Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 07-24-2014, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325i convertible
New to forum

Am new to this and looking for mechanical advice. Very frustrated with my 1995 E36 convertible, has only 35,700 miles on it and has never given me any problems, TILL NOW!! Wipers don't work, husband is mechanic and checked fuses, all good, then replaced switch and nothing, someone on here said it was the module, so he replaced that too and nothing, $320 later wipers still don't work.

Any good advice welcome, he has seen some posts about possible broken wires under the fuse box, he can see no broken wires.

Again, any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to the E36 3 series forum, you'll get more help in here. Could it be as simple as the wiper motor? Not sure if you can try applying 12v directly to the motor to test it.

Tim
Old 07-25-2014, 10:03 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Check for power AT THE wiper motor. If there's power but no movement, the motor is shot or the brushes are worn out (unlikely on a 35.7K mileage car unless the PO ran the wipers the entire time they were in the car!)

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 07-25-2014, 11:55 AM

Wiper motor good

My husband checked the column switch with a test light and he crossed the actuator terminals and the wipers worked on high, he did this on several of the terminals to see if the low and variable timing terminals worked but it always went to high mode. That is why he replaced the switch first and they still did not work and then he replaced the module and still nothing. So the motor works but the wipers still do not with the replaced switch and module. He read on here that the car has to be moving as the speed sensor may be a part of the circuit? He is trying to find the relays as none "click" when the wipers are actuated. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-25-2014, 12:53 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Your car has speed sensitive wipers and unless you put the switch in what you call the high speed position the wipers don't wipe unless the car is moving. There's an input from the speed sensor to the wiper module and it monitors to determine whether to run the wipers or not. The switching for the wiper motor is in the wiper control module which is why you don't hear the relays. If the wipers run on "high" then the switch and the motor are likely good. I'd be looking at the wiring to the wiper module to make certain the input from the speed sensor is good. Is your speedometer working? If not then the problem is the speed sensor or the wiring from it.
If you go to the "Useful links..." sticky and click on the "This one went missing" link it will take you to a site where you can download a copy of the Bentley E36 service manual. It has full wiring diagrams in the back section which you'll find extremely useful in troubleshooting this.
Welcome to the 'Fest!
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM

Still not working

Well the speed sensor works as the speedo and the cruise control work. But no wipers at all. New module and new switch. My husband has looked at some of the wiring harness and he says it looks good. No corrosion. What could be the problem. he still says it could be the relay but not sure which ones as there are a dozen, we do have the location schematic and the wiring diagram, but not of much help. Any ideas more than welcome and if you know anyone who has had similar problem and how they fixed it. I feel the dealer will just spend days and charge me thousands to track down the issue. Thanks again for any and all help.