Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-04-2016, 04:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 M3
Some idiot keyed my car and now my insurance company is jerking my chain

So my car was keyed on the 24th of last month and I think I know who did it so I forwarded all of the evidence to my adjuster. Anyways now they are claiming that it's still under investigation and could be deemed a complete loss. They are claiming betterment and that repainted the car would make it worth more and only offering me $2650 for a paint job. I actually had just been through another car being keyed and my insurance company gave me so much crap. Anyway since im not a insurance professional can someone tell me how to get a larger payout and to make them "hurry up" with their investigation. It's been a few weeks and nothing has really happened except for an adjust has looked at it. It's a 98 M3 with tons of modifications and the paint was in decent shape before it got keyed by some dumb ass that claims I ripped him off by selling him wheels and whih he claims one is cracked but it's not. Total loser.

Anyway it does have 195k miles but just about everything on the car has been rebuilt and they ignoring the actual market value of my car which is about 7-9k and telling me that KBB says it's worth around $3500 and another appraisal site they are using is saying $5000. Anyway This really has been a really bad experience for me and I'm switching insurance companies after this claim. I can't even talk to them on the phone without becoming hysterically angry to the point where I just want to smash their ****ing car with a golf club to see if they become any more empathetic towards me as a customer.

I also sent them links on ebay to show them the price of my car.

It just seems like there is absolutely no reasoning with these guy's they just keep telling me that nothing that I have to say will effect the appraisal cost of my car.

is there anything I can do? If so what?
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2016, 07:53 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
I definitely feel your pain! It took almost 3 months of hard work to get the offer on my E36 up from the $3,200 they initially offered to the final $7K settlement. It sounds like you're on a path where they're going to total the car or offer you 60% of the value (the typically total out threshold) to get it repaired. Who did it and why they did it is irrelevant to your claim, it only makes a difference to the insurance company in their potential to recover some of what they pay out to you. Have you gotten any quotes for getting your car repainted? In not then you should do that. If the $2,650 will cover it, take the settlement, go get your car fixed, and move on.
If they're going to total it, they'll come up with their own market value analysis. In some states the insurance company is required to give you a copy of that analysis, including the specifics on the comparable cars they uses to develop their offer. Hopefully your state requires that and if so, then request a copy.
With respect to mods you've made, unless you reported each of them to insurance company and had coverage added to your policy, for the most part you're out of luck there. You've insured the car as a standard model and have been paying those rates. They may give you a bit of credit for them, but it will be pennies on the dollar compared to what you spent unfortunately.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:58 AM

Well it's good to know I'm not all alone. Do you have any tips for me?

My claims adjuster told me that it was most likely going to be totaled.

Here is a copy of the exact email I was sent.

"I've heard back from my appraiser. Your car is very close to being a total loss. We are able to pay the attached estimate but absolutely no more. I am willing to pay this estimate right away so you may begin repairs but I need you to email me back agreeing that this is the only payment we will make for this repair. In other words, if you go to a shop and they decide the repair will cost more than anticipated, we will not pay it. If you do not agree to these terms, we will unfortunately have to declare it a total loss.

Let me know what you'd like to do and if you have any questions."

Obviously I don't want for it to be a total loss unless I get a lot more money for it but I just doubt that is going to happen. What do I do?

Last edited by riding_dirty; 06-04-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:03 AM

Confirms what I indicated in my earlier post. Get out to some body shops and get some quotes. Keeping the car and getting it repainted, even if you have to chip in some $$ will be the best outcome on this. If they total the car you'll never recover any of the cost of your mods and you'll struggle to even get market value as a generic M3 due to the high mileage.
Most places I know you should be able to get a pretty good paint job for $2,650.

Last edited by dc_wright; 06-04-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:11 AM

$2650 is actually not too bad. It could be worse. I know I can afford to get it repainted for $2650 or even a little less if I shop around. All in all I'm the most upset that some douche keyed my car to begin with because now I am acing the possibility of it being deemed a complete loss which means the resale value would make my car almost impossible to ever resell again plus I just don't want a rebuilt restored title. Which is why I can't take it to any other shops to have it looked at. If you read the email again it say's I can't and if I did take it to any other shops the price would increase for the paint job which would ensure that they deem my car as a total loss and I don't know how the whole process goes but I definitely can't find an M3 for less than 6k in my area. Then take into account that my M3 has quite a bit of upgrades including a rebuilt engine and all.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:48 AM

They didn't say you can't take it to any other shops, they said the $2,650 quote is only valid at the shop they listed and if you take it elsewhere and it costs more they won't pay more than the $2,650. I'd still go get some additional quotes just for confirmation.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
They didn't say you can't take it to any other shops, they said the $2,650 quote is only valid at the shop they listed and if you take it elsewhere and it costs more they won't pay more than the $2,650. I'd still go get some additional quotes just for confirmation.

I'm probably just going to take it to maaco and get their 2 stage base and clear. I'm just praying they don't deem it a total loss.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:08 AM

They just want to clear the claim off their books. I'd bet that if you call them and tell them you'll settle at $2,650 but you want them to write the check to you, they'll accept that offer.
Let us know how it comes out!
Old 06-04-2016, 09:10 AM

Just emailed my adjuster and apologized for complicating things. Told them I was fine with whatever they decided. keeping my finger's crossed. I'll keep you posted. No pun intended.

Last edited by riding_dirty; 06-04-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: '95 325ic, '99 323i
If you do some, or most, of the prep work yourself, I bet you can get a great new paint job for that money.
2008 Acura MDX
2002 GMC Yukon Denali
1996 Mercedes E320 (gone but not forgotten)
2003 Ford Taurus
1995 325ic "Betty"
1999 323i "Uma"

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...714&highlight=

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search