Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:08 PM
gatorjaws

Mein Auto: 2013 x5 35d
software and cable

i know that this has been discussed and so apologize for this thread.I did do a search but so many opinions out there. I am about to start on my DIY journey(2013 X5d) and want to do simple tasks like oil and filter changes,brakes, suspension,and other tasks that require common tools.my profession was welder and mechanic in coal,gas and nuclear generating stations so I am sure that I am up to most tasks(I also restored a 1966 230sl MB).
I have no idea what software and cable to buy that will help to reset the computer after these functions and so am asking for help with what to buy.Again, sorry for the rehash.Please be as basic as you can about what I should buy because if you aren't I won't understand what you are talking about! I can barely type with one finger and really can't do much more than text and make calls on my iphone.
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2016, 10:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Look into Carly for BMW you need to purchase a dongle that communicates with a phone app, no cables involved and the UI is fairly simple for this kind of application.
You can read and reset codes, reset service lights, monitor function (temp, voltage, more...), reset battery, customize functions (lighting etc..)
When I bought mine, the dongle was $70, app $40, battery reset option $10. Rough quotes from memory, could be slightly off. Reason I bought it was to reset battery on my E63 650, but I've used it to reset service on E46, and it will work on E70 as well as our F3?.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:32 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
I used Carly for BMW with my Android OS and am about to repurchase Carly and dongle for my iPhone/iPad.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: E70 35D
Same here www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app
The hardest part was getting the phones OS to communicate with software
In my case a SAMSUNG tAB 2 10.1 sch I915 VZW that had ANDROID os 4.1.2 that needed root access to work smootly and bluetooth auto connect app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oconnect&hl=en
to stabilize the connection
Iphone would have been an easier option( maybe)...
I first tried the other route with Chinese OBDII cable to USB (Cheap) on laptop then desktop with Win XP etc ,found all software online... but cable was a dud.
Almost made me give up,The US$180 scan fee at dealer sounded like a neccesary cost...BUT
Since I got Carly it has paid for itself..A bonus is that the Bluetooth dongle they send you works with Other vehicles as well The Carly Dongle combination with Torque app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
works great for code resets amongst other things for Audi's.
Carly has good representation.in the US in Vegas so Carly adapter was here in a day.You then download the free version if you can make it run good on your platform (Android or IOS) you buy the pro version Spend some more money for the parts that you need to use .F.e: coding option enabled costs around US$10 as an paypal in app enabled option that turns green when bought otherwise option is red colored
http://www.archer-soft.com/en/blog/7...-apps-your-car
is a good read if you want some more info on the OBDII port terminology and software .What it doesn't do is generate FSC codes for Nav updates :-) I asked the guy in Germany if he could make this an other option in the software but He said he couldn't as he lives down the street from BMW and they wouldn't like it as they charge for a map update. After reading on the http://www.bmwcoding.com/
site I still want to go the other route but Carly is great for quick resets and fault analysis on the road.

Last edited by Ardie; 09-23-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 AM
gatorjaws

Mein Auto: 2013 x5 35d
thank you all! I am going to go with Carly. Which Dongle? The wifi?
P.S. I had to look up and see what a dongle was. Also do I plug this Dongle into the port in the "glove box"?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorjaws View Post
thank you all! I am going to go with Carly. Which Dongle? The wifi?
P.S. I had to look up and see what a dongle was. Also do I plug this Dongle into the port in the "glove box"?
No, the OBD port in the driver's footwell.

The iOS Carly needs the WiFi adapter dongle. The Android OS Carly needs the BT adapter dongle.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 09-23-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardie View Post
In my case a SAMSUNG tAB 2 10.1 sch I915 VZW that had ANDROID os 4.1.2 that needed root access to work smootly and bluetooth auto connect app
I first tried the other route with Chinese OBDII cable to USB (Cheap) on laptop then desktop with Win XP etc ,found all software online... but cable was a dud.
Almost made me give up,The US$180 scan fee at dealer sounded like a neccesary cost...BUT
Since I got Carly it has paid for itself..A bonus is that the Bluetooth dongle they send you works with Other vehicles as well The Carly Dongle combination with Torque app
Carly has good representation.in the US in Vegas so Carly adapter was here in a day.You then download the free version if you can make it run good on your platform (Android or IOS) you buy the pro version Spend some more money for the parts that you need to use .F.e: coding option enabled costs around US$10 as an paypal in app enabled option that turns green when bought otherwise option is red colored
is a good read if you want some more info on the OBDII port terminology and software .What it doesn't do is generate FSC codes for Nav updates :-) I asked the guy in Germany if he could make this an other option in the software but He said he couldn't as he lives down the street from BMW and they wouldn't like it as they charge for a map update. After reading on the http://www.bmwcoding.com/
site I still want to go the other route but Carly is great for quick resets and fault analysis on the road.
Couldnt let the screen name go by un-commented upon.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Nuclear engineer

LOL. Missed it.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: E70 35D
It's my hound's name.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardie View Post
So besides $20 difference, the way these communicate (BT vs Wifi), some troubles connecting via BT, there is no other differences between IOS and Android versions, especially functionality wise?

I am inclined to purchase BT version because it is easier to get hold of inexpensive Android device rather than anything cheap from Apple.

Last edited by mkal; 09-23-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: mistype
Old 09-23-2016, 01:29 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkal View Post
I am inclined to purchase BT version because it is easier to get hold of inexpensive Android device rather than anything cheap from Apple.
I imagine the decision is usually based on which device-OS is already in hand.

I believe that the second generation WiFi adapter does not have to be removed, unplugged, when not in use. I was quite disconcerted the few times that I forgot.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search