Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: Audi TT, Audi Q5
Question For the money, A6 or 550ix?

Hello everyone,

Lurker but this is my first entry on a beaten up subject of which I would like to add a twist. The dreaded A6 vs 5 series comparison. Before you :rolleyes here is my question....

Both the A6 and 550i xDrive can be had for about 50k for a slightly used CPO car with more or less the same options (prestige on the A6 and M Sport and other goodies on the 5).

Yes they are technically apples and oranges but look, each has four seats, both are awd, both are outfitted very nicely and in my case both will be daily drivers putting about 3-400 miles a week (driving to CT and PA from NJ). Both fit the kids in the back, hence why I need a new car because.....

......As a point of comparison, I currently drive an Audi TT and can't afford a Panamera which I would get if I had an extra 20k. My budget is about 50-55k. That being said......

......For the money, ie bang for buck, which would you take?

Rippey
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 550i
Well, if you're posting this question in the F10 forum, then the answer will likely be F10. I wonder what the answer would be if you posted the same question in the Audi forums

In all honesty, a few cars ago, I owned a 2005 A6 4.2 Quattro. It was a fantastic car and I enjoyed it at the time. However, I think the F10 is the best all around package (sport/luxury) to date, especially when you pair it w/ the Dinan S2 .
Old 02-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
I'm biased to BMW because my wife and I both drive them. We've had no problems thus far and plan on staying with the BMW family.

It sounds to me that you're already familiar with Audi. If you haven't had any problems with them and like the quality; why change it?

I say 550 but again, only you can make that call since you already know what to expect from Audi.

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 02-26-2013, 08:18 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Bang for the buck Audi wins every time. That's new. If you're comparing a used 550 with a used A6 3.0T....well, how do you compare those two?

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the feedback. This is why I am posting here:

@Needsdecaf, We all look at numbers and the stuff in magazines but what really counts is how you enjoy (or not) the car on a day to day basis. When you think of it that way (and in my case my daily driver) I know that I'd rather have an A6 or 550 compared to say an E500. They are not totally equals but from a day to day, the E500 is rather a boring drive (my dad in law has one and its good for him not me). I think most will agree that the E500 is not what you would call sporty nor fun.

Posting here, I know I am going to get what is good and bad about the 550. Heck, some people even had an A6 in the past and can elaborate further (like bigken620)

I know both cars are great and I like to maximize my buck, like everyone else. Hey the TT loses on paper to the Z4 but the TT is insanely fun to drive and I don't think when it's raining nor snowing. I just want to get some real experiences for you all mostly because I value your opinion on the cars you love (or hate)

550 has more horses and to me the better interior
A6 is more refined (I guess), looks nice if not a bit plain and more exclusive
Maintenance is about the same I guess, dealerships are within 15 minutes of each other although I do know a BMW mechanic
Old 02-26-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Looks, comfort and power the 550 is on top

Handling is where the A6 comes out on top based on all the magazine reviews i've read about these two cars.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i 6MT m sport
Bang for the buck a Hyundai Sonata wins. People who buy BMWs don't buy them for bang for the buck. They buy them becuase they like them THEN they try to rationlize it using all sorts of criteria. A 550i may not be the fastest car nor the most practical nor the best handling. Instead, it brings the best combination of all those qualities in such a way that suits the needs of a particular demographic.
Carbon Black 2013 550i Dynamic Handling, Executive, Bang & Olufsen, BMP Apps, M Sport, Adaptive Drive, Integral Active Steering, Rear shades, Heated seats, Manual Transmition, Matte black grill, Carbon black front reflectors.

Happiness isn't about getting what you want, it is wanting what you got.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM
OZG F10

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i F10
I tested both A6 and F10 before going for the BMW. I chose the 535 because I don't need the extra power on an 550.

For me:

A6 wins in the interior and the handling.
F10 is better in exterior, the mix of luxury and technology, reliability.

Audis were much more expensive to lease when I ordered my BMW (I don't know if they have better deals in the last two months).

It all comes down to which one "feels" right for you when you test drive them. It is subjective and you cannot quantify it.

Best bang for the buck is still a V6 Honda Accord sedan though.

13 BMW F10 535i RWD - 3.0 L 221 kW (300 hp) Bone stock except NAVI,PDC,Cam,Tint,Coded,HID Fogs,Debadged,Spoiler,BMS Stg1
07 BMW E64 630i - 3.0 L 200 kW (272 hp)
03 BMW E65 745i - 4.4 L V8, 242 kW (325 hp)
98 BMW E39 535i - 3.5 L 183 kW (245 hp)
95 BMW E34 540i - 4.0 L V8 210 kW (282 hp)
89 BMW E30 M3 non-cat 147 kW (200 hp)

15 MB W222 S550 4-Matic on order
10 Infiniti G37x Sedan
09 Mercedes C 350
08 Infiniti G35x Sedan
04 Mercedes CLK 350
01 Mercedes C 230

Last edited by hufington; 02-26-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M sport
The seats.

A6 seats suck. That was the clincher for me on the A6/A7. I drive a lot as you do, and comfortable and supportive seats are very important.

The 5er seats would be the deciding factor to me.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
A6 wins in the interior...It is subjective and you cannot quantify it.
Bingo. Because I don't like the Audi interior very much, especially the pop-up screen. So for me the 5er interior wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hufington View Post
Best bang for the buck is still a V6 Honda Accord sedan though.
Especially the all new Accord. That thing is stocked full of features, even more so than I think you can find on an Acura, and Honda interiors are usually fairly usable.

But since the OP asked about A6 vs. 5er, for me the choice was clear from the beginning. I didn't even shop Audi. I am a highly visual person who likes what they like, so the most important thing for me is the interior because you see it while driving and you use it. And since the Audi interiors don't light my fire, I didn't even bother checking them out (I'm ignoring the fact that I also don't like the Audi exterior).

I did check out the all new GS because I really like how the interior looks (the steering wheel and analog clock are money). However, one test drive was enough to realize it isn't as great as the magazines are claiming and their interior continues to have usability problems (e.g. the mouse-like controller).

Call me a D bag or fan-boy or whatever, but BMW is building great looking and operating products inside and out these days. I cannot think of a brand I like more right now than BMW except maybe Apple, but the two are probably tied.

I say get the 5er!

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry

Last edited by cordoor; 02-26-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Chitown traveller

Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
I did an exhaustive evaluation of these cars including the GS350 before pulling the trigger. I come from a long line of Audis, (4 A4s), Still have a 2011 A4 Quattro Premium+ in the garage for the wife.

Here are my thoughts, The C7 is probably the most exceptional sedan chassis that Audi has ever produced. It gives tremendous weight benefits and paired with the 3.0T (or even better the 4.0T) is a formidable SPORTS sedan in this category. However,

1) There is no damper control on the A6 prestige. You have to live with the infamous Audi ride if you get the sports package. So I wouldn't have gotten it, if you're planning to get one with SP, I strongly advise you to test drive one over potholes and rough surfaces before puling the trigger.

2) These cars are depreciating like bricks, whether you lease or buy is immaterial, the depreciation comes out of your pocket. This is also an indication of what the used market thinks about these cars after a couple of years of use.

3) I agree that the A6 has a better interior design, I actually even prefer the exterior design to that of the F10 (but I'm in a minority). But look at the MATERIALS inside, Not a single stitch on any of the doors, shiny reflective black plastics on either side of the navigation screen (very distracting and CHEAP looking), vinyl on every seat bolster. On the plus side their in dash information display is superior to that of the F10 ( In fact I prefer my A4's in dash info to the F10 too.) Also I think the layered Oak inlays are best in class trim. But being very OCD I tend to focus only on the negative points rather than the positives. This was the reason I couldn't pull the trigger on the Lexus whose rear reading lights are not in the center and VERY cheap looking above the doors (Obsessive I know). THe F10 is not screaming at you with any particular design element but at the same time I am yet to find a feature that is aesthetically offensive.

4) If you want to do stoplight races, you can buy the A6 and it is the perfect car for you. But don't kid yourself, these are luxury barges, you are much better off with an S4 or a 335i. BUT if you want Luxury and the smoothest engine in the class, the F10 might be your pick.

5) Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive, Test Drive. Only way for any person to be completely satisfied with their own decision.

Last edited by kk22; 02-26-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrippey View Post
Thanks for the feedback. This is why I am posting here:

@Needsdecaf, We all look at numbers and the stuff in magazines but what really counts is how you enjoy (or not) the car on a day to day basis. When you think of it that way (and in my case my daily driver) I know that I'd rather have an A6 or 550 compared to say an E500. They are not totally equals but from a day to day, the E500 is rather a boring drive (my dad in law has one and its good for him not me). I think most will agree that the E500 is not what you would call sporty nor fun.

Posting here, I know I am going to get what is good and bad about the 550. Heck, some people even had an A6 in the past and can elaborate further (like bigken620)

I know both cars are great and I like to maximize my buck, like everyone else. Hey the TT loses on paper to the Z4 but the TT is insanely fun to drive and I don't think when it's raining nor snowing. I just want to get some real experiences for you all mostly because I value your opinion on the cars you love (or hate)

550 has more horses and to me the better interior
A6 is more refined (I guess), looks nice if not a bit plain and more exclusive
Maintenance is about the same I guess, dealerships are within 15 minutes of each other although I do know a BMW mechanic
I had a 2012 C7 A6 before my 535xi, if sportiness is your number one priority, you would pretty much have to go with the A6. The A6 feel lighter, more agile and alive. On the other hand, the F10 is more refined, better materials and feels much more solid. If you have the multi contour seats, the F10 is a better car for long trips. steering wise, the F10 is more stable on the highway as well. Bang for the buck I would have say goes to the F10 just because the F10's MSRP is higher. You cannot go wrong with either car, good luck.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
I would say a 550 as well. However if you asked about a 7 series vs A8 I would go with the A8
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM

All,

Thanks for all of the feedback, this is exactly what I wanted. I need to be comfortable as I know I will be be putting in alot of miles on this car. The roads I will be travelling are not going to be glass either (I95 and I91 to CT and I80 to PA) so I would like to ride at least comfortable. Seating and materials are very important to me. Both cars can handle and I am not going to any drag races but I will want to outrun an 18 wheeler if things get tight. The used market seems to be pretty stocked with CPO A6's and 550xi's.

I plan to test driving these cars hopefully in the next couple of weeks, I think it is going to rain this weekend. I think I can negotiate a better deal on the 550xi than the A6 though as Audi is apparently the "it car." I like my TT but its too small and a Panamera is 20K north so no dice (and I do not want to wait until next year to get something)...

BTW Alan L. your car is sick!

Thanks all!

Rippey
Old 02-26-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 13 528xi
I had C7 supercharged A6 for 15 days when my A4 was in shop for repair. My dealer called it 'extended test drive' as he knew I was in market to buy another car.

First things first, if you plan on modifying your car or upgrading ECU on Audis, you can kiss goodbye to your powertrain warranty. Audi has been cracking down on modded cars; google TD1 if you want to know more. You can buy stasis package and they provide their warranty but I have heard not many good things about stasis.

One of the members mentioned ride quality and not being able to adjust suspension/damper settings...That is not true. You can select your suspension, throttle response and gearbox settings using ADS (Audi Drive Select) option. Audi decided to remove a dedicated button for ADS and you can select these options from MMI.

I was in market for 2 months and was torn between A6 and F10. I finally pulled the trigger on F10 just because F10 was a lot more fun to drive. Of course, A6 turned more heads than F10 but I am getting old and dont need to turn heads anymore !
And also F10 lease numbers looked much better.

Things I liked about A6:
1. Google maps and built in WIFI hotspot (T-Mobile)
2. Start/Stop is much smoother and you can barely feel it
3. Good gas mileage
4. Agile and nimble
5. Excellent interior. Feels more modern and futuristic. BMW interior is extremely bland and dated. The touch pad on Audi is God sent..
5. The car turns off when you open the door in 'P' mode. It doesnt sound like something great but its a great feature once you get used to it.
6. Quiet, powerful, efficient AC system. It heated and cooled my car much faster than F10.
7. Better Voice recognition/control system. I could say "I am hungry" or "I need gas" and it would give me a list right away.
8. Speed proportional electric power steering !! People rant about this but..it is actually best for long drives. I put over 1600 miles a month.

Things that annoyed me on A6:
1. The popup screen..At first it was cool but after 3-4 days it was annoying.
2. Lack of an upgrade feel from my 2011 A4.
3. Lack of ability to play videos from USB drives/ SD cards
4. Factory sound system was subpar when compared to F10
5. For some weird reason I was not excited to drive the car..May be cos its too quiet and too refined for my taste.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post8217472

Coming to your question..which one is better bang for the buck...Audi.

Last edited by cyberbrutus; 02-26-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 PM
Chitown traveller

Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbrutus View Post

One of the members mentioned ride quality and not being able to adjust suspension/damper settings...That is not true. You can select your suspension, throttle response and gearbox settings using ADS (Audi Drive Select) option. Audi decided to remove a dedicated button for ADS and you can select these options from MMI.
Again, you cannot adjust suspension or damping settings via drive select in an A6. Only Steering, Throttle and Transmission. You CAN change dampers/suspension on the S6.

From the website:

"Audi drive select
With a wide range of adjustments for steering effort, throttle response, and transmission shift characteristics, you can instantly tailor the personality of the A6 to match your mood."

link:
http://models.audiusa.com/a6-sedan/models

I was told this during the test drive of a 20" Sports PAckage equipped A6 when I found no difference in feel on ride quality between Dynamic and Comfort. McGrath Audi in Chicago.

Still don't believe me, call any dealer, or better yet, Test Drive it.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
That is correct, only some European version of the A6 with air suspension have adjustable suspension.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 13 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk22 View Post
Again, you cannot adjust suspension or damping settings via drive select in an A6. Only Steering, Throttle and Transmission. You CAN change dampers/suspension on the S6.

From the website:

"Audi drive select
With a wide range of adjustments for steering effort, throttle response, and transmission shift characteristics, you can instantly tailor the personality of the A6 to match your mood."

link:
http://models.audiusa.com/a6-sedan/models

I was told this during the test drive of a 20" Sports PAckage equipped A6 when I found no difference in feel on ride quality between Dynamic and Comfort. McGrath Audi in Chicago.

Still don't believe me, call any dealer, or better yet, Test Drive it.
I had 2013 A6 for 15 days. MMI ADS for sure changed the characteristics of the car. I could have sworn that it stiffened the ride a bit but the placebo effect helped me misinterpret it.

Anyway, it doesnt feel like Cadillac..Its not stiff either. I think its a perfect balance for everyday driving.

Last edited by cyberbrutus; 02-26-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
I'm certainly biased with two BMWs in the household.

Audi A6 is certainly a nice car. However, every time I sit in an Audi, I get reminded it is a luxurious version of a VW. Years ago, I had a 98 VW Passat and it pretty much was a scaled down A4. For the money, the Passat was a great car. In recent years, I think the differences are much greater between VW and Audi but I still think of VW when I look at an Audi. That's just me.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Do people really cross shop a 5 series and a Lexus GS?

To the original poster: get the Audi. That piece crap depreciates even faster than a BMW. Since you're buying a used a car you'll get more for your money. You wrote "bang for the buck", right? Same thing :-).

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-26-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decboy View Post
I'm certainly biased with two BMWs in the household.

Audi A6 is certainly a nice car. However, every time I sit in an Audi, I get reminded it is a luxurious version of a VW. Years ago, I had a 98 VW Passat and it pretty much was a scaled down A4. For the money, the Passat was a great car. In recent years, I think the differences are much greater between VW and Audi but I still think of VW when I look at an Audi. That's just me.
Oh, crap. Please delete your post before we get invaded by Audi piss boys and groupies.

Nothing gets those fan boys steamed up more than writing Audi's = VW's.

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-26-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM

XXX. lol

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Do people really cross shop a 5 series and a Lexus GS?

To the original poster: get the Audi. That piece crap depreciates even faster than a BMW. Since you're buying a used a car you'll get more for your money. You wrote "bang for the buck", right? Same thing :-).
Actually it seems that BMW is depreciating faster than Audi, at least when it comes to the cars I'm looking at.

For 50k, I can't get a V8 A6 but I can get a V8 550xi (the 5 has been out a couple of years tho).

Rippey
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I owned a 2004 Audi A6 S-Line and it was pretty decent car at the time, but I just can't get over the hideous pop-up NAV in their current offerings. Even the upcoming RS6's mind-blowing performance won't be enough to overcome that stupid pop-up NAV. :what:

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I owned a 2004 Audi A6 S-Line and it was pretty decent car at the time, but I just can't get over the hideous pop-up NAV in their current offerings. Even the upcoming RS6's mind-blowing performance won't be enough to overcome that stupid pop-up NAV. :what:
I agree, don't like the pop up style nav screen. Unfortunately, BMW has implemented a similar nav screen on the F30 and in the future 4 series coupe.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport