Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi sport wagon
Retrofit BMW Apps, Connected Drive & smartphone integration

I have a 2011 X5 that was produced 2 months before the factory started installing the 6NR connected drive feature and smartphone integration. The car does have the USB port, combox and CIC professional with NAV. Through Bimmer Retrofit I installed 6NR successfully. The connected drive and BMW apps work perfectly when my iPhone 5 is connected through the USB port. Later, my BMW dealer installed the phone cradle in the center console. It seems to have active power and antenna connections. But when I try to select "plug in" as the input source (this is distinct from USB or Bluetooth) the CIC tells me that no compatible plug in device is attached. I am using a snap in adapter for the iPhone 5. Does anyone have an idea what is missing?
Ads by Google
Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
The "Plug-In" mode is not available with the iPhone 5, as the lightning port does not support the analog video output that the "Plug-In" source requires.

If the phone is in the cradle, are you still able to access your library via the USB input at the top?

Also, would you mind sharing what you went through to get the cradle installed (and, if you're OK answering, how much did it cost)? I was in the same boat as you, and I have so far done the combox media retrofit, but haven't looked into installing the cradle. Was it expensive? Is the wiring already present, or did it have to be installed too?

Last edited by AdamsGuitar; 04-14-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Thanks for info re iPhone 5. Happy to share. Installing phone cradle took dealer 2.8 hours. They said center console had to be disassembled. Plus I had to by the cradle itself. I don't know what connections were there to be made but I assume they connected whatever was available. I didn't provide any extra wiring. Unfortunately the USB option is grayed out when the phone is not actually connected to the USB. The phone gets power but can't tell whether it uses the car's antenna when in cradle. The phone can play music over Bluetooth only when in cradle.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i
Retrofit BMW Apps, Connected Drive & smartphone integration

Bummer. It's a known issue with the current iphone cradle. BMW Apps and the phone functionality will work, but not audio. Supposedly they are releasing a new model ending in part number 309 shortly that should support audio.

There are lengthy threads on the apple support forums.

Joe

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memmer View Post
Thanks for info re iPhone 5. Happy to share. Installing phone cradle took dealer 2.8 hours. They said center console had to be disassembled. Plus I had to by the cradle itself. I don't know what connections were there to be made but I assume they connected whatever was available. I didn't provide any extra wiring. Unfortunately the USB option is grayed out when the phone is not actually connected to the USB. The phone gets power but can't tell whether it uses the car's antenna when in cradle. The phone can play music over Bluetooth only when in cradle.
Mind sharing where you got the cradle and what you needed to buy? I'm still considering doing it, though I'd likely do the installation myself.

That's disappointing to hear about the audio not working while in the cradle. Kind of seems like an obvious omission on their part...
Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_liu View Post
Bummer. It's a known issue with the current iphone cradle. BMW Apps and the phone functionality will work, but not audio. Supposedly they are releasing a new model ending in part number 309 shortly that should support audio.

There are lengthy threads on the apple support forums.

Joe
That's encouraging. Actually, when I searched, I found this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25427772#25427772

If the issue that we're talking about is that it seems to work (i.e. you can browse music, etc.) but there is just no sound, then the comment by alibell999 seems to indicate that some simple coding of the vehicle can fix that (looks like it's expecting the snap-in to use analog audio, when it needs to use digital instead since lightning has no analog audio).
Old 04-15-2014, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i
Sounds like they might have just released a new snap-in adapter that does work with audio. Looks like its only available in Germany right now though.

This is a great thread on the Apple Support site with tons of info about this exact issue - https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 AM

I bought the cradle from my BMW dealer. My dealer is a very good one with a knowledgeable parts dept, so I tend to rely on them.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:10 AM

When you did the retrofit, did you get the telematics or media combox? If you got telematics, did you use this dealer to activate BMW Assist on the new combox?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:11 PM

My car came equipped with combox. I don't know what type. It also came equipped with USB port in center console. Before installing the cradle I had 6NR connected drive coded in remotely (over the internet) by Bimmer Retrofit (you can find them on the web). It was necessary to have the dealer first update the vehicle software (not just the updates you can do for yourself downloaded from BMW, but dealer-only updates) for something post-2011. Earlier versions, such as the version originally on my car, do not support connected drive or BMW Apps. My dealer updated the vehicle software to the most recent (2013) version. Then I was able to code for 6NR connected drive using the remote coding procedures of Bimmer Retrofit (for this you need a high speed internet connection, a PC [not a Mac], and a special coding cable, which you can buy from Bimmer Retrofit or get much cheaper through Amazon). Everything works fine using the USB cable. But the phone cradle doesn't work. I contacted Bimmer Retrofit about it and they indicate that I must have a feature 6NF installed for the cradle to work. I am thinking about whether I want to take that step because this is becoming a very expensive endeavor and the marginal utility is really zip, since I can just use the USB connection and get all the features that way.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Hi guys, I'm in the same boat. I have a 2011 (01/2011) 3.5. My car is at the dealer now to upgrade the software to the latest version. Once that is done, I will have Bimmer Retrofit code the car for 6NR Connected Drive (same thing as BMW Apps I guess).

If everything works fine over the USB cable, what is the desire for the snap-in adapter?

Also, Bimmer Retrofit has informed me that BMW Live (internet access) has been disabled by BMW for USA region. If that's the case, how is Connected Drive working? Is it using your iPhone's internet service? Anyway to hotspot the iPhone for BMW Live?

Thanks!