Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Uneven Rotor Wear ?!

Recently changed my brakes and rotors last weekend. They where put in 6 months ago. The driver rotor was SO bad when you spun it, it would spin in 8, it was beyond warped.

New rotors in, new brakes in.

2 Days later I am seeing uneven rotor wear, the brake pads are ONLY gripping on the bottom. See attached pix.

I am guessing this was the issue before as well, hence the rotor warping so quickly.

What is going on? Any thoughts?

2006 530i. Front rotors & brake pads.

ON PICTURES: The black line on rotor is where it is gripping, that is the brake grease.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3427.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	513402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3428.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	513403  

Last edited by bimmerFUNF; 06-08-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
What brand are those rotors and pads?
Who installed those rotors and pads?
When you replaced the rotors, did you remove the guide pins [on the caliper] and check they are moving freely? It's a good idea to clean them and grease them before installing those guide pins. If those pins don't glide freely, caliper may bind and cause excessive heat; that can cause rotors to warp.
Were the lug bolts tightened EVENLY?

Last edited by pcy; 06-08-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i; 2010 550i
read this for "warped" rotors

http://stoptech.com/technical-suppor...nd-other-myths
Old 06-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i, Fiat 500e
^this. Hopefully you bedded the pads to the new rotors. If not you can try to do the process again to see if that helps.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E45 map, Feul_it Stg2 LPFP, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
What brand are those rotors and pads?
Who installed those rotors and pads?
When you replaced the rotors, did you remove the guide pins [on the caliper] and check they are moving freely? It's a good idea to clean them and grease them before installing those guide pins. If those pins don't glide freely, caliper may bind and cause excessive heat; that can cause rotors to warp.
Were the lug bolts tightened EVENLY?

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1433785812.946730.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	513421 is this the guide pin you speak of sir?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
No, #6 or #7 in the diagram below
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMW_brake_components.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	513427  
Old 06-08-2015, 12:04 PM
Master of my domain

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
The Bentley manual actually recommends replacing these when servicing the brakes. If you reuse the old ones, make sure you don't over-torque them (22 ft-lbs). Ask me how I know...

Just in case, Napa Auto Parts carries #6 (but weirdly, not #7).
Old 06-08-2015, 12:26 PM

Uneven Rotor Wear ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98PoleCat View Post
The Bentley manual actually recommends replacing these when servicing the brakes. If you reuse the old ones, make sure you don't over-torque them (22 ft-lbs). Ask me how I know...

Just in case, Napa Auto Parts carries #6 (but weirdly, not #7).

Oh yes those are put back in. I was unaware those have to be replaced? They seemed like something that doesn't have to be replaced as they looked fine. They might've been over tightened .... And this can be the issue of the pads not touching entire rotor?

I can loosen them tonight see what happens.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerFUNF View Post
Oh yes those are put back in. I was unaware those have to be replaced? They seemed like something that doesn't have to be replaced as they looked fine. They might've been over tightened .... And this can be the issue of the pads not touching entire rotor?

I can loosen them tonight see what happens.
If the pads are binding you can almost always smell it and feel the calipers get hot.

Three things can bind a caliper or a pad: The pins, the pistons and (least often) the pad "ears".

1. Remove the pins and inspect them for rust (sounds like you did already). If clean, lube them with high-temp brake grease (lightly), then confirm that they move without binding in their guides. Replace them if rusty. Then torque the pins back in to the proper spec.

2. You may want to inspect the pad guides (the "ears" at the top and bottom of the assembly) to confirm they're not binding against to corresponding caliper points. The calipers rust, and a pad can get hung up there. Had a guy here who spray painted his caliper ears in place last year.

3. When apart, inspect the piston edges for rust. Inspect the dust boots for cracks. If you see any rust, you may have binding pistons. If the boots are cracked, you will need to replace them; and doing it pretty much requires you pull the pistons out of the calipers.

4. Pull the rotors and inspect the wheel hubs for crap where they contact the rotors. Crap can cause the rotors to be mounted a bit cockeyed. I always clean the mating surface when I replace the rotors.

Good luck.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 06-08-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
There are certain contact surfaces that need to be cleaned well and all gunk removed then coated lightly with anti squeak compound .. The caliper holder hammerhead guides , the flat piston surface , and certain spots on the calipers .

The guide pins only need to be cleaned ,,, and not greased .. Replace only if damaged ..

Quote:
Removing and installing/replacing brake linings on both front disc brakes

Important! The brake pad wear sensor must be replaced once it has been removed (brake pad wear sensor loses its retention capability in the brake pad).

Necessary preliminary tasks: Remove wheels Remove brake pad wear sensor
Observe safety instructions on raising the vehicle.

Lever out retaining spring (1) in direction of arrow towards rear.

Installation: Attach retaining spring (1) first at top and bottom and then allow retaining lug (2) to engage in recess of brake caliper housing.

Remove plastic plugs (1).

Left: Pull brake lining wear sensor (1) towards rear out of lining. Release guide screws (2) with special tool 34 1 080. Withdraw brake caliper backwards.

Installation: Only clean guide screws; do not grease.

Check threads. Replace all guide screws which are not in perfect condition.

Press back brake linings and piston with special tool 34 6 320.

Important! When forcing piston back:
- Pay attention to brake fluid level in expansion tank; brake fluid that spills over will damage paintwork.

Press brake linings inwards and remove. The two brake linings are seated with a spring in the piston or in the brake caliper housing and must not be mixed up.

Important! Mark any worn brake pads.
In the event of one-sided brake lining wear, do not change brake linings round. Observe minimum thickness of brake linings. Clean brake pads. Do not apply grease to brake pad backplate.

Check minimum brake disc thickness:
- Position special tool 34 1 280 at three measuring points in area (1) and measure.
- Compare measurement result and lowest value with setpoint value. New brake linings may only be installed if the brake disc thickness is greater than or equal to the minimum brake disc thickness (MIN TH).

Check dust sleeve (1) for damage and replace if necessary. Clean contact face (2) of brake piston and apply a thin coating of anti-squeak compound.

Important! Dust sleeve must not come into contact with anti-squeak compound as this may cause the dust sleeve to swell.

Clean mounting faces (1) and (2) of brake lining hammer heads/brake caliper housing and coat with anti-squeak compound.

Note: Grease contact surfaces on brake caliper at top and bottom.
Clean mounting face (3) of brake caliper and apply a thin coating of anti-squeak compound.

Clean brake caliper holder at hammerhead guides and apply a thin coating of anti-squeak compound Refer to BMW Service Operating Fluids.

Note: After completing work:
- Fully depress brake pedal several times so that brake linings contact brake discs.
- When installing new brake pads at front and rear axles, brake fluid level must be brought up to "MAX" marking
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RA Removing and installing replacing brake linings.pdf (631.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by H F; 06-09-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaazaa View Post
^this. Hopefully you bedded the pads to the new rotors. If not you can try to do the process again to see if that helps.
Good eye ! Booyaazaa ,,, Plus 1000.. Doesn't look like the rotors have been burnished,,, they don't have a good transfer layer on them ..

Check out this video has some great information ...

Last edited by H F; 06-09-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
There are certain contact surfaces that need to be cleaned well and all gunk removed then coated lightly with anti squeak compound .. The caliper holder hammerhead guides , the flat piston surface , and certain spots on the calipers .

The guide pins only need to be cleaned ,,, and not greased .. Replace only if damaged ..
Great writeup.

Generally, I agree with them; but I had a clean pin bind in my E46, so it's been my practice to put a very thin coating of high temp silicone grease on the pins when rebuilding. "thin" means no visible residue on the pin. YMMV, of course.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 06-10-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banglenot View Post
Great writeup.

Generally, I agree with them; but I had a clean pin bind in my E46, so it's been my practice to put a very thin coating of high temp silicone grease on the pins when rebuilding. "thin" means no visible residue on the pin. YMMV, of course.
So did u end up with a sticky caliper as a result of it binding ? Uneven pad wear between left and right side ? ..
Actually I've greased guide pins on both my cars and bikes . But I haven't on my 545 though , and haven't had any issues . Wonder what the reason is for no grease application on the TIS . Think I'm gonna try an find out the reasoning behind it .
Old 06-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Master of my domain

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
So did u end up with a sticky caliper as a result of it binding ? Uneven pad wear between left and right side ? ..
Actually I've greased guide pins on both my cars and bikes . But I haven't on my 545 though , and haven't had any issues . Wonder what the reason is for no grease application on the TIS . Think I'm gonna try an find out the reasoning behind it .
The reasoning is that the grease degrades the rubber sleeve more quickly. Like my momma said, though, "A little grease never hurt anyone!"

Disclaimer: I don't know that my mom ever said that, but it sounds like something someone's mom would say.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98PoleCat View Post
The reasoning is that the grease degrades the rubber sleeve more quickly. Like my momma said, though, "A little grease never hurt anyone!"

Disclaimer: I don't know that my mom ever said that, but it sounds like something someone's mom would say.
The TIS did mention,,,

Quote:
Important! Dust sleeve must not come into contact with anti-squeak compound as this may cause the dust sleeve to swell.
So there is the answer ..

If the rubber sleeve does swell ,, reckon it could crack. Causing it to degrade prematurely ,, and possibly allowing water into the pins , causing corrosion ...

Last edited by H F; 06-10-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Update.

Got new guide pins as shown on diagram. Oem pins.

Old ones had old hard smudge from the lube.

Installed the new guide pins on both sides, lubed the crap out of them. Cleaned the inside of the guide pin housing.

Now everything works like it should. Thank you !!!!!! Pads grip entire rotors
Old 07-25-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
The TIS did mention,,,

So there is the answer ..

If the rubber sleeve does swell ,, reckon it could crack. Causing it to degrade prematurely ,, and possibly allowing water into the pins , causing corrosion ...
Sorry, haven't seen this thread in awhile.

Good point, guys, but I do it with a difference. I use a very thin coating of high-temp silicone grease on the pins. Wikipedia: "Additionally, silicone grease does not swell or soften the rubber, which can be a problem with hydrocarbon based greases. It functions well as a corrosion-inhibitor and lubricant for purposes that require a thicker lubricant."

I agree with the TIS -- a hydrocarbon compound on the pins is a bad idea.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 07-25-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerFUNF View Post
Update.

Got new guide pins as shown on diagram. Oem pins.

Old ones had old hard smudge from the lube.

Installed the new guide pins on both sides, lubed the crap out of them. Cleaned the inside of the guide pin housing.

Now everything works like it should. Thank you !!!!!! Pads grip entire rotors
If you choose to lube them, you only need a very thin coating of high-temp silicone grease. Mostly, it'll keep the pins from corroding, and provide a bit of slippery. Lubing "the crap out of them" is specifically wrong, since you don't want to get grease on your pads or rotor surfaces, and if you used a hydrocarbon lube, you'll damage the pin dust seals.

Good luck.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years
Old 07-25-2015, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Does anyone know if the rear caliper slide pin torque specs are 22 ft-lbs as well? I did my rear brakes earlier this week but could not find a torque value so I tightened them up nicely but didn't go full gorilla on them.

I want to go back and torque them now.