Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: boat
Xdrive suspension questions..

After some research I have discovered that the x drive (Sport line) does not have the sport suspension.

So i just want to confirm that the xi has the same suspension as the base/morern/luxury models?

Sorry for more than one thread on suspension. Just need clarification.
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2012, 05:04 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner44 View Post
After some research I have discovered that the x drive (Sport line) does not have the sport suspension.

So i just want to confirm that the xi has the same suspension as the base/morern/luxury models?

Sorry for more than one thread on suspension. Just need clarification.
No, it doesn't.

The xDrive suspension is a different suspension than the Comfort suspension or the Sport suspension found on rear wheel drive models.

From what I've read, it feels like the Comfort suspension, not the Sport suspension, a few owners claiming its the softest of the three standard passive (non adaptive) suspensions.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: s2000
So even though its the sport xi, it has the same suspension as the modern and luxury xi?

I am a bit bummed about this. Is the xi suspension good enough to enjoy the ocasional mountain road? I am contemplating if the extra money for the m adaptive is worth it for the little bit I would be using it.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderd View Post
So even though its the sport xi, it has the same suspension as the modern and luxury xi?

I am a bit bummed about this. Is the xi suspension good enough to enjoy the ocasional mountain road? I am contemplating if the extra money for the m adaptive is worth it for the little bit I would be using it.
Yes, xDrive suspension is just fine for the vast majority of people. Most can't come close to pushing it to its limits.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
The standard suspension is up to the task of spirited driving. The adaptive m is noticeably better. I have time with both as well as stock sport on a RWD 328i F30.

In another forum a CA who drove sport and adaptive back to back (a track at the NA premier in CA I believe) gave the nod to adaptive.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 PM

Just a little bummed that bmw advertises the sport xi as having the sport suspension. your paying 1700 extra for mostly looks.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
BMW makes it confusing which cars come with sport suspension and which don't. You have to go by the official ordering guide document and not the web site.

On the upside the dynamic handling package on the F30 is a great deal and can be put on any F30 regardless of line or if it has xdrive or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-28-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Just a little bummed that bmw advertises the sport xi as having the sport suspension. your paying 1700 extra for mostly looks.
Where are you seeing this? I have not seen any advertisement the AWD Sport model comes equipped with the sport suspension.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
I too thought the x-drive came with the 704 Sport Suspension. It is listed on the BMW USA website but on the actual build from the dealer, it does not have the sport suspension. If you want a sport suspension with an x-drive you have to go with the Dynamic Handling Package which includes the Adaptive M Suspension and Variable Sport Steering ($1,000). I missed when I ordered my x-drive.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 PM

what are you going to do?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderd View Post

xi never has been able to compete, back road sword play.

But, that is not its market. You're smart to wait at least another year for maturity, and especially bright to wait for M3 - with M3 parts, your non xi can wear a civic crown. With LSD, not so bad in snow.

Name:  150px-Roman_Millitary_banner.svg.png
Views: 740
Size:  18.6 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-29-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
If you look at the Ordering Guide for the 2013 F30, it spells out what is included in each model configuration and what is optional. Hopefully, I uploaded the Ordering Guide correctly. It dates back to May.

I believe it is accurate and a better reference than the BMW web site.

On the M Adaptive Suspension, as I understand the adaptive part is always working, so even if you don't go into sport mode M Adaptive is providing a different (more controlled?) ride than a car without M Adaptive.

2013 BMW 3 Series Sedan (F30) Ordering Guide

Last edited by tim330i; 10-29-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM

BruceOmega I see you have the 335xi do you have the m suspension? If not how do you like the feel of the car and do you ever do spirited driving?

Edit: I see from your previous post that you have the dynamic

Last edited by wayner44; 10-29-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
BruceOmega I see you have the 335xi do you have the m suspension? If not how do you like the feel of the car and do you ever do spirited driving?

Edit: I see from your previous post that you have the dynamic
One of the reasons I replaced my '08 535Xi with the F30 was to get an optional, sportier suspension with AWD. I also got the Sport AT and summer performance tires with increased top speed limiter.

Have not had the car long, but last week I got a chance to drive on some twisty mountain roads and I was impressed at how well it handles. At one point, I was climbing up a mountain with switchback turns and was amazed at how fast I could go while being under full control.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
One of the reasons I replaced my '08 535Xi with the F30 was to get an optional, sportier suspension with AWD. I also got the Sport AT and summer performance tires with increased top speed limiter.

Have not had the car long, but last week I got a chance to drive on some twisty mountain roads and I was impressed at how well it handles. At one point, I was climbing up a mountain with switchback turns and was amazed at how fast I could go while being under full control.

Thanks
Bruce
Unless you got the adaptive suspension your car has the same suspension as the non-sport equipped RWD cars.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM

You was getting the backend loose on a Xdrive? Was the traction control on or off? Sorry dont know much about this, the 335xi will be my first bmw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Thanks
Bruce
Old 10-30-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
xi never has been able to compete, back road sword play.
For the vast majority of drivers it certainly can.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
For the vast majority of drivers it certainly can.

Well, IMHO, non-sport suspension prob won't keep up w/sport, and def won't against handling mods or M cars.

But I say again, xi's not intended for sport. So what if it doesn't shave as close? I sez: xi drivers buy 'em for their other talents.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Well, IMHO, non-sport suspension prob won't keep up w/sport, and def won't against handling mods or M cars.
Given the abilities of most drivers the xDrive cars will be right up there with the non xDrive cars. The reality is the vast majority of drivers, and that includes those on this forum, cannot push either car to their limits. Thus making the lower performance capabilities of the AWD irrelevant.

Think of it like speed comparisons. You have a car which can go 155 MPH and another which can "only" go 128 MPH. If you're driving both on US roads and remain within the speed limit (or even close to them) neither car is faster than the other as neither can be driven to their full potential.

Quote:
But I say again, xi's not intended for sport. So what if it doesn't shave as close? I sez: xi drivers buy 'em for their other talents.
To a degree I agree. People do buy AWD BMWs because of their sporty characteristics. But top sportiness is not at the top of their list.

Last edited by sunny5280; 10-31-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Unless you got the adaptive suspension your car has the same suspension as the non-sport equipped RWD cars.
I do have the M Adaptive suspension- have the Dynamic Handling Package.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
You was getting the backend loose on a Xdrive? Was the traction control on or off? Sorry dont know much about this, the 335xi will be my first bmw.
No, the back end was not getting loose. That was the point I was trying to make, I was driving agressively and everything was under control, no sliding or slipping. I put the rocker switch in Sport mode (full configuration) and moved the transmission shift lever to the left and had fun.

The nature of cornering with AWD, as I understand how that operates on a BMW, is one of the reasons I went with AWD. My driving is on public roads. My own personal preference is I do not want to power drift or slide around corners either with the traffic where I live or on the two lane / narrow country and mountain roads we take on weekend excursions.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by BruceOmega; 10-31-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
You have a car which can go 155 MPH and another which can "only" go 128 MPH. If you're driving both on US roads and remain within the speed limit (or even close to them) neither car is faster than the other as neither can be driven to their full potential.

Dear oh dear, how easy it is to make linear conclusions.

Yo! Not to put too fine a point on it, but my MOMMY can drive a M3 faster than a 3--xi, any dry, paved, curvy route. Truth is: M's a much easier car to drive, behaves so well. Limit the M to identical power, still easily outruns xi, any twist & turn. A good suspension is delightfully easy to work.

Winter might yield a diff result, eh.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Dear oh dear, how easy it is to make linear conclusions.

Yo! Not to put too fine a point on it, but my MOMMY can drive a M3 faster than a 3--xi, any dry, paved, curvy route. Truth is: M's a much easier car to drive, behaves so well. Limit the M to identical power, still easily outruns xi, any twist & turn. A good suspension is delightfully easy to work.

Winter might yield a diff result, eh.

M3 doesn't have some magic that makes it easier to drive.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
M3 doesn't have some magic that makes it easier to drive.

There we disagree. Mine does too, though it has a feature or two M3 does not, but lacks an aluminum rear subframe and adj shocks. I do OK....