Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Oil change requirement for RT66 warranty

Does Route66 require that you change oil every 3mo/3k to keep the warranty? This seems pretty excessive! It seems to be what they are saying and they will void warranty if you cannot prove it...
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2013, 09:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i
I have RT66 Easy Street coverage which says 6 month gap or 6000 miles oil change records which I verified with a rep.

I am following that rule. It makes engine run smooth and shifts quicks too.
2009 535i BSM/NB/Prem pkg, Sport pkg, comfort access, Navigation, Sport Transmission with Shift Paddles, PDC, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adaptor, Satellite Radio, BSW Stage 1 Speaker upgrade, JBL MS8 DSP, Technic Harness and BMW Individual co-axial center speaker ==> Superb Custom LOGIC 7, New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires! Route 66 Extended Warranty till 5+yrs:1/26/2018 or 100k miles, Beyern Spartan Chrome Concave Rotary Forged Wheels 18x8.5 ET15, 18x9.5 ET25.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mortyk
Mein Auto: 2010 535xi
shift quick?

What do oil changes have to do with shifting?
Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 AM

It is just my observation after each oil change! Car responds quicker and runs faster!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortyk View Post
What do oil changes have to do with shifting?
2009 535i BSM/NB/Prem pkg, Sport pkg, comfort access, Navigation, Sport Transmission with Shift Paddles, PDC, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adaptor, Satellite Radio, BSW Stage 1 Speaker upgrade, JBL MS8 DSP, Technic Harness and BMW Individual co-axial center speaker ==> Superb Custom LOGIC 7, New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires! Route 66 Extended Warranty till 5+yrs:1/26/2018 or 100k miles, Beyern Spartan Chrome Concave Rotary Forged Wheels 18x8.5 ET15, 18x9.5 ET25.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
That's all in your head buddy...

Are you allowed to do your own oil changes with their warranty? If so, what do you have to do to prove they were done?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
That's all in your head buddy...

Are you allowed to do your own oil changes with their warranty? If so, what do you have to do to prove they were done?
What I read from the fine print of contract says "need to show some records when needed upon claim" which should be from some kind of certified shops!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:55 AM

Unecessary frequent oil changes

I know I will get a lot of flack but just my 2 cents. Before this car I had a 99 750. I changed oil every 9k miles with Mobil 1 Synthetic. The car had 175k when I got rid of it . It used a quart at about 9k miles. Before that I had a 90 750 It had 230k miles when I sold it. Same story a quart low at about 9k. The government has gone after quick lube shops advertising the need to change oil every 3-4k miles.

Now I have looked at these boards for a lot of years and seen all kinds of problems reported and how to fix. Rarely, very rarely are any problems related to engine lubricating problems caused by not frequent enough oil changes.

That being said, I would change the oil to keep the car in warranty though if necessary.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
It is true that most of the discussion on the forums does not center around engine failure due to poor oil change practices. But keep in mind that the German car companies are some of the worst rated for engine failures in some studies (with BMW in the bottom ten of this particular list).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ty-survey.html

The goal is to change your oil while there are still required additives left in the oil (most additives being sacrificial). Oil doesn't age by miles, but rather by hours of engine operation. If your driving habits are such that 9000 miles equated to about 300 hours or less of engine operation then you are fine, and likely had a high enough level of additives left to protect the engine.

Regarding warranty services, no warranty company would beat you in arbitration if you prove the use of synthetic oil and change it every 6,000 miles.

Keep your receipts for oil purchases. I usually save the top from the cardboard filter box also. Keep a ledger of the date and mileage you change your oil and you will be fine.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:58 PM

Smile Oil change calculation

Let's see, using your info. Car computer says I am averaging 35.6 mph. 35.6 x 300 = 10680.
So at 9k intervals I am good to go.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535i
i'm baffled that Audi allows a 1 in 27 failure rate, and that Land Rover lands in the top 10 of reliability for anything.

1 in 45 is a pretty high failure rate (over 2%) for BMW. Be curious to know average mileage of the failure, etc.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
I have the rt66 policy and I usually stick to the 6000mi schedule. This is why it is good to have it done by the dealer for the documentation. IMHO: I think that the first (very early) oil change is critical to get the production/machining junk out. Mine was inadvertantly done at 1200 miles due to the 1year rule. It got me to think that this would be the way to go.

Last edited by njlou; 07-31-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i sport
I do the oil changes myself and I take pictures of the oil poured into the engine, with a newspaper showing the date and a mileage shot of the odometer. I hope that is proof enough.
2011 E90 M3 ESS VT1-550 (Sold)
2006 530i Sport (Sold)
2004 330i Sport (Sold)
Old 08-10-2013, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: '10 E61 535i xdrive
Oil change requirement for RT66 warranty

I was told by rep it was ok to follows manufacturer recommendations, no mileage requirement.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksaph10 View Post
I was told by rep it was ok to follows manufacturer recommendations, no mileage requirement.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I would agree with that IF the dealer were doing the oil changes, as they generally note when the CBM generated oil change notification has been passed by a substantial number of miles.

As you probably know, BMW's manufacturer recommendation for oil drain intervals is not made in miles, but rather by adherence to the Condition Based Maintenance system's recommendation, driven by the computer measuring a combination of miles, temperature, hours of operation and for new models a measure of the oil's dielectric constant.

However if you were doing it yourself or having an oil change place do it, who knows what the CBM said at the time the oil was changed.

Also, following the CBM is not recommended as in certain cases oil drain intervals following the CBM can reach 15,000 miles, which many knowledgeable in engine oil agree can leave the oil without proper additives and an acidic pH which can be detrimental to engine longevity.

One alternative many follow is to do an extra oil change themselves between each dealer oil change and not reset the CBM so that the dealer does them on schedule (per the CBM) but you have effectively cut the average drain interval in half.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi sport
On the route 66 contract it says that you need to follow manufacturers recommended maintenance intervals. Not 6000 miles! There is so much misinformation being distributed on this forum. Why would you ever call one of their reps to ask this question when it is clearly spelled out on the service contract, note that the reps you are talking to are basically disinterested call center employees that have no clue what the contract says.

If anyone wants to see the a copy of the contract I will gladly email a copy over, just send me a PM

Also, you can change your own oil on any service contract, just keep receipts and a log book and you are covered.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore01 View Post
On the route 66 contract it says that you need to follow manufacturers recommended maintenance intervals. Not 6000 miles! There is so much misinformation being distributed on this forum. Why would you ever call one of their reps to ask this question when it is clearly spelled out on the service contract, note that the reps you are talking to are basically disinterested call center employees that have no clue what the contract says.

If anyone wants to see the a copy of the contract I will gladly email a copy over, just send me a PM

Also, you can change your own oil on any service contract, just keep receipts and a log book and you are covered.
Check this (image) out which is #2 on my contract! It says max 6000 miles or 6 months between oil changes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	391153  
Old 08-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi sport
Strange

Bimmerg

What is the year and model that you are covering with the route 66 warranty and when did you get it?

Here is the text from mine:

TERMS OF AGREEMENT
1. This Agreement becomes valid from the date of receipt and acceptance by the Administrator and will remain valid for the period selected or maximum mileage of the Agreement whichever comes first. There is no deductible.
2. Vehicle owner MUST perform all maintenance as required by the manufacturer for coverage to apply. Proof of compliance containing the date of service, name of facility, mileage and vehicle identification number must be supplied upon request.

Mine is a 2010 535xi purchased in Feb 2013.

It seems very odd they would have different requirements unless it pertains to specific legal requirements in each state.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmoore01 View Post
Bimmerg

What is the year and model that you are covering with the route 66 warranty and when did you get it?

Here is the text from mine:

TERMS OF AGREEMENT
1. This Agreement becomes valid from the date of receipt and acceptance by the Administrator and will remain valid for the period selected or maximum mileage of the Agreement whichever comes first. There is no deductible.
2. Vehicle owner MUST perform all maintenance as required by the manufacturer for coverage to apply. Proof of compliance containing the date of service, name of facility, mileage and vehicle identification number must be supplied upon request.

Mine is a 2010 535xi purchased in Feb 2013.

It seems very odd they would have different requirements unless it pertains to specific legal requirements in each state.
Mine is 2009 535i with sport pkg. It may be credit union specific paper work, but, when I called Rt 66, she, in the beginning, seems to not see/know what I was talking about. She said follow what paper work says!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: '10 550i M-Sport
I just called up Route 66, and the guy there told me that they do give you some leeway with the 3000 mile oil change, as long as it's done consistently around the same intervals. However, he did recommend not to exceed 5000 miles between OCIs, because after that point they may pay out less (if at all) for any future warranty work. Of course, you'll need to save your work orders if you get it done at a shop, or if you DIY, save your receipts and take a picture of your odometer with the date.

I know, I know... Holy thread resurrection, Batman! But I thought it would be helpful.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search