Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW Z4
B-pillar Satellite location?

Recently I took my '04 Z4 to a certified BMW shop and they told me that my B-pillar Satellite sensor for the airbag system has gone bad. The guy I spoke to hinted at a location in the door. I ordered a new part, but the Internet can't seem to tell me where I need to remove the old and insert the new part. Does anyone have a picture or description of where they replaced their SBSR module?
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0

A B pillar in a convertible? With a satellite sensor?? I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds to me you probably went to the P.T. Barnum Repair Shop.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Picture of it here.. they even sell the part.
Mechanic was at certified BMW Dealership.

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E85/Roadster/USA/Z4_2.5i-M54/browse/audio_navigation_electronic_systems/electric_parts_airbag/

I just can't seem to find any kind of how-to or DIY for the work..
Old 11-03-2016, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0

Sorry.
I stand corrected. Just sounds really weird.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:47 AM

**Update** Found the SBSR..

After some pretty extensive searching and randomly removing anything behind my seat that came off, I found the positioning of the B-pillar airbag satellite sensor on the passenger side (SBSR)(US). Here is how I did it:
..Keep in mind, working on a vehicle yourself can be risky in many ways. I am not an expert and this only serves as reference, so work on your vehicle at your risk and costs..

1. Move seat as forward as it will go.
2. Remove negative battery cable (I figured it was a good idea when working with airbag components).
3. Remove main rear speaker cover to reveal 5 phillips-head screws holding panel and cabin upholstery in place.
4. Remove, at least, bottom 3 to allow re-positioning of upholstery lining the cabin
5. Pull back half of the door jam gasket for removal of middle inside panel on frame for passenger door being careful not to break any panel clips hooked to the frame(for further re-positioning of upholstery lining).
6. Working carefully, remove upholstery from below speaker panelling and door frame paneling, pulling it down to the floor behind the seat. This exposes your car's frame and SBSR near the floor to the right of where your seat would normally be.
7. Remove both cables hooked to SBSR using flat screwdriver or knife to compress each clip's safety latch.
8. Remove 3 securing nuts fastening the SBSR to frame.
9. Have sensor tested or replaced.
10. Re-install all nuts, clips, screws, panels, upholstery, and covers to vehicle operating condition.

If you had any airbag indicator lights, replacing the unit won't turn these lights off. You will still need to reset with an INPA or at a trusted shop, but it should at least remove the issue causing the light. If you are experiencing a problematic SBSL, or airbag satellite sensor on the driver side(US), the process should be the same except for the side of the car you are working on. I'll try to upload pictures of the items I have referenced soon for better guidance.

I hope this helps

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
airbag, b-pillar, satellite, sbsr

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search