Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-13-2015, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Rotors get hot then the car shakes

I have found that when I am doing some spirited driving and my rotors get hot car will shake when I apply the brakes. After the rotors cool down and I get back in the car to drive it , Feels okay. My question is if this because my rotors are warped?

2008 BMW 535i
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2015, 11:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
During spirited driving there has to be a proper balance .. Being in the correct gear , and high rpm's for engine braking entering into the turns . You will find that entering turns within lower gears and higher rpm's the car will corner nicer and exit out the turns better while being in the power band . Other wise you will cook the brakes by using them too much .
Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 AM

I may have Miss used the term spirited. Allow me to rephrase when I'm driving the car a little harder then normal driving and I apply the brakes a little harder than usual after a few times of doing this and the rotors get some heat to them they begin to shake pretty violently during braking. After rotors cool all is well. Would adding heat to an already warped rotor cause it to shake more then a rotor that is cool?

2008 BMW 535i
Old 02-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
I would would say yes ,, once they are overheated and warp thier toast .. Do you feel it in the steering wheel also when you step on the brake ?
Old 02-13-2015, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: E60 M5
If they only shake after heating up, then I would say it's your rotors. If it happens even when cold, then you might have bad control arm bushings.

2008 335xi - Coupe - MT - Alpine White - Saddle Brown Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Cold Weather Package - JB4 *sold*

Old 02-13-2015, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i 6MT
Not uncommon at all to have your symptoms with rotors. Some issues with the castings will cause this and also a vehicle that sits in one place for several wet n dry cycles like multiple rainstorms or parked where lawn sprinkler wets brakes daily can rust pads to rotors and the one spot oxidation that goes subsurface can make that one spot have different properties. The reason you see deli platter covers or other wheel covers on new vehicle on transporters is for storage at ports where the cyclic wetting w/o being moved can happen.

Regardless of cause you need rotors. If it is felt w/o shaking steering wheel that usually means rears and vibes in steering wheel would mean fronts.
The bolts and bushings need to be lubricates to assure the calipers can freely move so pad retraction gets pads clear of rotors as that can also lead to rotor problems but usually not temp dependent ones.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
I would would say yes ,, once they are overheated and warp thier toast .. Do you feel it in the steering wheel also when you step on the brake ?

Yes.

2008 BMW 535i
Old 02-13-2015, 08:28 PM

Do I have to buy bmw rotors or can I get away with a different brand? Is there really a big difference or is BMW just proud of their name?

2008 BMW 535i