Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
iDrive -- find nearest diesel station?

I may be be demonstrating my ignorance here, but is it possible to have iDrive tell you where the nearest service station that sells diesel is? If so, how is that done, and can I store it as one of my shortcut buttons? Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xDrive35d
I'm pretty sure that you can choose to show diesel only when doing a search in the nav. However, it's been my experience that getting through all of the screens to do so is silly. I haven't tried assigning a shortcut button to it, but it's certainly worth a shot. One thing I've found is that sometimes you can't assign a shortcut to the current screen, rather you have to have the menu item that selects the screen highlighted, then hold the shortcut button to assign it.

Also, if you have an iPhone, the Fuel Finder app works well and can filter for diesel, etc. You can find nearest, find by zip, and push the "On Fumes" button to quickly get results:

The iOS version is here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fuel...299969005?mt=8

Looks like an Android version is also available:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...inderpro&hl=en

Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
> is it possible to have iDrive tell you where the nearest service station that sells diesel is?

Yes. I believe when you search in points of interest and get to the "fuel" screen, you can press again and get a choice of diesel or gasoline. Or maybe you have to press the "Option" button when you are at the fuel screen.

But.... the BMW navigator database is terrible, so it is very likely the information will be wrong. Think of it as similar to stopping to ask a senile old man standing by the street -- "Well, I reckon I sorta remember that the ol' station down by the bridge had a diesel sign a few years ago, so you might try there, but I'm not sure that station is still in business." BMW Nav has similar accuracy.

> can I store it as one of my shortcut buttons?

Yes, you can. I did it a couple of years ago, so I do not remember all the steps, but I believe if you navigate to the fuel choice screen, you just program the button at that point. I am 100% sure you can do it, since I have done it; however, you may have to do some trial and error to get the exact sequence.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Use your iPhone/Android. iDrive POIs suck.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
I have find diesel set on one of my presets and it works well.

Chuck
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGr View Post
I have find diesel set on one of my presets and it works well.
Chuck
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Use your iPhone/Android. iDrive POIs suck.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
I'm pretty sure . . . One thing I've found is that sometimes you can't assign a shortcut to the current screen, rather you have to have the menu item that selects the screen highlighted, then hold the shortcut button to assign it.
. . .
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
. . .
But.... the BMW navigator database is terrible, so it is very likely the information will be wrong. . . . .
> can I store it as one of my shortcut buttons? . . .
I am 100% sure you can do it, since I have done it; however, you may have to do some trial and error to get the exact sequence.
+1

I have done everything listed above! Finally came to the conclusion smartphone app is the best way to go!

About the only place where you may revert back to the iDrive is a place where there is no cell coverage but there is satellite coverage . . . such a place most likely will not have a fuel station . . . and all that iDrive did for you is - confirmed you will run out of fuel and make you feel really bad!