Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
How do you replace daytime running light bulbs?

My X3 has Xenon on the two outer lights but halogen for the daytime running lights in the two inner lights. For example:

XENON | HAL. | GRILL | GRILL | HAL. | XENON

I want to switch out the halogen bulbs with a whiter light that will better match the color of the xenon lights. While I can find instruction for replacing the outer most bulbs everywhere I cannot seem to find how to do the inner bulbs. On the passenger side it appears to be fairly simple and the washing fluid reservoir doesn't need to be pulled (as it would normally need for the outer most bulbs) but I can't figure out how to remove the black cover under the clip. On the driver's side it appears that the whole air filter housing has to be pulled out to get to it.

I would appreciate if someone could provide a DIY with photos. Thanks!

Member No. 470379
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2012, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
I thought the inner bulb closest to the grill is a just a fake. There is no bulb in there. With the xenons, you get the LED coronas and xenon bulb. Only halogen lamps are the fog lights.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 325i and X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark86 View Post
I thought the inner bulb closest to the grill is a just a fake. There is no bulb in there. With the xenons, you get the LED coronas and xenon bulb. Only halogen lamps are the fog lights.
Nope, mine has a bulb there.

Member No. 470379
Old 11-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
In the F25 (2011+) those inner ones are blank. But, I see from your garage you've got a 2005... maybe want to check with somebody on the E83 forum. That said, I assume there's a hatch you can open on the back of the headlight assembly.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Yep, looks like the wrong forum here for your question. You're in the same area code though.

Regardless, I doubt there is much you can do about the warm tint of the DRL's. It's essentially a halogen bulb driven at 50% of full power. This provides the visibility without blinding everyone. With this kind of usage the bulb will outlast the car.

To get a whiter light, you would need to completely retrofit the light fixture yet still have the function of headlight flashing. Could be someone had already done this, but I don't know.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I'm sure you just need to find the right kind of bulb. It's probably a standard bulb type, you just need that size with the right color spectrum. Or if you really want a nice upgrade you could add some LED angle eyes like these: http://www.bimmian.com/WeissLicht-LE...for-BMW-E83-X3