Yes, I've had this too for a while, and would very much appreciate your keeping us posted with a solution, if found. I believe it's similar in feeling (one's while accelerating and the other's while braking), but different from the 'stumble', but I may be wrong!

Last edited by dbs600; 05-08-2013 at 08:31 AM.