Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Is this a worth it?

So , I came across an all stock 1997 M3 with 94000 miles. They are asking $15000 for it. My dilemma is I just got orders to vilseck Germany . If I buy it is coming with me to germany or will I be able to buy one in Germany that I can bring back ?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Just a kid with a toolbox

Mein Auto: 330ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector_j_castro View Post
So , I came across an all stock 1997 M3 with 94000 miles. They are asking $15000 for it. My dilemma is I just got orders to vilseck Germany . If I buy it is coming with me to germany or will I be able to buy one in Germany that I can bring back ?

Sounds like your are Military. If so, you will almost undoubtedly not be able to bring a vehicle with your, but who knows just ask your CO.
$15k is WAY to much. If you can import a E36 from Germany or just a bunch of unique parts that only Europe got, there is a huge market here.

1992 Black 325i 5 Speed w/ 279k - Parted out
1998 Black 328i 5 Speed Restored w/179k - Sold
1995 Black 318ti MTech 5 Speed w/146k - Sold
1992 White 325i Auto - Lemons race car
1995 Green 318ti 5 speed - OBD1 S52 Race Car
1995 Black M3 5 speed w/191k - Fathers
1995 Blue 318ti 5 speed w/96k - Brothers

And 2 more just for parts
Old 09-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Thanks, I have an e36 318i right now and it has been a fun car to work on and drive. Will I be able to find part in Germany to improve it's performance? Not trying to go fast just really enjoy the drive. But I test drove the m3 and man it felt so good . Is meant to be driven and it takes the road like it owns it.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 97 328is... and stuff.
That car sounds far too expensive. The other issues probably bear further investigation. I've had friends in the military that got fairly inexpensive transportation for their (cheap old) vehicles to Germany and back (back in the 80's). They went by ship, if and when there was excess freight capacity available. I've shipped stuff that way (for free) when working for other government agencies, but it doesn't go on any kind of schedule. (One shipment was "on standby" for more than a month.)

If you take equipment with you AND return it to the country of origin, you can import it under an ATA Carnet and pay no import/export duties. You have to get the forms stamped every time you cross a border. Not sure about the legalities of operating a US vehicle in Europe and vice versa but apparently it can be done.

Another rumor worth investigating is one I heard from friends working in Europe in the 90's. They said that the inspection process was so rigorous that cars more than a few years old were basically kicked out of the country (Switzerland, I believe) and could be had very cheaply. If you go through the whole process of exporting them to the US, I don't know if they are still cheap though!

I also knew one US family that took delivery of their new Bimmer in Germany, drove it on their European vacation, and then had it delivered to the US. I have no idea how the economics of THAT worked out, but I seem to recall that it was a program offered by the factory.

Last edited by toddster; 09-07-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
I also knew one US family that took delivery of their new Bimmer in Germany, drove it on their European vacation, and then had it delivered to the US. I have no idea how the economics of THAT worked out, but I seem to recall that it was a program offered by the factory.
That's just the standard European Delivery program. Lots of folks do it.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 09-07-2014, 03:45 PM

I already look at the standard delivery service , just have to work the details on how close to an European engine I can get and still be with in American specs. But I for sure will be coming back with a new BMW!!! . As far as taking the extra car to Vilseck it has so far average out to be in the 2000 plus American dollars. I am hoping I can buy a car for that much( just for work and back). I am really hating the fact that I might have to leave my e36 back here. I will look in to space available freight. I am willing to wait a month or more is the price is right. I have put lots on time and money trying to get the 318i running, would love to see how far I can go if I take it to Germany.