Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
Aftermarket NAV

I have a 2003 BMW X5 E53 with NAV and DSP. I wanted to update the system with Bluetooth, Ipod and Sat radio. Due to cost I was looking at aftermarket options since the OEM parts to add those are so expensive. I know that DSP will be a problem and I might just rewire (rather not) but seems that it DSP is not compatible with many aftermarket systems.

I have done lots of reach and found that most aftermarket NAVs do not support the On-board Computer(OBC). From what I understand the OBC controls average miles per gallon, system time and several other features which are also displayed in the dash.

Has anyone has had success in upgrading the NAV system to an aftermarket one and keep the OBC function without adding a separate MID in the glove box?

I have had many other non-BMW cars and never had this hard of a time to simply upgrade the system.

I would just upgrade the current system but bluetooth alone retails for $700 and that is without the other add-ons, an aftermarket system which support everything but Sat radio is under $700.

Any thoughts?
Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
BTW: Your Description field should be changed to more of an "Integration upgrade" to your existing platform.

This is similar to what I went with... Real happy now that they got the firmware bugs worked out. From time to time I check for updates.. Simple and Easy to do.
Dice makes the Model as Audiovox had purchased the company.

While I did my research and was skeptical, I found out I knew more then the guys over the counter, and seemed limited for the full integration I wanted. I saved $700 and got a better and fully functional unit. I did have a buddy who is a professional installer, installed it and hid the two units. The Media Bridge and DSP adapter. The DSP adapter went in the rear left compartment in the lower section near the AMP. The DSP module went behind the firewall center console side panel. I also have a USB cable that is easily accessed for Firmware updates as needed. I can load it up through my MAC or PC!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MBR-1500-BMW...item3f1c07bcd2

BMW X5 00-06 MB1500-BMW Non Nav & 16:9 Nav & 4:3 Nav 1, 2 (Limitations) i.e. Needed parts!!

Need to Purchase;

Note ALL: Text supported on all text-capable radios, external CD Changer must be disconnected.
1- If equipped with factory SAT module, then BMW SAT cable option is required.
2- If equipped with DSP amplifier then BMW DSP Adapter option is required.

~Mud

Last edited by Mudnyrey; 10-25-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
Aftermarket NAV

So you kept your factory NAV and just added this unit? I believe they also make one with SAT option as well. I thought I look at it but will double check. The only problem is that my NAV is starting to have pixel damage so I was hoping to replace the unit. Maybe I will fix the LCD screen and try this. Thanks for the feedback, I will research and see if this will do what I want....

Do you get everything on-screen?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
This is your entire unit minus the parts I added for all you need!

I am not NAV equipped on my vehicle. Really don't need it.

Do some home work on it.

~Mud
Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
GPS and Funcitional "Integration"

Since the cost of updating my 7 year old NAV DVD is more than most GPS's, and I am so used to touchscreens I want the built in touchscreen GPS, USB and Bluetooth capability. I do use my iPhone and iPad when I travel, so those are nice to haves. I have the same problem as others. I cannot differentiate from the adverts which systems pop in to the X5 E53 dash and offer the OEM functions as well as those above. Who does have a handle on such a system? It is at the top of my Christmas list.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
I purchased my integration kit from Bavarian sound Werks and besides the wide plug it works great. And you are only out a couple hundred dollars and have to solder 2 wires. And run a cable I did it in under an hour.